sfran43

Wednesday numbers: Aquaman $7.38M | MPR $4.41M | Spider-Verse $3.41M | Bumblebee $3.07M

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

With the exception of the $135+ million budgeted blockbusters (Aquaman, Mary Poppins and Bumblebee), Second Act will finish its run outgrossing all of the other movies released around this Christmas (December 19 to 25):

- Welcome to Marwhen

- Vice

- Holmes and Watson

- On the Basis of Sex

- Destroyer

JLo single handedly taking down:

- Robert Zemeckis

- Steve Carell

- Nicole Kidman

- Felicity Jones

- Christian Bale

- Amy Adams

- Brad Pitt

- Will Ferrell

Unless some of these people spend some more millions buying Oscar nominations, they will get beaten by JLo.

And yet people try to bully her out of the business like they did with Paula Abdul in the late 80s when she was starting to dominate the music charts, telling her she wasn't talented enough to deserve success.

What is these people Oscars worth when they can't even get more butts in seats than JLo?

People on the internet waste so much time mocking artists for not winning awards of received critical praise, but none of that matters when audiences love them. Audiences love JLo and starpower still matters. Give this legend the $40 million you spent on bombs like Welcome to Marwhen or Holmes & Watson and she would have challenged Bumblebee and Mary Poppins.

Yikes.

I do like Jennifer Lopez, but I feel that the only person who sabotaged her career was herself.

I don't blame her for wanting to strike while the iron was hot and getting all the endorsements and business ventures that were thrown at her when she was an A-lister, but sometimes I wish she had not started a music career. She became so enamored of being a star, that she forgot about acting.

I wish she had continued developing her movie stardom in a platform that made way for more movies like Out of Sight, My Family, and Selena, and fewer films like Monster-In -Law and Maid in Manhattan (although, again, one cant be blamed for going where the money is).

As it is, I wish her the best, and I truly would love if someone like Tarantino or Scorcese used her in a movie that totally makes us stand up and say, "WOW...I never imagined Jlo could do that!"

Maybe she will be cast in the In The Heights movie...

• Like 1

Uhhh  You can say Bumblebee wasn't "aiming" to do big numbers or Mary Poppins wasn't or whatever but Aquaman was?  Many people said on here that Aquaman doing in the range of $650M WW would be a win..  Many expected that to be the total.  

So why shift the narrative and pretend that Poppins and Bumblebee were these poor little indie flicks and the big bad WB was always going to reign supreme?  

Many on here said Poppins was going over $400M domestic.  

The only thing that can be said is that Aquaman ended up being a HUGE success and the others did okay but not nearly as much as expected. 

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

With the exception of the $135+ million budgeted blockbusters (Aquaman, Mary Poppins and Bumblebee), Second Act will finish its run outgrossing all of the other movies released around this Christmas (December 19 to 25):

- Welcome to Marwhen

- Vice

- Holmes and Watson

- On the Basis of Sex

- Destroyer

JLo single handedly taking down:

- Robert Zemeckis

- Steve Carell

- Nicole Kidman

- Felicity Jones

- Christian Bale

- Amy Adams

- Brad Pitt

- Will Ferrell

Unless some of these people spend some more millions buying Oscar nominations, they will get beaten by JLo.

And yet people try to bully her out of the business like they did with Paula Abdul in the late 80s when she was starting to dominate the music charts, telling her she wasn't talented enough to deserve success.

What is these people Oscars worth when they can't even get more butts in seats than JLo?

People on the internet waste so much time mocking artists for not winning awards of received critical praise, but none of that matters when audiences love them. Audiences love JLo and starpower still matters. Give this legend the $40 million you spent on bombs like Welcome to Marwhen or Holmes & Watson and she would have challenged Bumblebee and Mary Poppins.

To be fair, we don’t know where OTBOS or Vice will end up. Beating Marwen and Watson isn’t really a triumph either, but just rather that it made back its budget. 

Also, which movie was Brad Pitt in?

14 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Looks like AQM will pave the way for more comic book movies being released around December / Christmas time. What other comic book movies can you all see being released around that time?

I could see the sequel coming in about 2021 since we don't know when the next Star Wars film is releasing after Episode IX.  

17 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Uhhh  You can say Bumblebee wasn't "aiming" to do big numbers or Mary Poppins wasn't or whatever but Aquaman was?  Many people said on here that Aquaman doing in the range of $650M WW would be a win..  Many expected that to be the total.  

So why shift the narrative and pretend that Poppins and Bumblebee were these poor little indie flicks and the big bad WB was always going to reign supreme?  

Many on here said Poppins was going over $400M domestic.  

