Eric Atreides

Venom: Let There Be Carnage l October 1 2021 | NOT getting delayed

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Michelle Williams' name should be on the poster too

In the run up to the release of the first film she did an interview where she said the reason she chose to do Venom was because they didn’t teach financial literacy as a child actor and she has a mortgage.

She doesn’t want her name on that poster. 

1 hour ago, RRA said:

If Shang-Chi has a perceived good OW, will Sony pull the trigger? 

Sadly, I think it'll be too late. 

Shocked something like Jackass Forever hasn't moved up.

But yeah, I maintain opening this on the same day as Halloween Kills is the most boneheaded decision I've seen in a long time for BOTH studios. I can not emphasize enough the fact that Venom 1 and Halloween Kills had an opening weekend difference of just $4m. And their target audiences I don't think are THAT difference. There's gonna be complete cannibalization of each other, not to mention the other major releases around the 2

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Sadly, I think it'll be too late. 

Shocked something like Jackass Forever hasn't moved up.

But yeah, I maintain opening this on the same day as Halloween Kills is the most boneheaded decision I've seen in a long time for BOTH studios. I can not emphasize enough the fact that Venom 1 and Halloween Kills had an opening weekend difference of just $4m. And their target audiences I don't think are THAT difference. There's gonna be complete cannibalization of each other, not to mention the other major releases around the 2

Yup, I liked Venom and I’m down for the sequel, but I love Halloween, so Halloween Kills is getting my money on opening weekend. I expect Venom to come out on top, but they’re both definitely going to cannibalise each other. Sony are stupid for choosing that date, whether it opens at number 1 or not.

2 hours ago, babz06 said:

absolutely stupid decision by all studios to pack October like that. All films will eat each other audiences. 

Makes no sense. It's like the desperation to get these movies out ASAP has led to terrible decision-making. Venom was better off in September, or better yet, move it to January and sell off Morbius to Netflix. 

25 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Makes no sense. It's like the desperation to get these movies out ASAP has led to terrible decision-making. Venom was better off in September, or better yet, move it to January and sell off Morbius to Netflix. 

If we learned anything from Snakes Eyes, its that just maybe the streamers won't buy anything (garbage) from the studios.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, babz06 said:

absolutely stupid decision by all studios to pack October like that. All films will eat each other audiences. 

Will see, there is some synergy in it and with all the backlog at some point at one time there is no choice to feel a little stuffed (if it is really particularly or if we are just so used to the empty landscape that make it more than it is).

Edited by Barnack

I'm gonna take the alt tack, and say Venom is a perfect October release and the other October ones not named Halloween Kills (which should move off the weekend earlier), might want to get out of October...Venom just needs one ad that references it affects the Spidey movie or has some connection, and its horror theming plus its superhero self plus its dark humor will make it the biggest October release by a mile...

I have told the youngest if we turn the Covid corner this September (b/c it seems my area trailed everywhere else by a few weeks, so we're still increasing all our "rates/numbers" - Covid positivity, hospitalizations, deaths, etc - and so I'm bunkering down a few weeks now, or til we have a big turn, and sticking to outdoors and short inside stays), I would take him to an October movie - and this is the one he wants most...and then he wants Halloween Kills (I never should have taken him to the cheap Halloween showing last year b/c I created a monster!)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, Bond should blink and go there...it skews older and needs more time for them to show after boosters...

All the Bond billboards went up at my local cinema last weekend.

It opens here in the UK 4 weeks tomorrow and our box office is doing well, I can’t see Bond delaying again. But you never know. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Wish this would move to Top Gun’s old date, November 19th. 

According to the Top Gun 2 Deadline article, there’s “buzz” that Venom might move there. Fingers crossed it’s more than just a rumour. Surely Sony can see that a pre-thanksgiving release for this would be ideal, and much better than being sandwiched between Bond, Halloween Kills and Dune.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnokesLegs said:

According to the Top Gun 2 Deadline article, there’s “buzz” that Venom might move there. Fingers crossed it’s more than just a rumour. Surely Sony can see that a pre-thanksgiving release for this would be ideal, and much better than being sandwiched between Bond, Halloween Kills and Dune.

But Sony has Ghostbusters, and they aren't gonna release 2 blockbusters in back to back weeks...

Edit to Add: If anything, the trailer last night would have Ghostbusters move to Thanksgiving and Venom taking its old date on Nov 11...so each movie gets 2 weeks of PLF...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But Sony has Ghostbusters, and they aren't gonna release 2 blockbusters in back to back weeks...

Edit to Add: If anything, the trailer last night would have Ghostbusters move to Thanksgiving and Venom taking its old date on Nov 11...so each movie gets 2 weeks of PLF...

Ah yes, I’d forgotten about Ghostbusters. I kind of doubt that Sony would want to release Venom 2 a mere week after Eternals though.