Ezen Baklattan

2018/19 Golden Globes: Official Discussion Thread | Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book are Best Picture winners

Just now, Krissykins said:

Oh ah! I didn’t realise lol 

What was the last best picture nominee to have 62% on rotten tomatoes and a 49 on Metacritic 😳

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close was nominated just 7 years ago and that had a sub-50% RT score.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close was nominated just 7 years ago and that had a sub-50% RT score.

Yeah, I was going to note that one.

It's one of the best demonstrations of how ridiculous award season is.

It was seemingly nominated entirely to save some embarrassment for everyone involved.

*Mod Notice*

Hey guys and gals, can we dial back on the politics and such please. This is an awards thread in the film section and we really should only be talking about that. 

Can we get back to discussing the awards and the glory of Spiderverse winning best animated film of all time, and leave the controversial stuff to another thread in another place at another time before things get out of hand.

Thanks  

• Thanks 5

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

For real. I’m bowing out here. Although I will say imagine feeling as if your entire existence is being threatened by the mere existence of other groups of people different from yourself. What a rough way to go through life.

What an utterly ironic statement.

OK mods, I'm done. :)

Let me remind you that all the discussions we are having on this thread are happening BECAUSE of our beloved progressists, libtards whatever you wanna call them ( we call them "gauchistes" in France FYI)

Please NEVER EVER forget that.

It is THEIR doing and you all know it.

They are really doing God s work.

Let it continue until ...

A film is not made by one person.  One person is in charge of the film, at least on the set, but often there are 100's if not 1000's who make a film.  Each one of those people contribute in their own way to make the film the success it is.  I loved Carol Burnett's speech for this reason last night.  She said that there was a great synergy that developed between everyone who worked on her variety show over the 11 years.  She said "directors, stage hands, cue card people..." and so on.  She recognized everyone.  It's the same for Bohemian Rhapsody.  Bryan Singer did not make the film by himself.  There were hundreds of people who spent days, weeks and months of their lives making a damn fine movie.  To discredit their work because of Singer, is wrong.  If Bohemian wins best picture, then so be it.  I think there are better films this year, namely ASIB, but if the academy chooses to reward BR, then it will be giving the award Jim beach and Robert DeNiro and Arnon Milchan and Graham King, the producers of the film.  You know who didn't produce it?  Singer.  He was hired to direct.  So do you really think it's fair to discredit the whole film because Singer is an asshole?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

A film is not made by one person.  One person is in charge of the film, at least on the set, but often there are 100's if not 1000's who make a film.  Each one of those people contribute in their own way to make the film the success it is.  I loved Carol Burnett's speech for this reason last night.  She said that there was a great synergy that developed between everyone who worked on her variety show over the 11 years.  She said "directors, stage hands, cue card people..." and so on.  She recognized everyone.  It's the same for Bohemian Rhapsody.  Bryan Singer did not make the film by himself.  There were hundreds of people who spent days, weeks and months of their lives making a damn fine movie.  To discredit their work because of Singer, is wrong.  If Bohemian wins best picture, then so be it.  I think there are better films this year, namely ASIB, but if the academy chooses to reward BR, then it will be giving the award Jim beach and Robert DeNiro and Arnon Milchan and Graham King, the producers of the film.  You know who didn't produce it?  Singer.  He was hired to direct.  So do you really think it's fair to discredit the whole film because Singer is an asshole?

To be fair, Singer is ultimately going to get the biggest payday of anyone involved with the film because it’s still his movie despite being fired. That’s probably why most people are annoyed with the wins, not so much the movie itself. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

I’d consider sexually assaulting minors being worse than an asshole, that’s called a predator.

It’s really not about the film, it’s about the fact it’s elevating the status of sexual predators in a time when we’re still trying to get people to take the crime seriously.

Evidently they don’t, because we’re still showering awards and status to predators (well white predators).

But that's the thing. Bryan Singer isn't getting awarded. And why does being white make a predator worse? All predators are of the same vile nature.

Aside from anything to do with Singer. I just don't think that facsimile biopics* of the nature of Bohemian Rhapsody have any business being in the conversation for awards. And I would say the same thing if First Man was in the conversation. And I felt the same way about Gandhi, The King's Speech, The Queen, The Iron Lady, Ray, Ali, Lincoln, The Theory of Everything and several others.

