sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - AQM $31M | Escape Room $18.24M | MPR $15.86M | Bumblebee $13.20M | Spider-Verse $13.13M

Second Act has quietly grossed 32m and will end with more than 40m+, Jlo still has some gas in the tank. You wonder why she never took her movie career seriously. I guess being a 'brand' was more important but she's a better actress than singer.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/aquaman-escape-room-weekend-box-office-first-weekend-2019-1202529013/

Warner Bros.’ third weekend of Aquaman is the only title grossing north of $20M with a studio-reported $30.7M, -41% for a running total by EOD of $259.7M. Saturday was 40% up over Friday with $13M.  Rivals even think he’s headed to $31M+.

Columbia Picture’s Escape Room was a great surprise to many, pushing its way past Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns for 2nd place bragging rights of $17.6M this morning. At $6.5M, Saturday held in at -14% from Friday. Poppins this morning looks like she’s raking in an estimated third weekend of $16M (Disney will report soon) after a Saturday that was +30% over Friday with $6.7M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, grim22 said:

First Man ends it's run at 100.4M

7hh8gmofqn821.png

This will end up going into the "This was supposed to have Oscar buzz" column.

Even as someone who strives to watch as many "Oscar bait" movies as possible, and someone who doesn't mind a biopic once in a while...this looked extremely unappealing to me. I'm planning on watching it soon in any case, but... did I miss anything?

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

First Man ends it's run at 100.4M

7hh8gmofqn821.png

This will end up going into the "This was supposed to have Oscar buzz" column.

Maybe some people thought this was gonna repeat what Gravity & The Martian did before. A space-related movie that ends up a big hit.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Even as someone who strives to watch as many "Oscar bait" movies as possible, and someone who doesn't mind a biopic once in a while...this looked extremely unappealing to me. I'm planning on watching it soon in any case, but... did I miss anything?

Yes. You missed the best and most cinematic final act of a 2018 film.

12 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

https://deadline.com/2019/01/aquaman-escape-room-weekend-box-office-first-weekend-2019-1202529013/

Warner Bros.’ third weekend of Aquaman is the only title grossing north of $20M with a studio-reported $30.7M, -41% for a running total by EOD of $259.7M. Saturday was 40% up over Friday with $13M.  Rivals even think he’s headed to $31M+.

Columbia Picture’s Escape Room was a great surprise to many, pushing its way past Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns for 2nd place bragging rights of $17.6M this morning. At $6.5M, Saturday held in at -14% from Friday. Poppins this morning looks like she’s raking in an estimated third weekend of $16M (Disney will report soon) after a Saturday that was +30% over Friday with $6.7M.

The Friday and Saturday increases kind of confirm what the holiday pattern was bearing out. Aquaman played as a family movie while Poppins played to an older audience. That ended up making the difference in the box office race during the holidays.