sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - AQM $31M | Escape Room $18.24M | MPR $15.86M | Bumblebee $13.20M | Spider-Verse $13.13M

Just now, Valonqar said:

WW was fine but its third act (Ares reveal and the SFX mess of a battle) was horrid. Aquaman is much more consistent and have an actual great third act (which many more praised movies completely botch). 

I don't know, I thought its third act was good. It brought home the message about love destroying the evil in the heart of men. I had more of a problem with the exposition dump at the start of the movie. Aquaman had a pretty boring and generic first act (outside of the first few scenes with Temura Morrison's character and Atlanna).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

These are some disappointing ass holds for Aquaman, Poppins, and Bumblebee. Great for Spider-Verse, The Mule, Vice, and Second Act though

If the most recent set of numbers are correct, I don't think AQM's hold is disappointing - actually looks better than what you were saying in the Thu thread. :P 

Yeah, The Mule is getting to 100M with that hold, me thinks. Clint still got it.

But Aquaman is the standout, obviously. Great hold yet again, and why are people doubting it gets to 300M at this point?

Also, very strong opening for Escape Room, which proves that the previews were indeed inflated by the 4PM start, but the interest was always there to begin with and it would've broken out either way.

Spider-Verse continues to be Daddy Longlegs, and Bumblebee keeps pacing along too. Poppins not as great, but with no family competition until February, it has no reason to cry. Vice is looking good for a 45-50M result, which ain't too great on a 60M budget, but it should get enough awards consideration to make up for it. Otoh, Second Act is also looking good for a 50M total, but on a much smaller budget, so rejoice, members of the JLo hardcore fanboy club. Ralph has clearly rebounded once The Grinch disappeared post-Christmas, so I guess those who believe it would've done better in its original March release date do have a point.... Poppins on Thanksgiving and then Nutcracker on Christmas sounds like it would've been a better plan. Holmes & Watson is a disaster, but its total isn't as bad as it could've been anywhere else on the calendar.

1 hour ago, Christmas baumer said:

Well, deserves got nothing to do with it.  :)

You think it's that much better than WW?

Yeah, i know :lol: it has always something to do with how much the general audiences enjoy a movie.

I adore Aquaman. The most fun ive had with a Superhero movie probably since the first Avengers. I had some problems with Wonder Woman, so out of the DC movies since the Nolan trilogy, its far and away my favourite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

WW was fine but its third act (Ares reveal and the SFX mess of a battle) was horrid. Aquaman is much more consistent and have an actual great third act (which many more praised movies completely botch). 

Since this is the weekend board, I support you having that opinion:)...but you and I watched 2 separate movies for Aquaman and Wonder Woman (WW, even without a great 3rd act, still has the better 3rd act:)...

2 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Only someone as clueless as Megan Ellison would’ve green lighted that budget. 

It seems pretty sprawling in terms of "scale". It's pretty costing what it's supposed to cost even though that's not the sort of film you'd expect to cost 60 M. Just glad it exists. 

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Since this is the weekend board, I support you having that opinion:)...but you and I watched 2 separate movies for Aquaman and Wonder Woman (WW, even without a great 3rd act, still has the better 3rd act:)...

Saying "we've watched 2 separate films" is a problematic thing to say really. Plenty of folks think the same thing about the third act. I think the film is fine but the third act does imo take a dive, Ares looks like your generic CG villain, and there's some kind of disconnect happening for me during the fight, I don't know if it's because it feels too CGIey or something. It just felt disappointing and a bit sloppy.

Aquaman goes ALL OUT in the third act and the action is incredible and driven by character. Aside from MOS, I don't think there's another superhero film out there that's as spectacular, especially on the action side. 

Just now, TimmyRiggins said:

Saying "we've watched 2 separate films" is a problematic thing to say really. Plenty of folks think the same thing about the third act. I think the film is fine but the third act does imo take a dive, Ares looks like your generic CG villain, and there's some kind of disconnect happening for me during the fight, I don't know if it's because it feels too CGIey or something. It just felt disappointing and a bit sloppy.

Aquaman goes ALL OUT in the third act and the action is incredible and driven by character. Aside from MOS, I don't think there's another superhero film out there that's as spectacular, especially on the action side. 

Ummm, okay...if you'd like the blunter way, everything you say I disagree with...but we can disagree...I'm not male, nor very young...and Aquaman's 3rd act was made to appeal to a big battle WWE cage match type of audience - no real emotional heft, no real great "plot reason" for 1/2 of the fighting (or the quitting of the fighting), no good acting, etc...but it happened.  Lots of folks LOVE that kinda 3rd act - bring on the fights and the special effects, it's supers!  And some folks look for more:)...

My young males in my family felt like you do, so I know where the sentiment comes from...doesn't mean I have to agree with it...

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ummm, okay...if you'd like the blunter way, everything you say I disagree with...but we can disagree...I'm not male, nor very young...

My young males in my family felt like you do, so I know where the sentiment comes from...doesn't mean I have to agree with it...

Warners’ marketing plan worked: Aquaman grossed $105.7M over the five-day holiday (including previews), winning females over in a big way with F25+ giving the DC superhero pic its best gender score of 84% on ComScore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak plus its best definite recommend of any gender demo at 71%. Moms turned out in greater numbers than Dads, 56% to 44% and enjoyed Aquaman more, 91% to 85%. Women also graded Aquaman with an A- CinemaScore, a number that was equal to men.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquaman-jason-momoa-marketing-won-women-over-1202525963/

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Warners’ marketing plan worked: Aquaman grossed $105.7M over the five-day holiday (including previews), winning females over in a big way with F25+ giving the DC superhero pic its best gender score of 84% on ComScore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak plus its best definite recommend of any gender demo at 71%. Moms turned out in greater numbers than Dads, 56% to 44% and enjoyed Aquaman more, 91% to 85%. Women also graded Aquaman with an A- CinemaScore, a number that was equal to men.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquaman-jason-momoa-marketing-won-women-over-1202525963/

Posting a stat that says 29% of the gender still didn't definitely recommend means there's a big amount of that gender which does not...probably the part of the gender that has watched many movies and actually critiques them...and isn't there for their sons and grandsons:)...

And note, while I would not recommend the movie (but I also would not discourage the movie), neither did I not recognize what it is...you can read my C+ review in the previous daily/weekend threads...(where I also posted my older son's A+:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits