Eric Atreides

Venom: Let There Be Carnage l October 1 2021 | NOT getting delayed

2 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

According to the Top Gun 2 Deadline article, there’s “buzz” that Venom might move there. Fingers crossed it’s more than just a rumour. Surely Sony can see that a pre-thanksgiving release for this would be ideal, and much better than being sandwiched between Bond, Halloween Kills and Dune.

Well Ghostbusters is on the week before the 19th, and I doubt Sony wants their two biggest tentpoles back to back.

And honestly, I feel like Venom is in the most comfortable position out of all the October movies since its 18-34 male audience has been the most reliable demo for the year. Dune's on HBO Max, so it'll only open to like 30M, Bond skews towards adult audiences who just haven't come out to the theaters yet, and Halloween Kills always seemed like a film that would drop like a rock from its predecessor (I was predicting like a 35M opening even back in 2019, but I know I'm in the minority on that one).

I do think a January 2022 date would be beneficial to the movie however, especially because it'll ride the NWH coattails

• Like 2

Just now, Krissykins said:

Tickets for Bond go on sale in two days so they would have to do it quickly. 

Studios have shown an amazing ability to kick movies quickly when they want to do so...Black Widow waited til the last minute, so there's no issue with last minute for US release kicks...

Heck, Jackass 4 is everywhere on theatrical trailers and posters from what I saw yesterday - didn't stop the kick...

I kind of want them to swap Ghostbusters and Venom 2 now. The former's pretty much the equivalent to Heath Ledger's Joker burning a giant pile of cash, and dumping it on October will at least ensure it bombs quietly. Venom 2 will benefit greatly from being in a far less crowded month, only truly butting heads with Eternals instead of Halloween, Bond and Dune. The trailers indicate buzz is strong.

• Like 1

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I kind of want them to swap Ghostbusters and Venom 2 now. The former's pretty much the equivalent to Heath Ledger's Joker burning a giant pile of cash, and dumping it on October will at least ensure it bombs quietly. Venom 2 will benefit greatly from being in a far less crowded month, only truly butting heads with Eternals instead of Halloween, Bond and Dune. The trailers indicate buzz is strong.

My Free Guy audience responded well to Ghostbusters last night, so I wouldn't totally underestimate a multi-generational draw from the Stranger Things demo...it's better for a "kid holiday" than dog days of October where horror rules...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Heck, Jackass 4 is everywhere on theatrical trailers and posters from what I saw yesterday - didn't stop the kick...

I’m actually more gutted about the Jackass move than the Top Gun move. Although Jackass plays better to a packed crowd, so I can sort of understand it if they’re hoping to try and avoid stricter social distancing measures.

No time to die and Venom both fucked up with releasing trailers and posters in the last 24 hours with their current dates lol. If they waited just a tad longer, they could've easily taken that November spot. Now it'll just be embarrassing if they move either of them again

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

They could always just move Ghostbusters to 2022 (or sell it to Amazon) and send Venom to November. 

We’ll see what happens. 

Venom would directly compete with Eternals if it took Afterlife's spot. Only a week later, it's a bad spot for Venom but good for counter-programming. I think you are onto something and something from October will move to now vacated spot. 

Edited by Valonqar

4 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Why does everyone hate the new Ghostbusters movie? Looks so much better than the 2016 movie, Reitman is a talented filmmaker, and the screening at Cinemacon went really well. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Why does everyone hate the new Ghostbusters movie? Looks so much better than the 2016 movie, Reitman is a talented filmmaker, and the screening at Cinemacon went really well. 

A comedy sequel that doesn't even try to be funny is as bad as a comedy sequel that tries to be funny but sucks as it if you ask me.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
4 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

No time to die and Venom both fucked up with releasing trailers and posters in the last 24 hours with their current dates lol. If they waited just a tad longer, they could've easily taken that November spot. Now it'll just be embarrassing if they move either of them again

Just my two cents, but I think No Time to Die is as well positioned in early October as it could be in mid-November. October is crowded, I completely agree, but NTTD is first out of the gate and the next major release one month after Shang-Chi. It'll have pent-up demand (whatever that means these days) on its side in addition to all of the other anticipation that comes with along with the first Bond movie in 6 years / Craig's final film / etc.

Venom, on the other hand... point taken. Sony was bold to move into it October knowing what awaited it at the time. Between it, Halloween Kills, and Dune, it feels like something has to budge. HK has been marketed the least (by far), but it also is just well timed in October for obvious reasons. I'm really not sure what these studios can or should do at this point.... besides move something into 2022.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

A comedy sequel that doesn't even try to be funny is as bad as a comedy sequel that tries to be funny but sucks as it if you ask me.

I kinda prefer this though. Ghostbusters has such a legacy beyond "comedy" at this point. 

• Founder / Operator
38 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Dune is DOA. Forget that. Universal should delay Halloween one week and The Last Duel should move to MLK weekend (with a limited release over Christmas).

The Last Duel is in such a strange spot. I like your suggestion, though.

• Thanks 1

• Founder / Operator
2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The legacy is the comedy. Everything else is merely marketing to get people to buy the merch.

Honestly, most of the comedy went over my head as a kid. I didn't see it as much more than a supernatural adventure movie until I was in my late teens/early 20s... at least. But that's just me. :lol:

• Like 1