The Panda

Best Picture Predictions - 2019

21 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

TIFF announced the first batch of movies that will be showing at the festival. In terms of notable releases:

-A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

-Bad Education

-Ford v Ferrari

-Harriet

-Honey Boy

-Jojo Rabbit

-Joker

-Judy

-Knives Out

-Motherless Brooklyn

-Pain and Glory

-Parasite

-The Goldfinch

-The Laundromat

-The Lighthouse

-The Report

-Uncut Gems

Only real notable omissions (at least for the moment, they could still be added) off the top of my head are Ad Astra, Little Women, The Irishman, Queen & Slim, and Lucy in the Sky

Noah Baumbach's Marriage Story with Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson and Destin Daniel Cretton's Just Mercy with Michael B. Jordan, Brie Larson, and Jamie Foxx are also part of the festival and are likely aiming for year-end awards recognition.

• Like 1

Venice Film Festival players include:

About Endlessness

AD Astra

Ema

Joker

The King

The Laundromat

Marriage Story

An Officer and a Spy

The Truth

Waiting for the Barbarians

Films that are still unaccounted for include:

All Rise

The Good Liar

The Irishman

Midway

The Last Full Measure

Little Women

Lucy in the Sky

Queen & Slim

Waves

My first predictions, based on the festival lineups, where confidence is clear, and some early buzz. Going with three already seen movies because caution is the name of the game.

Just Mercy (winner)

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

The Farewell

The Report

Ford v Ferrari 

Marriage Story

The Laundromat

The Two Popes

Little Women (no festival date yet but apparently this is good)

Still very unsure about all of this, though I'm fairly confident based on existing reviews and early word that Just Mercy, Hollywood, and Ford v Ferrari are primed for runs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

My first predictions, based on the festival lineups, where confidence is clear, and some early buzz. Going with three already seen movies because caution is the name of the game.

Just Mercy (winner)

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

The Farewell

The Report

Ford v Ferrari 

Marriage Story

The Laundromat

The Two Popes

Little Women (no festival date yet but apparently this is good)

Still very unsure about all of this, though I'm fairly confident based on existing reviews and early word that Just Mercy, Hollywood, and Ford v Ferrari are primed for runs.

Replace one of those movies with A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (probably either Little Women or one of the Netflix movies), and I'd agree 100%.

I'm very very confident in Neighborhood winning the TIFF People's Choice Award.

i'm not confident in three sony movies in my top ten. little women is actually the one i'm most confident in. i'm sure greta has the good. if Hollywood comes with mixed word of mouth and disappointing box office i'm ready to drop it quick tbh.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood might get in on a narrative of being really sweet and kind in a hateful time we are living in, but the trailer wasn't for me. Maybe I'm letting that cloud my judgement. Looks like Saving Mr. Banks to me.

The one thing that Neighborhood will likely have going for it, though things could change if it sucks, is that it will likely be a huge box office hit. Anecdotal, but I've been seeing a lot of people in my social circles going nuts over the trailer, and it was trending online the whole day. Especially if TIFF word comes out that it's a huge crowdpleaser a la Blind Side/Green Book, I can see it doing something crazy and do like $175M or whatever, which can go a long way for nominations, since The Academy will definitely want at least a couple of...popular movies.

I also feel like if Little Women skips the fests (which isn't confirmed, but I wouldn't be surprised), it kind of has that uphill battle of not being able to build word with voters. Especially since Hollywood and Neighborhood won't have that problem. Of course then again, American Hustle did perfectly fine without a festival premiere. idk idk

Edited by CoolEric258

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

The one thing that Neighborhood will likely have going for it, though things could change if it sucks, is that it will likely be a huge box office hit. Anecdotal, but I've been seeing a lot of people in my social circles going nuts over the trailer, and it was trending online the whole day. Especially if TIFF word comes out that it's a huge crowdpleaser a la Blind Side/Green Book, I can see it doing something crazy and do like $175M or whatever, which can go a long way for nominations, since The Academy will definitely want at least a couple of...popular movies.

