sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - AQM $31M | Escape Room $18.24M | MPR $15.86M | Bumblebee $13.20M | Spider-Verse $13.13M

Paul Feig just like my tweet about not releasing “Last Christmas” in .... November. 

Hollywood need to stop releasing Christmas films in November. Look at Bad Moms christmas, they lost all their theatres by mid December and come christmas it was in 200 cinemas. 

Forget the thanksgiving bump, give the film the Christmas bump instead. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

Just now, Krissykins said:

Paul Feig just like my tweet about not releasing “Last Christmas” in .... November. 

Hollywood need to stop releasing Christmas films in November. Look at Bad Moms christmas, they lost all their theatres by mid December and come christmas it was in 200 cinemas. 

well J.LO movie surprisingly will pass 40M cause of christmas...lol

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Should do 10M over the weekdays and about 20M next weekend for 290M. 300M on MLK weekend Saturday 

most movies drop harder coming weekend, even in 2012. 45% drop for 17 or a little better, say 18 might be more realistic than 20 (-35%).

IMO best time to release a Christmas movie is the weekend before Thanksgiving. You get your solid OW, your 2nd weekend drop isn't bad because of the bump, and then your movie hasn't died out yet by the time it rides the Christmas wave through December. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, boyamama said:

this will pass 100M..another win for WarnerBros

2nd half of the year has been very strong for WB. FB2 dom was a misfire but it did well OS. Meg, CRA, ASIB, AQM, Mule all will reap rich rewards. Smallfoot did well too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

IMO best time to release a Christmas movie is the weekend before Thanksgiving. You get your solid OW, your 2nd weekend drop isn't bad because of the bump, and then your movie hasn't died out yet by the time it rides the Christmas wave through December. 

Yeah it doesn't seem clever to give a Xmas movie just a 2 week window to make money. If it's good it'll hang in there. If it's bad, it won't.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

You did see how badly The Grinch dropped just these past two weeks, right?

Christmas movies are DOA the second the holiday is over.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

So likely crossing $100m US domestic on Tuesday? 

I saw this Saturday in a 250 seater and there were probably 25 of us in there. Bummer cause having seen it the film is indeed a redeeming mark on the franchise. I'd rate it my second favorite film right behind the '07 original. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

If they release a Christmas movie in December then it'll gone by January anyway. I'd say mid November is probably better than early November although Grinch, Polar Express, Elf and A Christmas Carol didn't suffer from being released then. 

Looking at the weekend numbers, i think Spiderverse will end up outgrossing Mary Poppins at the end. Not by a lot but maybe 2-4M or so. It's 5M behind Poppins, has similar weekend number and is holding better on a day to day basis.

• Like 1

BB has a very good shot at beating TF5 dom and touching it's prod budget of 135.

Theatrical returns could be approx

130 Dom * 0.55 + 60 Ch + 190 OS-Ch * 0.40 = 207.5

That covers the prod budget and a big chunk of marketing and release costs with non-theatrical revenues to follow.

EDIT: @fmpro informed me that 60m minimum guarantee was paid upfront in China.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Looking at the weekend numbers, i think Spiderverse will end up outgrossing Mary Poppins at the end. Not by a lot but maybe 2-4M or so. It's 5M behind Poppins, has similar weekend number and is holding better on a day to day basis.

Which is fantastic.

• Like 1