sfran43

Wednesday numbers: Aquaman $7.38M | MPR $4.41M | Spider-Verse $3.41M | Bumblebee $3.07M

22 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

OHMYGOSH amazing numbers for the queen of the world. This is equivalent of Aquaman grossing 1B domestically. Second Act is definitely the movie everyone else had to beat over the holidays. Too bad no one was able to do it. Definitely a run for the ages. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Alli said:

Maybe Bumblebee was released too soon after the last Bay trainwreck

It was released in a much too crowded environment. 

Alita moved and it seems clearly now so to that BB should've, or another. Case could be made for MPR.

Fact is Aquaman steam rolled both and while many felt good about the films chances the steam rolling wasn't something I saw folks predicting. I saw predictions of how many can co-exist and clearly the answer was not 3-4 big draw franchise type films. 

Just now, Captain Craig said:

It was released in a much too crowded environment. 

Alita moved and it seems clearly now so to that BB should've, or another. Case could be made for MPR.

Fact is Aquaman steam rolled both and while many felt good about the films chances the steam rolling wasn't something I saw folks predicting. I saw predictions of how many can co-exist and clearly the answer was not 3-4 big draw franchise type films. 

I think there was definitely potential for 3-4 big draw franchise type films. Problem was, there was only one and half such movie there. 

Bumblebee is a spin-off/prequel form a dying franchise. I think even in an empty market it would not have made much more. And holiday legs compensated for perhaps an emptier slot at another time of year. Spiderverse, as fantastic as it is, just never clicked in marketing with a wide audience. It seemed like a weird style, extraneous movie. And it's not like AQM is siphoning off audiences from Poppins. If any two movies can co-exist, it's these two. And they are - it's just that the demand for Poppins wasn't as big as some were expecting.

Yes, hindsight, sure, but it definitely feels like more a case of most of the movies in the market just didn't interest audiences. It's not like AQM is doing TFA numbers and sucking the oxygen out of the market, thus leaving no room for Spidey, Bumblebee and Poppins.

30 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

So, putting a Transformers movie in the traditional time frame they normally open (late June-early July) is bullying because Wonder Woman opens three weeks prior? Or putting Bumblebee near Aquaman in hopes of better legs as it’s the holidays where multiple films tend to coexist?

Wonder Woman releases date was pushed up to that “3 weeks prior” after  Transformers was put against it.

as for bumblebee it opened in half of it overseas market the weekend of the 26 I don’t see they couldn’t place it there. Both placements were arrogant and they payed the priced Wonder Woman manhandled the hell of TF5 but Aquaman straight up murdered Bumblebee.

Just now, Manny G said:

Wonder Woman releases date was pushed up to that “3 weeks prior” after  Transformers was put against it.

as for bumblebee it opened in half of it overseas market the weekend of the 26 I don’t see they couldn’t place it there. Both placements were arrogant and they payed the priced Wonder Woman manhandled the hell of TF5 but Aquaman straight up murdered Bumblebee.

:apocalypse: womanhandled*

• Haha 2

Sony's ESCAPE ROOM lets loose in 2,719 theaters this weekend--$15M, over or under? Last year, ER director Adam Robitel helmed INSIDIOUS: THE LAST KEY, which opened with a surprisingly robust $29M. Horror has its hooks deep in the first weekend of the year--could this overperform?

Slow burn style. With $70M in the bank domestically, Clint Eastwood's THE MULE expands into 400+ more theaters (3,212 total) in its 4th weekend.

Annapurna's DESTROYER is on the warpath less traveled...as it expands into just 3 more theaters this weekend, 6 total.

already posted, but to have it in 1 list

Barry Jenkins' IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK expands into 335 theaters this weekend.

Theoretically there was room for all Christmas "blockbusters" to co-exist given how much TLJ+Jumanji made last year. Maybe families just weren't that interested in a Transformers soft reboot just one year after TLK, or in the British nanny.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Theoretically there was room for all Christmas "blockbusters" to co-exist given how much TLJ+Jumanji made last year. Maybe families just weren't that interested in a Transformers soft reboot just one year after TLK, or in the British nanny.

