cookie

CAYOM Y5 - Discussion Thread

Speaking of...

One thing I'm a bit worried about with TSW2 (so far) is the pacing. The first half is pretty slow all things considered and spends most of its time with character introductions/development and world building, and then the second half is one long parade of big reveals and wild action set pieces. 

To call it the Spark 3/Odyssey 3 of Year 5 I think is going to be apt. Hopefully it'll work.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cookie said:

Speaking of...

One thing I'm a bit worried about with TSW2 (so far) is the pacing. The first half is pretty slow all things considered and spends most of its time with character introductions/development and world building, and then the second half is one long parade of big reveals and wild action set pieces. 

To call it the Spark 3/Odyssey 3 of Year 5 I think is going to be apt. Hopefully it'll work.

As long as the writing flow works there's nothing wrong with a film that takes its time setting things up.

Of course I'm the guy who made a Pillars 1 that is very much pure setup in the first half, and Pillars 2 may end up the same. :ph34r:

Spark 3's pacing issue was that it escalated from investigate some oddities to END OF THE WORLD NOW ABANDON ALL HOPE in a flash. I don't think you're gonna go that far with Scavvies 2. 

• Like 1

Hey I am having a wee bit of a villain problem for Static Shock, I love the idea but I feel it’s a bit similar to some other villain and he last thing I want is a Venchellgerton.

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

As long as the writing flow works there's nothing wrong with a film that takes its time setting things up.

Of course I'm the guy who made a Pillars 1 that is very much pure setup in the first half, and Pillars 2 may end up the same. :ph34r:

Spark 3's pacing issue was that it escalated from investigate some oddities to END OF THE WORLD NOW ABANDON ALL HOPE in a flash. I don't think you're gonna go that far with Scavvies 2. 

Also thanks to me not having the time to sufficiently map out a more cohesive way to build to the climax. :hahaha:

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Hey I am having a wee bit of a villain problem for Static Shock, I love the idea but I feel it’s a bit similar to some other villain and he last thing I want is a Venchellgerton.

Shoot me a PM.

6 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Spoiler

It does escalate quite rapidly towards the third act but there should be sufficient buildup to it.

38 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I have a similar problem with One Punch Man but at this point, I really don't wanna bother fixing it.

Some good news, some bad news and some better news.

Good news first: TSW2 is still coming along and should be completed at the latest tomorrow. It's more trying than I expected, but I like what I have. Just gonna work a bit more on the pacing and the second act. I hope people really enjoy the final product.

So the bad news, then:

Voltron.

6Rh57gnh.jpg

TSW2 has been trying for me enough and since Voltron's still a far pace from complete, I would absolutely hate having to turn something I've been working on for so long into a rush job at the last minute, and so I have to move it out of Y5, especially since I have Scrooge 0.5 left as well. If I try to pull all my strength to finishing both in the short time span I have left it could sink both films, so I'd rather not attempt it. It's such a shame too since I really wanted it out this year, but what can you do?

I'm not giving up on the series, but I will be working on it in the off-season and get back to you guys when I'm satisfied with it. It's very important to me that I get it right rather than get it done.

The better news:

I'll be finishing Scrooge 0.5 as soon as TSW2 is posted in full, with the expected posting date being the Monday before the deadline. What I've posted so far is 40% of the movie and I have done a lot since then, plus for the remainder of the movie I have the source material I can go back and borrow from so it shouldn't be too difficult to get it done.

I will move it to Voltron's June date just so everyone's aware and retain its IMAX. I thought of going down one week to Father's Day to make sure I have enough distance from Bounty Hamsters, but then I would lose IMAX to One Punch Man that much faster. Hope that's okay with everyone.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

Some good news, some bad news and some better news.

Good news first: TSW2 is still coming along and should be completed at the latest tomorrow. It's more trying than I expected, but I like what I have. Just gonna work a bit more on the pacing and the second act. I hope people really enjoy the final product.

So the bad news, then:

Voltron.

6Rh57gnh.jpg

TSW2 has been trying for me enough and since Voltron's still a far pace from complete, I would absolutely hate having to turn something I've been working on for so long into a rush job at the last minute, and so I have to move it out of Y5, especially since I have Scrooge 0.5 as well, and if I try to pull all my strength to finishing such a stressing project as Voltron in the short time span I have left it could sink both movies, so I'd rather not attempt it. It's such a shame too since I really wanted it out this year, but what can you do?

I'm not giving up on the series, but I will be working on it in the off-season and get back to you guys when I'm satisfied with it. It's very important to me that I get it right rather than get it done.

The better news:

I'll be finishing Scrooge 0.5 as soon as TSW2 is posted in full, with the expected posting date being the Monday before the deadline. What I've posted so far is 40% of the movie and I have done a lot since then, plus for the remainder of the movie I have the source material I can go back and borrow from so it shouldn't be too difficult to get it done.

I will move it to Voltron's June date just so everyone's aware and retain its IMAX. I thought of going down one week to Father's Day to make sure I have enough distance from Bounty Hamsters, but then I would lose IMAX to One Punch Man that much faster. Hope that's okay with everyone.

Sorry to hear about Voltron but again always glad to preread if needed.

As for the move, I feel Father’s Day may work out better as due to competition as Splatoon opens Memorial Day weekend and although 2LBH has made its lions share already.

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Sorry to hear about Voltron but again always glad to preread if needed.

As for the move, I feel Father’s Day may work out better as due to competition as Splatoon opens Memorial Day weekend and although 2LBH has made its lions share already.

You and Pasta are getting that pre-read, especially since I'll have to give up your TSW2 privileges.

I did say I considered Father's day but that puts its IMAX privileges in the way of OPM, so that may end up being a problem. October would be wide open now for Splatoon though if you'd want to move it.

1 minute ago, cookie said:

You and Pasta are getting that pre-read, especially since I'll have to give up your TSW2 privileges.

I did say I considered Father's day but that puts its IMAX privileges in the way of OPM, so that may end up being a problem. October would be wide open now for Splatoon though if you'd want to move it.

That’s what I’ll probably do as I really like that late September spot for my family films but I need to check with @Reddroast first as t is a coproduction but if I do need something to put on Memorial Day, actually I do have an idea for a major schedule swap in February but I need IMAX for it to work.

6 hours ago, Rorschach said:

One Punch Man is done.

The good news: the film isn't longer than Odyssey 3, which I was praying for.

tenor.gif?itemid=9214456

The bad news: it's still 22,240 words long

tenor.gif?itemid=8880636

Please tell me it’s at least dialogue heavy, right?!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1