sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - AQM $31M | Escape Room $18.24M | MPR $15.86M | Bumblebee $13.20M | Spider-Verse $13.13M

From BOM:

Sony's horror/thriller Escape Room brought in an impressive $2.345 million from Thursday previews last night with showings beginning at 4PM in 2,386 locations. While the studio is still projecting a $10 million performance this weekend this more than doubles the $1 million in previews Slender Manbrought in from previews before a $11.37 million opening and almost five times the preview gross for The Forest, which delivered $515k from previews in January 2016 ahead of a $12.7 million debut. At this point we'd be surprised if Escape Room fell short of that gross by the end of the weekend.

• Like 2

The Predator had $2.5M for previews, while Insidious had $2M on the same weekend (that weekend had major snow storms though).

Considering these are established brands, this is mad impressive for Escape Room and ensures a 20M weekend. Then again, this is having previews at 4PM, so what I'm saying could be moot.

Edited by CoolEric258

11 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

The Predator had $2.5M for previews, while Insidious had $2M on the same weekend (that weekend had major snow storms though).

Considering these are established brands, this is mad impressive for Escape Room and ensures a 20M weekend. Then again, this is having previews at 4PM, so what I'm saying could be moot.

Well both the Predators and Insidious were in way more screens than 2.3K so I think  that makes up for the earlier previews time.

Runtimes w/out credits and attachments for next week:

A Dog's Way Home: 1:30. Attachments unknown (likely just Overcomer)

Replicas: 1:36. Attachments are 47 Meters Down 2 and Fighting with my Family

The Upside: 1:58. Attachments are The Best of Enemies and Uglydolls

• Like 1

Sony’s been having a nice comeback after a few dark years following the hack. Their 2019 slate also looks promising for the most part. Likely gonna have the best opening next weekend too with that movie where Bryce Dallas Howard plays a dog.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Sony’s been having a nice comeback after a few dark years following the hack. Their 2019 slate also looks promising for the most part. Likely gonna have the best opening next weekend too with that movie where Bryce Dallas Howard plays a dog.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

That’s a pretty great #. If we assume @WrathOfHan‘s numbers last night were indicative of how much the 4:00 shows affected overall numbers, approx 30 out of 150 of his theatre’s tickets were for the 4PM showing, or 1/5th. Factoring that out would leave us with 1.88M previews from “normal” preview times.

That’s almost on par with Insidious 4 last year, and given this isn’t a sequel, there’s definitely potential for a breakout. January horror though seems like a franchise in and of itself, so I’m still having a hard time confidently saying anything above 20 is certain, but 20 is looking pretty possible at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1