Ezen Baklattan

2018/19 Golden Globes: Official Discussion Thread | Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book are Best Picture winners

Just now, The Panda said:

The movie’s designed to make white people feel good about feeling like they’re not racist.

Pretty much. That is why it is a "feel good" movie to many people. I'm not gonna lie, I actually enjoyed the film and found it funny at multiple times but it was definitely made for white people to give an excuse to be racist (that they aren't as bad they used to be). I also love how some scenes of blatant racism from Tony were played as jokes (teaching Don to eat KFC because black people love KFC. wtf was that?) and Don actually validates those acts.

I had so many other problems with the film but I don't remember 75% of the movie itself anymore lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It won’t. People are just overreacting. If the last two years have taught us anything, becoming the frontrunner results in extreme backlash and ultimately losing at the Oscars (and one does not need a crystal ball to see one brewing for Bohemian Rhapsody). If anything, A Star is Born is gonna be seen as the underdog now. Malek is likely winning though.

I am ok with BR win at Golden globe, but it does not necessarily help its Oscar buzz, anything could change between Jan7 to Jan14.

people, especially critics and media will actively criticize the film and use bryan singer role as leverage. I am not sure how much can BR can hold that backlash if they really go for full attack mode. 

It could end up like James franco, despite wining GG and nominated in SAG, lose out very last minute because media choose to re-visit his past potential mistake. 

10 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I kind of get the separating art for the artist case.  But at the same point, I can’t really wrap myself to ever do that.  Endorsing art by default endorses the artist, warts and all.  The art isn’t an entity on its own.

There are a few cases where I feel possible exceptions, Polanski and Chinatown being one.  But even then I have trouble wanting to watch that movie because I know it’s further cementing the legacy of a man who raped somebody, ran away from their trial and is now smugly cozied up in a foreign country free to walk about.

The crimes of the person are more important to me than whatever art they make.  Especially when the art isnt all that great in the first place like BR.

But by blaming a person, and completely disregard everything else about a great film, (not referring to BR here), isn't more hostile to those who put the effort and talent? 

A great film was never a solo-work, it is the combination of all the effort from all the talent.

I hope they can redesign some framework in the award to make sure, the wrong deed from a person will no longer affecting those who really contributed their head and heart.   

20 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I kind of get the separating art for the artist case.  But at the same point, I can’t really wrap myself to ever do that.  Endorsing art by default endorses the artist, warts and all.  The art isn’t an entity on its own.

There are a few cases where I feel possible exceptions, Polanski and Chinatown being one.  But even then I have trouble wanting to watch that movie because I know it’s further cementing the legacy of a man who raped somebody, ran away from their trial and is now smugly cozied up in a foreign country free to walk about.

The crimes of the person are more important to me than whatever art they make.  Especially when the art isnt all that great in the first place like BR.

See, that's where we disagree. I do think art is an entity on its own. I can appreciate art without ever knowing the artist or caring to find out about that person. And I can find the joy that the art brings me separate from the vitriol that I have towards the artist's personality.

For example, look at this painting:

1024px-Hitler_Haus_am_See.jpg

This is a painting by Rembrandt. Forget whatever you know about his style (if you do know anything about it) and just focus on judging this particular painting. How do you feel about it?

Now, I will reveal that in reality, no lie, it's actually made by Adolf Hitler. How do you feel about it now? Still the same, or did something dramatically change in your vision of it?

The painting is nothing special whatsoever, mind you, and I'm no professional painting art critic or even fan, but to me, it looks fine. Very bland, certainly, but perfectly ok. Better than what I could come up with, I imagine.

But look, as I said, I understand your feelings and I can't say your point of view holds no merit. As a matter of fact, I totally feel the same way about boosting the ego and legacy of sad, shameful, disgusting pieces of shit by telling them that the art they made wasn't bad. And yes, there is an obvious connection between art and artist from a personality perspective. But I find a certain purity in art that is impossible to find in a human being, as we humans are layered and complex by nature, while art, for the most part at least, is naked, pure, raw, and just what it is.

Maybe this is just my OCD feeding me opinions I wouldn't have in my right state of mind, though, I dunno :ph34r:

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved Bohemian Rhapsody. I don't care for Bryan Singer and I've read a lot more of what he has apparently done behind closed doors than many of you have. I think it's okay to like the film or even love the film and not be on board with Bryan Singer. Bohemian Rhapsody in my opinion is pretty close to one of the 10 best films of the year. That still doesn't mean that you have to be on board with who or what Bryan Singer stands for. You can like a film without liking the person who made it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

But by blaming a person, and completely disregard everything else about a great film, (not referring to BR here), isn't more hostile to those who put the effort and talent? 

A great film was never a solo-work, it is the combination of all the effort from all the talent.

I hope they can redesign some framework in the award to make sure, the wrong deed from a person will no longer affecting those who really contributed their head and heart.   

The people who contributed aren't getting recognition. The people who get the most out of a best picture win are the producers (who hired this Bryan fuckface in the first place) and the face of the movie: the director. Just because a VFX artist worked on a film that got best picture, doesn't mean he gets a bonus (and considering what happened to the VFX company that did the CGI for Life of Pi right after they won an Oscar for Best VFX, it doesn't even matter if they get an award for VFX). Just because an assistant editor worked on a best picture winning film doesn't make his resume look any better than saying he worked on a studio film (because he isn't getting any recognition from that win).

A film sure as hell isn't the work of one person (which is why I hate the term "auteur") but these awards are made to recognize the top people (producer, director, writer etc), not the thousands working under them.

• Like 4

Imagine rooting for an extremely mediocre biopic just to stick it to the libtards and the "elite" critics (who live in cramped studios and work for dying newspapers just because of their love of film - such bad, elite people!)

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 11

I also love that a group of people who routinely shit on menial workers and underappreciated staff suddenly become the ultimate champion of all the people who worked on BR. I'm not directly referencing anybody on this board, but seeing conservatives make that argument is funny to me.

• Like 7

Just now, DAR said:

Or you know people could have just been entertained by the movie without worrying whether or not they were "sticking it to the libs"

Sure, but read some of the posts in the topic and tell me that's really the motivation of guys like that JB right win whatever .

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

But I wouldn’t be surprised if Bohemian Rhapsody doesn’t get nominated at all for best picture at the Oscars. 

Yo, the last film that won best picture at Golden Globes and didn't get nominated for Best Picture was Spartacus in 1963. You are say won't be surprised if something that hasn't happened in 56 years will happen.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Can't believe people use the word "sjw" unironically. If they wanted to make a simple feel-good film, they should have taken out the hokey politics.  Even the director said he wanted the movie to be political. It wasn't just meant to be a feel-good movie. They should have respected Shirley's family. But no, let us blame the SJW for everything.

I find it funny that a forum filled with a lot of white people are defending it.

Hmmm  

Hmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Lol cmasterclay

Its not sticking it to liberals and progressive ideals in general.

Its sticking to people so wrapped about race and gender issues in such a nonsensical manner that they thinking its fine to call someone racist and stupid for simply enjoying a film.

• Thanks 4