sfran43

HTTYD: The Hidden World OS

Interesting staggered release schedule. I didn't realize Australia was opening almost 2 months before the domestic release date. In fact, it seems the vast majority of markets open in January or early February. With a barren January, it should have opened this month domestically too.

Screen Daily: DreamWorks Animation release How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden Worldcrossed $40m after a $7.7m session in 18 territories. There were five debuts led by a superb $951,000 number one performance in Chile that brought in four times as much as the second film in the family animation series.

Brazil delivered the top holdover result on $2.1m for $7.4m after two weekends to rank number one, followed by Australia on $1m for $14.2m after four to rank third. Colombia has generated $2.2m after two, Netherlands $1.8m after two, and Central America $1.3m after two. The Hidden World opens in North America on February 22.

In Chile they are confusing the first with the second one. Still, it opened higher than the second in USD despite the ER being 30% worse, very good! 

• Thanks 1

that's a good opening for the UK. £5.2M opening.

httyd2 apparently opened to £7.8M but I cant remember if that had previews. certainly difficult to believe that the movie according to BOM only had 3x multi.

edit: apparently it was a Thursday release, so assuming there were no other previews thats £7.8M four day. That is a bit of a drop.

Edited by Avatree

Buzz seems pretty good in China with almost a month to go until release. The second film grossed $65 million in 2014, so there is quite a bit of room for growth after several years of market expansion. However, the release date is unfortunate- sandwiched between Alita and Captain Marvel (one week in either direction). 

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

that's a good opening for the UK. £5.2M opening.

httyd2 apparently opened to £7.8M but I cant remember if that had previews. certainly difficult to believe that the movie according to BOM only had 3x multi.

edit: apparently it was a Thursday release, so assuming there were no other previews thats £7.8M four day. That is a bit of a drop.

HTTYD2 had 2 weekends of previews. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, efialtes76 said:

HTTYD2 had 2 weekends of previews. 

thanks! I thought that number sounded far too front loaded. Tried finding box office report from then but failed.

In which case HTTYD3 like I said is a good opening.

2 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Buzz seems pretty good in China with almost a month to go until release. The second film grossed $65 million in 2014, so there is quite a bit of room for growth after several years of market expansion. However, the release date is unfortunate- sandwiched between Alita and Captain Marvel (one week in either direction). 

This market will determine if Dragon 3 can surpass Dragon 2's overseas numbers. I think it has potential for $100m total.