Ezen Baklattan

2018/19 Golden Globes: Official Discussion Thread | Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book are Best Picture winners

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I didn’t anticipate that the only thing worse than Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book winning picture would be LMD’s takes on it.  My own fault for not prepping for this beforehand.

I just said that i could fully understand that the two films do not really do justice for the social causes they are about.

However they are fun and enjoyable films in the end.

Like i can see people on this forum watching a film..

"That film was fun but it had only 36 percent repsresenation by minorities so it failed for me."

Edited by Lordmandeep

Never seen Green Book, but i am ok with BR win......As long as BR didn't win oscar. 

I have no intention to entertain those pretentious social justice warrior who think that they have the high ground while in fact, they are just a group of freak and pathetic loser. 

I'm delighted Olivia Colman won. In the midst of the shallow and callous nonsense that awards tend to end up being about there always tends to be actually one or two flecks of deserving in there. I haven't seen Glenn Close's performance but I would suspect that she is another instance.

As others sort of seem to be indicating here, BR (and ASIB and GB) is a crowdpleasing bit of fluff. It's fine, good indeed, for what it is but what it is has pretty serious limits in terms of artistic merit. And best actor performers, I'm sorry, should have no business going to biopics where the performance is aiming for facsimile.

Hoping that The Favourite or Roma lock down the Oscars. They aren't necessarily the best movies of the year, but they are comfortably closer than most of the other realistic options. 

But, as always, that's just in an ideal world as opposed to the one we're in where these things are pretty much meaningless and arbitrary.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

wow, hope Bohemian Rhapsody also slays it at the Oscars after seeing all this salt

It won’t. People are just overreacting. If the last two years have taught us anything, becoming the frontrunner results in extreme backlash and ultimately losing at the Oscars (and one does not need a crystal ball to see one brewing for Bohemian Rhapsody). If anything, A Star is Born is gonna be seen as the underdog now. Malek is likely winning though.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

wow, hope Bohemian Rhapsody also slays it at the Oscars after seeing all this salt

Yes, I hope we elevate the status of more pedophiles, so great for society.  Show all of the white male children of the world that if they assault people, they can win awards and be on the Supreme Court too.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I haven't seen BR yet so I really can't speak to its quality.     I do know that Bryan Singer is a reprehensible human being.   However there are thousands in the cast and crew that don't deserve to be lumped in with him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Its just a simplistic feel good film.

Can't believe people use the word "sjw" unironically. If they wanted to make a simple feel-good film, they should have taken out the hokey politics.  Even the director said he wanted the movie to be political. It wasn't just meant to be a feel-good movie. They should have respected Shirley's family. But no, let us blame the SJW for everything.

I find it funny that a forum filled with a lot of white people are defending it.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, DAR said:

I haven't seen BR yet so I really can't speak to its quality.     I do know that Bryan Singer is a reprehensible human being.   However there are thousands in the cast and crew that don't deserve to be lumped in with him.

I’m fine with the Malek nomination, and even a win, doesn’t irk me even if I wouldn’t nominate him personally.  But the overall film tends to be viewed as a product of its director first and foremost.

So any overall win for the film will feel like an endorsement of Singer and send studios a message that it’s fine if a sexual assaulter is the credited director, your movie will still win awards and a BO smash anyways, so don’t even bother firing them

next time.

Maybe that’s not what happens, but my irritation against this is more the overall message HFPA is choosing to send (and I call bull that they had no idea about Singer, they chose to ignore it).  If they wanted to pick a star powered blockbuster concert film, A Star is Born was a much better one.  If they wanted a crowdpleaser, BO sensation Black Panther is a much better one.  If they wanted to endorse Queen, not awarding this movie isn’t a knock against them (especially since the movie represents Mercury questionably).

I just don’t really buy any excuses for awarding the movie with the big prize despite Singer.  It’d need to be Chinatown good for that to even maybe be excusable (even then, Polanski is disgusting and I feel questionable whenever I choose to watch one of his movies) and it’s most definitely not Chinatown.

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

How is it a whole load of hooey? These movies do a horrible job of doing what they are supposed to do (and were trying to do). 

I liked what Tele said in the telegram about Green Book.

The movie’s designed to make white people feel good about feeling like they’re not racist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1