baumer

Baumer's 36 best films of 2018 (top 3 has been revealed)

The Mule

Box office:  75 million and counting

Clint Eastwood, Bradley Cooper, Laurence Fishburne, Dianne Wiest, Michael Pena, Andy Garcia

One of the things I enjoy working out is how the cast was assembled and why they were here.  I like that Cooper worked with Clint on American Sniper and Lawrence Fishburn was in Mystic River.  Michael Pena was in Million Dollar Baby.  I bet if I dug a little deeper some of the cast has been with Clint on some of his other films. That's not a reason to love the movie, but for me I find it's a good start.  The Mule, like Old Man and the Gun has a legendary actor on one last hurrah.  And like Redford, the film they chose to ride off into the sunset with is about an old man doing illegal things.  Redford was a bank robber, Clint is a mule for the drug cartel.  He is told to never look in the bag and just deliver the package, no questions asked.  He's an old man, financially destitute, has never gotten a speeding ticket and someone the law would never expect as a drug runner.  There's even a great scene between Cooper, as the FBI guy hunting down the mule, and Eastwood as the mule, as they sit in a diner discussing life.  It's a small scene yet it's incredibly powerful.  Two screen legends (yes Cooper is in that category or he will be after he wins something for ASIB) talking family, work and life in general.

The Mule is mostly about dialogue and relationships.  There's a few tense moments where the cartel like they are get violent and nasty but for the most part this is an excuse to see Clint ham it up in front of the camera one more time.

4D82966600000578-5872761-image-a-36_1529

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The MEG

Box office:  530 million WW

Jason Statham

There's not much to say about this film.  It's corny and hokey and entertaining as hell.  Yes, Jason Statham tries to kick the shark, under water.  I won't leave a long review as to why I liked it.  But I'll just leave you with this....Statham, a giant killer shark and some really good effects.  I'd like to see the rated R version of this or better yet, the Eli Roth version of it, but I don't think that is happening.

the-meg-4.jpg?w=1000

• Like 9

Creed II

Box office:  144 million and counting

Stars:  Michael B. Jordan, Sly, Dolph, Tessa Thompson and Florian Munteneau...cameos by Milo and Brigitte

I saw this move twice.  The first time I liked it but had problems with it.  I didn't like minor things like Rocky and Adonis living in average accommodations.  After Adonis became world champion, they would no longer be destitute or just getting by.  I also didn't like that after Adonis fought Drago the first time, Drago would now be the number one contender.  That match, like the match in Rocky IV between Creed and Drago, was an exhibition.  It wasn't nor would it be sanctioned by one of the boxing authorities.  These and a few other minor things bothered me.  But when I saw it a second time, I tried to ignore those inconsistencies.  And when you get past that what you are left with is a very powerful and emotional film about parenthood.  There's four separate stories here about parenting.  Adonis wants to make his mom proud and he wants to live up to his dad's name.  Rocky has lost touch with Rocky Jr and by the end of the film when he Milo Ventimiglia shows up, it left me with a lump in my throat.  Adonis and Bianca are also about to have their first child and the last father son story might be the best one of all and that is the one between the senior and junior Drago.  I was happy to see the film end the way it did, with the two of them bonding.  

Creed II isn't as good as the first but it's still a very good movie.

Dolph-Lundgren-and-Florian-Munteanu.jpg

• Like 9

The next five will feature:

Another Brian Mills film

A Christmas movie

One of the biggest disappointments of the year at the box office

The film where they should have hired N'Sync instead of this grammy winner

The next billion dollar movie

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

The next five will feature:

Another Brian Mills film

A Christmas movie

One of the biggest disappointments of the year at the box office

The film where they should have hired N'Sync instead of this grammy winner

The next billion dollar movie

I don't know what this film is, but is there ever a case where the above statement is true, except maybe at an N'Sync's member's birthday party?:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I don't know what this film is, but is there ever a case where the above statement is true, except maybe at an N'Sync's member's birthday party?:)

It's a very funny part to a video that was made for one of the songs.....it was done with "regret" because the singer was too good :)

I'll post the video with the review of the film.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

The case in question: Celine fucking slayed it!

Come on dude.....lol.....I'm trying to keep some of the suspense.  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

wow, a star is born is lower than i thought it'd be, but i understand the argument.

I'm not sure if you're being serious here LOL

• Knock It Off 1

The Commuter

Box office:  119.9 Mill WW

Stars:  Liam Neeson and the Conjuring couple

Former police detective and an insurance agent for the last 10-yrs Michael MacCauley (Liam Neeson) is fired. He takes the train home, as usual, and is confronted by Joanna (Vera Farmiga) who makes an unusual offer to Michael: he is to find someone on the train who doesn't belong and who has a bag with something inside that was stolen. All Michael has to do is to locate that person and put a tracking bug in the bag and he will collect $100 thousand dollars. Now you know there is much more to all this and this is very exciting and a heart stomping good story. 

Of course, Michael accepts the challenge and wants the $100K. We see some people die and via a telephone call with Joanna who blames Michael for the deaths and is told his family may die if he doesn't do the job he agreed to. Oh, oh! Many questions go through Michael's head and ours too. Who is that person, what is in the bag, what is this all about?

In time, we see Liam Neeson do what he does best.  By now Neeson could sleep walk through these roles and they'd still be entertaining.  Thankfully he looks like he is still interested and thus the film feels fresh.  This was very Hitchcockian in many ways.  You might figure out who the main bad guy is but that's only because you've seen dozens of these movies.  Besides, it's the execution of the film that makes this so good, not necessarily the twists. 

the-commuter-feature-1600x900-c-default.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I want Neeson to do a movie where he's a policeman/marshall on a car and he has to identify a terrorist/thief. Twist - it's a CLOWN car.

Then, a couple years later, do a Trains, Planes and Automobiles remake, which will be a crossover event of Non-Stop, The Commuter and Clown Car (title TBD), where Neeson reprises all three roles.

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1