cookie

CAYOM Y5 - Discussion Thread

I can't speak about the quality of Voltron or TSW2 because we simply don't know yet how those films will turn out. But, in my mind, I see Voltron decreasing a bit from its predecessor but probably not as much as @Xillix is predicting. I think this will happen, regardless of quality, simply because Reunion won't have the cushiony run that Rise of Lotor did back in the holiday/winter season of Y2/Y3 where competition was super low and January was a wasteland. Reunion has other films that'll be affecting its legs after about 2 or 3 weeks into its domestic run. I think a total just a bit above $500 million seems like a fair and reasonable amount. 

TSW2, I'll admit, will be a bit trickier to figure out. The first film was a critical hit, received 18 Oscar nominations for the Y3 Oscars, and won 6 awards at the ceremony. Aside from Odyssey 2, it was probably the second best well received blockbuster of Y3. Likewise, it'll have a lot of good will left over from that film going into the sequel, and if the trailer that was previewed at the Oscars is any indication of the quality of the final product, I think @cookie will have another critical darling on his hands. I'm not saying this'll be any indication of how the film is going to perform at the box office. I will say, Odyssey 3 performing the way it did has me confident in saying that Eternal Storm will increase from its predecessor at the box office. How substantial of an increase will it be? I don't know yet. I know the opening for the film won't be too out of this world given the competition it has during the holiday season but I think its critical reception/word of mouth from audiences will for sure have an significant impact on its legs going forward from its initial debut.

Like I said before, I'm going to be as fair as possible when doing the actuals for Y5. I will be keeping close tabs on the critical consensus and predictions threads. 

• Like 2

I did not make the decision to go R-rated lightly. Had Odyssey 3 not done as well as it did (thanks @Spagspiria) there would be no R-rating. But I was always aiming for it, and I think the rating allows it to stand out in an increasingly saturated genre, which can be very beneficial.

That said, and I probably should make this clear sooner rather than later, the final product is gonna be a bit less sensationalist with its rating than the marketing - at least pre-Oscar trailer - implies, and it mainly comes down to story reasons.

Spoiler

That orgy scene? Not in the movie. Couldn't make it fit and tbh it was something I planted originally as an immediate eye-catcher and proof that I wasn't screwing around when I said I was going R with the series.

But I think the R-rating does allow me to go deeper with some themes than I probably would've if it was PG-13, and that's what genuinely excites me about the project (for example: I've written an entire three-page essay on how two of the main cast embody one of the film's central themes. I'm not gonna say what the theme is since it's a huge spoiler, but if anyone really wants to know, I can PM which characters are involved). In general I'm being far more conscious about the themes and macro-details surrounding my projects this year than I've been previously and that's why I've been working very hard on V3, TSW2 and in particular SkyRiders (that movie is PG-13 for a reason. I don't see one avenue that could make it PG without neutering the whole thing), and that's why they've taken so long to make. Again, I'd be giving away huge spoilers for all three (and @Spagspiria and @YourMother the Edgelord doesn't know what I'm talking about since the version they have of V3 is outdated), so I'm sad to say you're just going to take my word for it, but I genuinely hope people come out surprised (in a good way) and I'll be happy to explain if anyone has any questions once everyone has read them.

None of the above paragraph has anything to do with box office but I wanted to say it anyway.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, cookie said:

I've written an entire three-page essay on how two of the main cast embody one of the film's central themes.

On the one hand I think it's really neat that you're so invested in this.

On the other hand this makes me worry more again that reading the finished project will feel like a chore if you're not really careful. The first movie was already straddling that line for me.

Edited by Xillix

So I've begun to write the summary for Sabrina. I'm about 10% done at this time. I think if there's a comparison I'd make with a real movie, I'd compare it to something like Spotlight or a David Fincher film like Zodiac. At least, that's the way I see it turning out. The source material is excellent and adapting it is like reading through it for a second time, which I really appreciate. So depending on how things shake out, and depending on the way I'm able to adapt it, I could easily see Sabrina becoming my main Oscar focus, as it'll be much more expansive (and much longer in length) than Yin. A lot can happen between now and then but I'll remain optimistic. I'm very excited to share this story with everyone.

Edited by Slambros

3 hours ago, Xillix said:

On the one hand I think it's really neat that you're so invested in this.

On the other hand this makes me worry more again that reading the finished project will feel like a chore if you're not really careful. The first movie was already straddling that line for me.

I am developing a few tactics to make it as smooth of a read as possible. Formatting tends to go long ways I’ve found.

Plus it’s going to be shorter than part one in word count unless I really screw up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

No orgy :(

I should probably explain this.

(mild spoilers with some context below)

Spoiler

The first two acts are building up to this event called a "light festival" (name not final) which is meant as a celebration of human/scavenger co-existence and the idea was that scene would occur somewhere in the middle.

Then the predicaments leading up to that festival changed mid-writing and now it makes absolutely no sense for any of the characters to engage in sexy times at that point in the story (the initial draft involved a lot of alcohol)

And even when it was there it didn't really add to anything and was pretty gratuitous so the story just kinda stopped at that point. I thought of maybe turning it into a dream sequence that would represent some kind of fear Tamara has but I couldn't make it work there either.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, cookie said:

I should probably explain this.

(mild spoilers with some context below)

Hide contents

The first two acts are building up to this event called a "light festival" (name not final) which is meant as a celebration of human/scavenger co-existence and the idea was that scene would occur somewhere in the middle.

Then the predicaments leading up to that festival changed mid-writing and now it makes absolutely no sense for any of the characters to engage in sexy times at that point in the story (the initial draft involved a lot of alcohol)

And even when it was there it didn't really add to anything and was pretty gratuitous so the story just kinda stopped at that point. I thought of maybe turning it into a dream sequence that would represent some kind of fear Tamara has but I couldn't make it work there either.

Spoiler

Not the first time a Matt and Ross Duffer original sci-fi in CAYOM had a sequel two years later with a festival of life across different alien species as a centerpiece for the climax...

• Astonished 1

28 minutes ago, Spagspiria said:
  Hide contents

Not the first time a Matt and Ross Duffer original sci-fi in CAYOM had a sequel two years later with a festival of life across different alien species as a centerpiece for the climax...

Spoiler

I may have phrased that incorrectly. It's not the climax (which I deliberately hid from the trailer btw), it's more a little bit after the halfway point where (larger spoiler below)

Spoiler

everything goes down the toilet for the good guys.

Edited by cookie

Hey, I think I want to Banana Fish part one of a three part series. I'd call it Banana Fish: Act I. I got an idea for how I could adapt the story, but it'd cut out a lot of the actors from the cast, as I'd save their characters for the next film. I think it'd be fun to make one entry in that franchise each game year until the story is complete. Should I go for it?

I think I'm going to do that Ripper spin-off set in WW2 this year anyway (need something I can do quick before I finish the larger ones) but I'm going to divorce it from the brand for two reasons:

a) So I can cast Tom Hardy in the lead role again

b) So I can campaign for an Original Screenplay nomination 

• Like 2