We are used to and seem to simply accept the idea that comedies and blockbusters don't/rarely get in the conversation, ostensibly because of the limits they have in exploring deeper concepts or themes but you can double or treble down on this for the facsimile biopic. By their nature they can be well made, enjoyable, successful, popular but to me there's just a fundamental limit in what they can ever actually try to achieve artistically. If you're accepting that's the case for blockbusters, comedies, horror as the awards bodies usually do, surely these limits apply even more to these biopics. They are just fundamentally artistically unambitious by their nature.

*By "facsimile biopic" I refer to any biopic film that represents some kind of replication of the real life of a famous person, albeit with some artistic license to either simplify the person represented or more likely to make the film more digestible for the wide audience. This would contrast with biopics that attempt to use the person as a metaphor for the age in which they existed or a wider concept such as Wolf of Wall Street, Zodiac, The Social Network, Amadeus or The Favourite which aim much, much higher artistically.  

3 hours ago, The Panda said:

I’d consider sexually assaulting minors being worse than an asshole, that’s called a predator.

It’s really not about the film, it’s about the fact it’s elevating the status of sexual predators in a time when we’re still trying to get people to take the crime seriously.

Evidently they don’t, because we’re still showering awards and status to predators (well white predators).

I don't see Singer getting any kind of praise for this film at all.  He might be getting paid, because thats the deal he worked out, but he might never work again, not in Hollywood.  Look, I'm on your side, I detest that farging icehole.  But the film is good, it's really good.  As I said, you can separate the two.

• Like 3

I mean, I really doubt anyone expects Singer to benefit from this other than financially. His firing from the movie was well-publicized and Hollywood studios are no longer financing him given that his Fox offices have closed and the next project he’s circling is with a studio not known for producing high-quality films.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

It doesn’t make it worse, that’s not what I said.

It’s just the white ones that seem to always get away with it.

Ive mentioned I Get he isn’t getting the award but movies are viewed as the directors film.  He gets the attention of it.  It’s his ego you stroke.  It shows studios they don’t have to worry about keeping their directors in check because nobody will care.

This is probably the first time I’m legitimately pissed off by an awards show, mostly because their action sets a terrible example in a time where there’s zero accountability in every direction.

Okay. I'm fine with people having this viewpoint, but I still want people to be careful not to direct villainization towards the people who say they enjoy the movie, as with what happened with Elsie Fisher. Because the general public rarely cares who the director is. That's the audience that all of us have come from in our journies to becoming film enthusiasts... Even at an age when I was saying I wanted to be a movie director when I grew up, I don't recall caring about who the director was when I was watching old Disney films and all the movies at the theater. And I'm sure children are being dragged to the theater to see Bohemian Rhapsody. I don't want the children to be villainized. They're seeing the blood, sweat, and tears of the actors, videographers, set designers, makeup departments... many different film jobs that arr regarded as American Dream jobs. And those children are staring up at the screen in awe because they're not worried about all that. They're just enjoying the film itself, along with the classic music of Queen. But people who take a director--one that the studio has tried extremely hard to sever the film's connection with--and attach it with the film to the point where they'll attack anyone who enjoys such a monumental material good as a film... They could very well be villainizing innocent children. And that's wrong on all levels.

It sounds like you've got a mature grasp on the situation but that's just something I felt like I had to say.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slambros said:

Okay. I'm fine with people having this viewpoint, but I still want people to be careful not to direct villainization towards the people who say they enjoy the movie, as with what happened with Elsie Fisher. Because the general public rarely cares who the director is. That's the audience that all of us have come from in our journies to becoming film enthusiasts... Even at an age when I was saying I wanted to be a movie director when I grew up, I don't recall caring about who the director was when I was watching old Disney films and all the movies at the theater. And I'm sure children are being dragged to the theater to see Bohemian Rhapsody. I don't want the children to be villainized. They're seeing the blood, sweat, and tears of the actors, videographers, set designers, makeup departments... many different film jobs that arr regarded as American Dream jobs. And those children are staring up at the screen in awe because they're not worried about all that. They're just enjoying the film itself, along with the classic music of Queen. But people who take a director--one that the studio has tried extremely hard to sever the film's connection with--and attach it with the film to the point where they'll attack anyone who enjoys such a monumental material good as a film... They could very well be villainizing innocent children. And that's wrong on all levels.

It sounds like you've got a mature grasp on the situation but that's just something I felt like I had to say.

Yes, shitting on people like Fisher was wrong, and I was wrong for making a sarcastic jab at her tweet.

And I think there’s a difference between personally liking the movie, and giving the film a giant platform and marketing tool to put more money in Singer’s pocket.

• Like 1