When TFA came out, we had two weeks in a row where the domestic grosses hit 500M+

The room is there. The people are there. But it always comes down to demand. If the films are not appealing enough, it doesnt matter when they come out, they will always be underperforming.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Manny G said:

Yeah that happens for release dates in film, they change due to competition. It happens to and is used by every studio. Some films on both side coexist, some don’t, some it’s one or the other. Also Paramount even with Transformers, considering the state it’s in is in no position to so call “bully”.

While Wonder Woman did hurt The Last Knight, The Last Knight suffered because that arguably of the reception of Age of Extinction (one can argue TF2 and TF3 in there too) not to mention it sucked and the reception of the past film when bad always hurts the next one especially if it’s an unwanted sequel. 

Bumblebee was a spin-off and never was aiming for the numbers of the franchise even The Last Knight, the trailers even showed it was smaller in scale and was made to correct course. With an $100M budget (I may be wrong but that’s what I remembered last time), $300M-$350M WW is good, especially when they need it to restore the franchise goodwill. Paramount was hoping for good WOM and probably $100M domestic, it would’ve done worse anywhere on the calendar but Christmas which again is when films of the same demographics coexist. If Paramount was confident in Bumblebee would survive, as that it the only reason they would put it next to Poppins, Aquaman and Spider Verse which all take some of Bumblebee’s demographics especially a year and a half after The Last Knight.

it's rare to see audience reject a movie so absolutely as they did Mortal Engines. Bomb of the year although a quiet one since everyone predicted it to bomb (though not like this) and it never carried the prestige of bomb of the millennium, Solo. 

as someone who fell for MPR Gonna Win Holidays hype (partly in order not to jinx Aquaman), can someone explain to me why some people believed it would make upwards of 400M dom? I'm talking about genuine believers, not anti-Aquaman crowd (who really wanted to see Aquaman thunder stolen). 

Edited by Valonqar

With the exception of the $135+ million budgeted blockbusters (Aquaman, Mary Poppins and Bumblebee), Second Act will finish its run outgrossing all of the other movies released around this Christmas (December 19 to 25):

- Welcome to Marwhen

- Vice

- Holmes and Watson

- On the Basis of Sex

- Destroyer

JLo single handedly taking down:

- Robert Zemeckis

- Steve Carell

- Nicole Kidman

- Felicity Jones

- Christian Bale

- Amy Adams

- Brad Pitt

- Will Ferrell

Unless some of these people spend some more millions buying Oscar nominations, they will get beaten by JLo.

And yet people try to bully her out of the business like they did with Paula Abdul in the late 80s when she was starting to dominate the music charts, telling her she wasn't talented enough to deserve success.

What is these people Oscars worth when they can't even get more butts in seats than JLo?

People on the internet waste so much time mocking artists for not winning awards of received critical praise, but none of that matters when audiences love them. Audiences love JLo and starpower still matters. Give this legend the $40 million you spent on bombs like Welcome to Marwhen or Holmes & Watson and she would have challenged Bumblebee and Mary Poppins.

• Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

it's rare to see audience reject a movie so absolutely as they did Mortal Engines. Bomb of the year although a quiet one since everyone predicted it to bomb (though not like this) and it never carried the prestige of bomb of the millennium, Solo. 

Although, I agree that Solo was even more of a failure relative to how big the franchise is, I think Mortal Engines lost more money than Solo.

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

With the exception of the $135+ million budgeted blockbusters (Aquaman, Mary Poppins and Bumblebee), Second Act will finish its run outgrossing all of the other movies released around this Christmas (December 19 to 25):

- Welcome to Marwhen

- Vice

- Holmes and Watson

- On the Basis of Sex

- Destroyer

JLo single handedly taking down:

- Robert Zemeckis

- Steve Carell

- Nicole Kidman

- Felicity Jones

- Christian Bale

- Amy Adams

- Brad Pitt

- Will Ferrell

What is these people Oscars worth when they can't even get more butts in seats than JLo?

Hehehe  i have to agree with this. Of course JLo is no oscar actress, but i'm tired of the same people nominated for oscars for movies nobody sees. Where is Toni Colette nomination?