The Panda

Best Picture Predictions - 2019

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Will Parasite be Bong Joon Ho’s first nomination? Idk maybe. 

It's weird that Bong feels more likely to get a screenplay nom with this movie than win foreign language film. It's crazy that South Korea still hasn't won that category after having such a big impact in world cinema during the last 20 years.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Joel M said:

It's weird that Bong feels more likely to get a screenplay nom with this movie than win foreign language film. It's crazy that South Korea still hasn't won that category after having such a big impact in world cinema during the last 20 years.

or even... been nominated. 

obviously basically only the good stuff makes it over to western shores but it feels like their cinema is in something of a golden age rn.

• Like 1

They 've been in golden age since at least the early 00s. Bong, Park Chan Wook and Kim Jee Won have been the figureheads that broke through to western audiences but I 've seen many other good Korean movies in the last 20 years in many different genres. I'm sure they also produce a lot of jank every year but who doesn't.

• Like 1

How's EG nomination looking? I do expect AMPAS to think they awarded Marvel and SH genre last year with BP's picture nom and Costume/Score/Song wins but you never know. something has to take the blockbuster spot and PGA is going to nominate it as their Top 10.

Edited by Valonqar

meh won't happen. this is more like a force awakens/mission impossible type deal where people talked about how they could maybe get nominated for best picture for like a week before coming to their senses.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

How's EG nomination looking? I do expect AMPAS to think they awarded Marvel and SH genre last year with BP's picture nom and Costume/Score/Song wins but you never know. something has to take the blockbuster spot and PGA is going to nominate it as their Top 10.

My post-Cannes viewpoint:

I don't think that prospect is looking good to be honest. Many of the prestige films and independent films we've seen are bringing their A-game (The Lighthouse, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, A Hidden Life, The Farewell, The Report), and many of the Oscar/independent films we haven't seen seem like all of their pieces are coming together very quickly.

Yes, Black Panther was able to get nominated, but part of the reason was how weak the competition turned out to be. Endgame may be the biggest blockbuster of the year, but a lot of Oscar voters will want to vote for the excellent and meaningful Oscar/independent films instead.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Related image

2 hours ago, Slambros said:

I don't think that prospect is looking good to be honest. Many of the prestige films and independent films we've seen are bringing their A-game (The Lighthouse, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, A Hidden Life, The Farewell, The Report), and many of the Oscar/independent films we haven't seen seem like all of their pieces are coming together very quickly.

Yes, Black Panther was able to get nominated, but part of the reason was how weak the competition turned out to be. Endgame may be the biggest blockbuster of the year, but a lot of Oscar voters will want to vote for the excellent and meaningful Oscar/independent films instead.

and @filmlover thank you! I thought so. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 10:47 PM, Jonwo said:

I'll be curious  to see which of WB's fall dramas Motherless Brooklyn, Torrance and potentially Just Mercy will get the awards push. The Good Liar could sneak in there if it's good.

Just Mercy's scheduled for January 2020, and I've nothing about plans for a limited release before then.

Just Mercy seems to be a big award player considering its topic. I would be very happy if Brie Larson snatch another nomination this year. 

This way she can balance both types of role. 

Many movies with huge potential in the horizon, and Just Mercy also enters the fight for awards recognition

Ford v Ferrari

Harriet

Just Mercy

Once upon a time in Hollywood

Goldfinch

Beautiful day in the neighbourhood

Good Liar

Ad Astra

Queen and Slim

JoJo Rabbit

Irishman

Little Women

A Hidden Life

Despite great reviews, it will be really difficult to see mainstream movies from first part of the year (TS4, EG,  Us)

And what about TLK? Early reactions are more than great

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stripe said:

Many movies with huge potential in the horizon, and Just Mercy also enters the fight for awards recognition

Ford v Ferrari

Harriet

Just Mercy

Once upon a time in Hollywood

Goldfinch

Beautiful day in the neighbourhood

Good Liar

Ad Astra

Queen and Slim

JoJo Rabbit

Irishman

Little Women

A Hidden Life

Despite great reviews, it will be really difficult to see mainstream movies from first part of the year (TS4, EG,  Us)

And what about TLK? Early reactions are more than great

Eh. The Lion King would set a precedent that Hollywood can get rewarded for making these remakes. But then again, a nomination for Little Women would do the same on a smaller scale.

But yeah. There's so many Oscar films with huge potential from the bigger studios that I'm worried about how the independent films are going to be able to factor into the race, if they'll be able to factor in at all. Maybe The Lighthouse gets nominations as an undeniable masterpiece. Maybe Antonio Banderas gets that acting nomination for Pain & Glory, or maybe Alfre Woodard gets her first nomination in three decades for Clemency. But all these studio films are certainly proving to be a challenge. And that makes this year exciting!

On 5/27/2019 at 9:18 PM, Slambros said:

Despite being a commercial success, EG is still seen by large voters, as a a unimportant , socially irrelevant, fanboys bait movie  

• Like 1