The only thing that can be said is that Aquaman ended up being a HUGE success and the others did okay but not nearly as much as expected. 

this. there are receipts with MPR Over 400M Club and predictions that MPR would dominate. Some even had BB or Spiderverse ahead of Aquaman. And it isn't just BOT. Media outlets were rushing to call MPR the winner of holidays...before the Black Wednesday when all went crashing down. There was so much overestimation for that movie it was insane. I still can't figure out why. 

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

this. there are receipts with MPR Over 400M Club and predictions that MPR would dominate. Some even had BB or Spiderverse ahead of Aquaman. And it isn't just BOT. Media outlets were rushing to call MPR the winner of holidays...before the Black Wednesday when all went crashing down. There was so much overestimation for that movie it was insane. I still can't figure out why. 

Because a lot of the people in the media covering this were not under the age of 35 and to them the idea of a Mary Poppins Returns sounded like something everyone would want and they felt that surely Disney would prevail.

... and then they didn't and it will be a marginal success at best when it's all done.

Edited by AdamKendall

6 hours ago, narniadis said:

Why hasnt the most current resident idiot been banned yet?? I mean he is totally off his rocker, rude to non DC fanboy posters and makes the thread unpleasant to read because everyone keeps responding to him... 

On topic: solid wednesday all around so far. 

@Christmas baumer had a friend tell me Marwen was the worst film they have ever seen and they are so easy to please...

Your friend was not wrong.  I think I'm pretty easy to please and I like Zemekis and Carrel and Mrs. Apatow....but this movie was just so wrong in every way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Christmas baumer said:

I saw welcome to Marwan today, well the first 40 minutes of it anyway. I've walked out of maybe five movies in my whole life. I have never walked out of one as quick as I walked out of this one. I don't know what anyone was thinking by green-lighting this. I don't know what the theme of it is I don't know what it's about I don't know why I'm supposed to care. This is not necessarily Robert zemeckis is fault. It's the bozos who decided that they should make this full movie in the first place. It was just a painful experience right from the first and opening shot.

I apologize for your unfortunate experience at Marwen.  They strive to be as welcoming as possible, and it sounds as if they failed to meet those expectations this time around.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

Because a lot of the people in the media covering this were not under the age of 35 and to them the idea of a Mary Poppins Returns sounded like something everyone would want and they felt that surely Disney would prevail.

... and then they didn't and it will be a marginal success at best when it's all done.

that's a really good point! 

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

> NO CHANGE

8 9 Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (2018) Universal 2,555

> DECLINING

11 11 Ralph Breaks the Internet Buena Vista 2,050 -293 -12.5%

Surprised Grinch is keeping all of its theaters despite suffering a huge post-Christmas decline. It's keeping more theaters than Ralph 2, which had a much higher PTA last weekend. 

Never mind. BOM messed up and updated the chart. 😅

> DECLINING

11 9 Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (2018) Universal 1,645 -910 -35.6% - - - - 9
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyK said:

I though ME was very good, bit dissapointing it bombed.:gold:

I actually somewhat enjoyed it. Undeveloped characters and terrible acting, with no charisma from the leads is what let it down - I think it’s an interesting concept and visually it was stimulating. I've siad this before - I would much rather have had the central plot revolve around the zombie robot thing hunting for what's-her-face, so that there'sa stronger emotional anchor to the movie. Use the traction cities as the setting for it, and let the typical YA revolt/war plot be in the background... 

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

it's rare to see audience reject a movie so absolutely as they did Mortal Engines. Bomb of the year although a quiet one since everyone predicted it to bomb (though not like this) and it never carried the prestige of bomb of the millennium, Solo. 

as someone who fell for MPR Gonna Win Holidays hype (partly in order not to jinx Aquaman), can someone explain to me why some people believed it would make upwards of 400M dom? I'm talking about genuine believers, not anti-Aquaman crowd (who really wanted to see Aquaman thunder stolen). 

I'll bite, and I speak as someone who has seen AQ three times and is thrilled at its b.o. performance. I thought the trailers for MPR were fantastic... nostalgic, yet somehow fresh and new. Emily Blunt. Freaking 95-year-old Dick Van Dyke. The hottest guy on Broadway in a generation, LMR. (Who, I assumed wrongly, was going to be doing all the music.) The awards chatter prior to the film's release. But mostly, as someone who saw Mary Poppins at age seven, when the whole world seems a riot of magic and wonder, I just naturally assumed that all my baby boomer cohorts would be chomping at the bit for this like no other movie in recent history. As far as I was concerned, $400m was a foregone conclusion. I'm still shocked at how wrong I was.

• Like 1