I also feel like if Little Women skips the fests (which isn't confirmed, but I wouldn't be surprised), it kind of has that uphill battle of not being able to build word with voters. Especially since Hollywood and Neighborhood won't have that problem. Of course then again, American Hustle did perfectly fine without a festival premiere. idk idk

I'd be surprised if Little Women went to any of the festivals honestly. It's a big starry Christmas Day release with plenty of awareness already, there isn't much in the way of buzz that needs to be built.

there's always a december release or two that gets nominated without any festival play. vice last year, phantom thread and the post the year before. it works if you've got a name director who doesn't need to build up buzz and after lady bird i think greta counts as that she's in the club.

• Like 1

Oh yea despite my awards skepticism for it (outside Hanks) Beautiful Day is going to be a massive hit, saw a ton of people share the trailer and the reaction to it in a packed theater tonight was huge. 150m domestic possible. That could be a saving grace when it comes to awards.

Also Hollywood is fucking unreal. Probably the most I've enjoyed a movie in two years. Call me #casual but I hope it fucking sweeps up.

• Like 2

Just went to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

It's a great film. There's nothing else like it. Now, that's what I say as a cinephile, but I'm not sure what general audiences will say. Of course, my crowd loved it.

One thing the film has in its favor is the Globes. If Sony wants to be in all the places they can be at the Globes, then there's no reason why they shouldn't put this film in the Comedy section. Guaranteed nominations. Meanwhile, they have two other films that can be campaigned in the drama category. And that'll make sure the film stays in the conscience of some pivotal voters.

If the voters think of Best Picture as in Best Picture, then Tarantino's in luck, 'cuz this film's a picture.

Edited by SLAM!

I think the fact WB is premiering Just Mercy as early as TIFF suggests they are confident in it as an awards player. 

ABDITN I think Sony will make a play but there is a chance that much like Sully, Tom Hanks last big biopic that it will be a crowd pleaser more than an award player. 

• Like 1

Decided to post this in the Best Picture thread because such an event would drastically affect how the upcoming season plays out:

I'm beginning to doubt that The Irishman even releases this year. One would have to imagine that the Netflix release would allow the post-production workers to take their time making the best product they can, even if they have to miss the season entirely. And this is certainly not the only film that Netflix has to campaign for: they also have Marriage StoryThe Laundromat, and The Two Popes, as well as The King, which has thrown its plausibility into question by being shown Out of Competition at TIFF.

Just last year, the only two Netflix feature films receiving nominations were Roma and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. The pro is that a lot of people didn't think Buster Scruggs would get any nods at all. But the con is that Netflix had other films such as Private Life that could have been able to sneak into the race just as easily. So while it remains to be seen how many nominations five Netflix films can collectively receive in the same year, I'm sure that campaigning for that amount of films would certainly require manpower. 2016 was a great year for film, so the competition was there, but Paramount had four great Oscar films: ArrivalFencesFlorence Foster Jenkins, and Silence. And it's entirely plausible that Paramount's juggling of four different film campaigns at least contributed a little bit to a lot of hardcore snubs like Amy Adams for Arrival, Hugh Grant for Florence Foster Jenkins, and pretty much everything other than Cinematography for Silence.

So I honestly think that it would benefit Netflix and their myriad of other film campaigns if they were to hold off on rushing out the release of The Irishman this year. Missing Venice and TIFF is pretty alarming, and its last chances to make a festival splash are Telluride and New York. I'm just not sure if they're going to go for it. I really do think this film needs some sort of festival run and it seems to me like they're missing their boat, whether on purpose or not.

On 7/26/2019 at 11:12 AM, CoolioD1 said:

Ad Astra

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

The Farewell

FordFerrari 

Jojo Rabbit

Little Women 

Marriage Story 

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood 

Parasite 

something like that is my early top 10. 

Parasite getting in would be pretty dope.

A worthy competitor for our Ad Astra.

• Like 3

I'm not convinced either Irishman or 1917 is coming out this year, Irishman for obvious reasons and 1917 because shit started shooting in April/May. Parasite is a good look too and I can even see Clemency sneaking in if alot of fall films disappoint - I think the odds of things already seen getting in are higher than people think. 

• Like 1