The Panda

Best Picture Predictions - 2019

To me, only one between the Parasite and The farewell will be nominated for best picture.

It is extremely hard to accommodate two asian-centric films in just 8-9 nominees   

As for the rest of the nominees, the box office will shape up their chances.

Last year, First Man and Widow with Oscar friendly cast and crew, died off quickly after the flopped at the box office.

Even Beale street got left out as too many black-centric film around (Black panther and blackkklansman) despite doing super good at indie market 

Already seen and in the run

Joker

Once upon a time in Hollywood

Farewell

A beautiful day in the neighborhood

Jojo Rabbit

Ford v Ferrari

Seen and... Maybe?

Hustlers

A hidden life

Marriage story

Unseen, but watch out!

Irishman

Queen and Slim

Harriet

Little Women

• Like 1

1. Marriage Story

2. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

3. Joker

4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

5. Parasite

6. The Farewell

7. Ford v Ferrari

8. Little Women

9. Knives Out

10. Ad Astra

Alt: The Irishman

I feel very confident about the top 5 getting in and somewhat confident about Farewell and FVF. After that? 😬 We’ll see where the race/narrative ends up after TIFF ends

Marriage Story

The Farewell

Parasite

The Irishman

Knives Out

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

On the cusp:  Ford v Ferrari, The Hustlers, Waves

in The Running: Uncut Gems, The Two Popes, The Lighthouse

As of now the only potential players that haven't been screened yet are The Irishman, 1917  and Little WomenScorsese gets my benefit of the doubt, the other two - much less so.   I'm not going in for Little Women - the dozenth adaptation of the novel when there are more interesting fresh movies by other female directors in the hunt? 

Right now, I'm not seeing Joker in Best Picture.  It has a lot of passionate supporters but Top Critics so far on RT overall isn't too hot on it and it's sitting at 75 on MC.  Phoenix is it's big chance.

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

As of now the only potential players that haven't been screened yet are The Irishman, 1917  and Little WomenScorsese gets my benefit of the doubt, the other two - much less so.   I'm not going in for Little Women - the dozenth adaptation of the novel when there are more interesting fresh movies by other female directors in the hunt? 

It was talked about a while ago but Little Women is that end-of-year, buzzed-about-from-announcement contender this year. Should also make a nice sum of money over the holidays too. Unless the movie is a Nine-level flop, it should be safely in.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Right now, I'm not seeing Joker in Best Picture.  It has a lot of passionate supporters but Top Critics so far on RT overall isn't too hot on it and it's sitting at 75 on MC.  Phoenix is it's big chance.

You're valuing the RT score way too much. As long as the movie has an metacritic score of above 60, it has a good chance of getting nominated. All that matters now is the campaign. Can see this do well in the Oscars for similar reasons Bohemian Rhapsody did (about a person people from multiple generations know about, amazing lead performance, and great box-office). WB is already doing an amazing job with the campaign for this movie so I think it'll get in. I think it will get nominations for adapted screenplay, score, and editing too. 

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

You're valuing the RT score way too much. As long as the movie has an metacritic score of above 60, it has a good chance of getting nominated. All that matters now is the campaign. Can see this do well in the Oscars for similar reasons Bohemian Rhapsody did (about a person people from multiple generations know about, amazing lead performance, and great box-office). WB is already doing an amazing job with the campaign for this movie so I think it'll get in. I think it will get nominations for adapted screenplay, score, and editing too. 

Currently, I don't see it winning lots of critics award leading into Oscar (except for Phoenix) which is a big part of any Oscar campaign and there have been a lot of high quality films coming out of these festivals this year. 

Though I'm still scratching my head about it's inclusion BR was a $900m behemoth "fun movie"  that most importantly appealed to the older demos of the Academy.

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It was talked about a while ago but Little Women is that end-of-year, buzzed-about-from-announcement contender this year. Should also make a nice sum of money over the holidays too. Unless the movie is a Nine-level flop, it should be safely in.

I just don't get it, probably b/c I've already seen about  5 versions of it. 

It would be far more exciting if Neon could get the raved about Portrait of A Lady n Fire into the race but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by TalismanRing

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I just don't get it, probably b/c I've already seen about  5 versions of it. 

Being the umpteenth version of A Star is Born (and that's just including official remakes) didn't hold that movie back from coming close to maxing out its Oscar nom potential last year.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Being the umpteenth version of A Star is Born (and that's just including official remakes) didn't hold that movie back from coming close to maxing out its Oscar nom potential last year.

At least that one had  a lot of original music to make it a bit different.   I'd be more interested if they were adapting the opera version of Little Women.