Little Women

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

The Pope

Queen & Slim

Us

Wendy

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I feel like Ad Astra is going to be another Annihilation.  Good, slept on Sci-Fi that doesn’t get much notice by the end of the year.

Who are you to bring such vile words into our place of worship?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Who are you to bring such vile words into our place of worship?

You see, if Ad Astra gets too many people predicting it at the beginning of the year, it’s cursed into being an Awards bust.

Just like the early front runners Vice, First Man, Unbroken, Carol, Silence, The Disaster Artist, Birth of a Nation, Detroit, Downsizing, Billy Lynn, Sully, Passengers, Joy, The Hateful Eight, Sicario, Trumbo, In the Heart I’d the Sea, Interstellar, Inherent Vice, Gone Girl, Into the Woods, Exodus, etc.

Getting mentioned on the first page as a contender is typically a curse, trying to save poor James Gray from the cruel fate.

• Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

You see, if Ad Astra gets too many people predicting it at the beginning of the year, it’s cursed into being an Awards bust.

Just like the early front runners Vice, First Man, Unbroken, Carol, Silence, The Disaster Artist, Birth of a Nation, Detroit, Downsizing, Billy Lynn, Sully, Passengers, Joy, The Hateful Eight, Sicario, Trumbo, In the Heart I’d the Sea, Interstellar, Inherent Vice, Gone Girl, Into the Woods, Exodus, etc.

Getting mentioned on the first page as a contender is typically a curse, trying to save poor James Gray from the cruel fate.

Coward. True believers support Ad Astra unconditionally.

• Like 1

Not really related to Picture, but this thread gets more attention and I'm a like whore:

I'm gonna be bold and say Cynthia Erivo in Harriet will will Best Actress. Picking up some Gary Oldman in Darkest Hour vibes (hopefully not the performance, more her being the big frontrunner even before the movie comes out).

Also gonna say that Lupita gets in for Us, but the movie doesn't get in for BP.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Not really related to Picture, but this thread gets more attention and I'm a like whore:

I'm gonna be bold and say Cynthia Erivo in Harriet will will Best Actress. Picking up some Gary Oldman in Darkest Hour vibes (hopefully not the performance, more her being the big frontrunner even before the movie comes out).

Also gonna say that Lupita gets in for Us, but the movie doesn't get in for BP.

This is another one of your "controversial" predictions. I think she's most people's early pick in that category.

Margot Robbie in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood feels like an obvious early frontrunner that could be hard to beat if everything goes right. She’s playing a victim and it could potentially be her third nomination in as many years (assuming she also gets nominated this year). Doesn’t hurt that she’ll be everywhere promoting Birds of Prey during Oscar season as well.

17 hours ago, The Panda said:

Let’s go at it and give some of our wack beginning of the year predicts

Im going to shoot for 4 of these being right

Picture

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

The Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Little Women

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

The Pope

Queen & Slim

Us

Wendy

I had to check what the hell most of those movies are and the names behind them...

The Pope?

I'm not ready to predict nominees just yet but I'm willing to say which movies I'm rooting for at this point.

I want 1917 to be the next Dunkirk. Sam Mendes deserves it.

Not sure how A24 will factor into the next race but Julianne Moore is a solid actress contender for Gloria Bell; in all likelihood, the March release will hurt chances. I'm sure they'll want to push Native Son as a big contender. Can't wait for all the premieres at the Sundance Film Festival.

Part of me wants Knives Out to have everyone say "oh my gosh look at this thriller", but I think it will ultimately go the way of Widows. Unless it's of undeniable quality.

Speaking of iffy genre options, I can't wait to see what Ang Lee has in store with Gemini Man. Just like Knives Out, I feel like it'd have to be of undeniable quality.

Bill Condon's got an Oscar film with Ian McKellan and Helen Mirren called The Good Liar. It's releasing straight to wide in November, as is Queen & Slim.

And people will laugh at me for this. But I'd be remiss not to consider Cats. Tom Hooper's past films, The King's Speech and Les Miserables, were both excellent--certainly not meritless--even if there were more 'complete' and 'memorable' films in their years. Musicals can capture a certain zeitgeist, so I'm not willing to count it out just yet. But I do acknowledge that it has to be really good to stand a chance.

Edited by Slambros

On 1/3/2019 at 7:45 AM, WrathOfHan said:

I'm not posting predictions rn so I don't embarrass myself, but I'll remain skeptical of Harriet until reviews are in. Kasi Lemmons is a hit or miss director (though if it follows that trajectory, this will be well received)

Coward, be bold so we all have something to laugh at next year.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:20 AM, stripe said:

I had to check what the hell most of those movies are and the names behind them...

The Pope?

Jonathan Pryce is playing Pope Francis from the director of City of God, written by the writer of Darkest Hour and Theory of Everything,

Synopsis: “Explores the relationship and opposing visions between two of the most powerful leaders in the Catholic Church, both of whom must address their own pasts and the demands of the modern world in order to move the church forward.”

Edited by The Panda
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1