AdamKendall

Weekend Thread 12/28-12/30 AQM 51.5 MPR 28 BB 20.5 ITSV 18.3

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

These Christmas releases can’t compare to Netflix’s BIRD BOX, which had 45,037,125 accounts view it in it’s first seven days. Accounts, which I’m guessing a large portion are 2 or more people. That’s crazy! 

45m! 

And the film is excellent. Easily in my top 10 of the year btw. 

Between me (logged in on the living room TV) and my boyfriend (bedroom TV), that's 4 "viewings" on two accounts right here. Only cause the first time I started the movie and went out grocery shopping while the TV was on, the second time it played in the background while I was building some ikea crap, third time fell asleep and fourth I actually watched it. So, yes... Excuse me if I don't take these numbers seriously. It's BRIGHT all over again, just with a marginally better movie. 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Between me (logged in on the living room TV) and my boyfriend (bedroom TV), that's 4 "viewings" on two accounts right here. Only cause the first time I started the movie and went out grocery shopping while the TV was on, the second time it played in the background while I was building some ikea crap, third time fell asleep and fourth I actually watched it. So, yes... Excuse me if I don't take these numbers seriously. It's BRIGHT all over again, just with a marginally better movie. 

My account might count for one viewing when I accidentally started it when scrolling before turning it off after 3 minutes.

But more importantly - why do you have separate Netflix accounts?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

My account might count for one viewing when I accidentally started it when scrolling before turning it off after 3 minutes.

But more importantly - why do you have separate Netflix accounts?

My boyfriend watches a lot of crap, so I don't want his viewing habits to even MARGINALLY infect mine. Well, that and my account is already connected on a lot of devices, his account came free with his phone contract and he just logged in on the bedroom TV and we left it like that cause... Why not? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

How many times you’ve “viewed” it is irrelevant as that’s not what Netflix is counting. They just counted how many accounts viewed it. And if you and your boyfriend both viewed it on your accounts then that would be two accounts who viewed it. Not four. Unless you each have two accounts which if you do, that’s not exactly normal (no offense :lol:)

Having said that, as @TalismanRing pointed out, we don’t know if these accounts actually finished the film or not. But to Netflix, I don’t think they care. They got the buzz they wanted for the movie. 

And regardless, if only half of the said accounts that Netflix reported watched the movie in full, that’s still over 20 million people who saw it. And judging by how I’ve seen all my friends talk about this movie on Facebook, Twitter etc I really don’t think Netflix is trying to make the movie bigger than it is. And regarding your comment about BRIGHT. I don’t know what you’re trying to say. Netflix obviously gained something out of the movie otherwise they wouldn’t have ordered a sequel for it. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Nova said:

How many times you’ve “viewed” it is irrelevant as that’s not what Netflix is counting. They just counted how many accounts viewed it. And if you and your boyfriend both viewed it on your accounts then that would be two accounts who viewed it. Not four. Unless you each have two accounts which if you, that’s not exactly normal (no offense :lol:)

Having said that, as @TalismanRing pointed out, we don’t know if these accounts actually finished the film or not. But to Netflix, I don’t think they care. They got the buzz they wanted for the movie. 

Regardless, if only half of the said accounts that Netflix reported watched the movie in full, that’s still over 20 million people who saw it. And judging by how I’ve seen all my friends talk about this movie on Facebook, Twitter etc I really don’t think Netflix is trying to make the movie bigger than it is. And regarding your comment about BRIGHT. I don’t know what you’re trying to say. Netflix obviously gained something out of the movie otherwise they wouldn’t have ordered a sequel for it. 

Yes, I realise the difference between accounts and viewings, thanks - hence why I specified it. The point is these numbers are irrelevant when trying to somehow force a comparison with theatrical releases. What I'm saying is I've seen this argument with Bright before - if it were in cinemas, it would have opened to 100 million... Ridiculous. 

And I don't think Netflix is necessarily inflating the numbers, but they are definitely maximising them to drive a story - and it's clearly working. They know original content is the only thing that will keep them going in two years' time, so they're doing what they need to do. Good for them. But using these numbers in a "Ha! So many more people watched this than the Christmas releases" discussion is silly. 

Edited by reddevil19

The netflix numbers are interesting but have very little comparison to the box office. The difference between watching a movie on netflix and going to the cinema is massive. Totally different acts in terms of level of effort, time, and intention. Oh and cost.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, boyamama said:

lol why u guys talking about netflix @ box-office thread..............:Gaga:

Because Netflix is the Thanos of cinematic industry, it wipe out half of the theater attendance, threatening the fun of box office, and the existence of BOT  

• Haha 1

What is interesting about Netflix, and unlike any other video subscription service that I know of, is its global reach. Its growth internationally has been even stronger than in the US, and it still has plenty of room to grow in different markets. And it produces a lot of excellent international original content, like the Brazilian dystopian series 3% and the Spanish crime-thriller Money Heist, etc, etc. And the diverse original content that it produces is available globally. They are finding talent around the world, both within and outside Hollywood system, and producing movies and shows that become hits locally and globally. Seeing what is possible with Bird Box and a star like Sandra Bullock, it will be interesting to see what kinds of movies Netflix produces in the future that could become global cinematic hits. Netflix is creating global television, global media, in a way that no one has ever done before.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Because Netflix is the Thanos of cinematic industry, it wipe out half of the theater attendance, threatening the fun of box office, and the existence of BOT  

not really,unless netflix can match the quality of IMAX 3D....