The Panda

Best Picture Predictions - 2019

12 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Panama Papers, Pentagon Papers. We need to complete her pp trifecta.

How about the Pyongyang Papers?

Though I dunno what character she'd play in a film about North Korea.

Edited by Slambros

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Amazon just purchased The Report and plans to release it in the third quarter. Have to imagine they'll also be taking it to Telluride/TIFF as well. Adam Driver coming for back-to-back nominations!

They've really hit it big at Sundance this year, between this and their other purchase, Last Night. They'll be a major player at the coming Oscars; they definitely still have campaign prowess if they can get Cold War that directing nomination.

11 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

They're all paying way too much for these Sundance movies. Maybe one or two will become actual Oscar contenders. Last year all the Sundance movies kind of died on Oscar morning  and the only nomination was for a documentary lol

It's not necessarily about them becoming contenders, it's about them becoming surprise hits or connecting with a certain audience.  Hereditary, Searching, Sorry to Bother You, Won't You Be My Neighbor?, RBG, Three Identical Strangers, and Eighth Grade were all Sundance films that did very well for the kind of film that they are.  Others like Leave No Trace, Blindspotting, Wildlife, Miseducation of Cameron Post etc. were big critical successes.  And it's not like it's out of the ordinary for a Sundance hit to later become an Oscar player (Call Me by Your Name, Manchester by the Sea, Brooklyn, Whiplash, Beasts of the Southern Wild, etc.)

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It's not necessarily about them becoming contenders, it's about them becoming surprise hits or connecting with a certain audience.  Hereditary, Searching, Sorry to Bother You, Won't You Be My Neighbor?, RBG, Three Identical Strangers, and Eighth Grade were all Sundance films that did very well for the kind of film that they are.  Others like Leave No Trace, Blindspotting, Wildlife, Miseducation of Cameron Post etc. were big critical successes.  And it's not like it's out of the ordinary for a Sundance hit to later become an Oscar player (Call Me by Your Name, Manchester by the Sea, Brooklyn, Whiplash, Beasts of the Southern Wild, etc.)

Doing well for the types of films they are (most of those made like $2-15m)  doesn't really justify paying $14m per acquisition though. The Netflix/Amazon inflation is behind that but what can you do..

D3RATw_W4AMcMBS.jpg&key=2b3b49afa6a1098d

So, after seeing this image, and after considering how Disney and Fox have merged, I have to ask. How much more of a chance do films like The Woman in the WindowFord v. FerrariAd Astra, and Call of the Wild have at gaining a leg up when it comes time for the Oscars? We all know about the relationship between Disney and ABC. It's an interesting thought, to say the least.

10 hours ago, Slambros said:

D3RATw_W4AMcMBS.jpg&key=2b3b49afa6a1098d

So, after seeing this image, and after considering how Disney and Fox have merged, I have to ask. How much more of a chance do films like The Woman in the WindowFord v. FerrariAd Astra, and Call of the Wild have at gaining a leg up when it comes time for the Oscars? We all know about the relationship between Disney and ABC. It's an interesting thought, to say the least.

I doubt The Woman in the Window is really going anywhere aside from Adams. A few mentions here and there for her ala Emily Blunt in The Girl on the Train is the best case scenario probably.

Ford v. Ferrari is opening in the same spot where Widows ended up foundering last year but I imagine the combo of Bale and Damon (crazy to think this is the first time they've ever crossed paths creatively) and some action pieces will ensure this is a bigger deal than that movie was.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Slambros said:

a disney movie has never won best picture. fox were probably better campaigners than disney ever were so i don't think this'll help those films at all.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

fox were probably better campaigners than disney ever were so i don't think this'll help those films at all.

Is it confirmed those jobs will be made redundant? If not, Disney could still keep that division of Fox running since it's a lot stronger than they are.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I won't rule out the possibility of Disney ended up sell off Fox Searchlight. It wasn't really synchronize with the Disney family friendly tent-pole/ blockbuster oriented strategy.

Eh, they want more awards recognition and the movies they actually produce aren't cutting it (Black Panther aside). I can see them keeping Fox Searchlight around as long as they bring in the awards attention.