Eric Atreides

Venom: Let There Be Carnage l October 1 2021 | NOT getting delayed

16 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Not sure why people are so offended at 90 minutes. It's two goofy symbiotes clashing with one another, so it's not like there's some grand story here.

While not a fan of short length. I get what you are saying and it does seem like they are only focusing on what worked in first movie. 

24 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Not sure why people are so offended at 90 minutes. It's two goofy symbiotes clashing with one another, so it's not like there's some grand story here.

Oh I get what they are after lol. I just know that short times usually correspond with equally crappy product. I am sure its a mess even if they added an extra 30 minutes. 

1 minute ago, RRA said:

One of my pet peeves of modern movies are them being unnecessarily long (Space Jam 2 was a half hour longer than the original. Did more of it make it better?) so I welcome this news if true.

Mike Ryan made a banger article a couple weeks back about how messed up pacing is in movies these days. I feel like every movie this summer had the exact same issue of not knowing when to call it quits and it's infuriating stuff. Is Hollywood afraid people won't get their money's worth? Do they think folks hate watching short movies? There are some weirdos who are all "epic runtime" whenever a 2:30 movie hits, but I doubt they're the majority. But I guess judging by how people are doom and gloom over...*checks notes*...Venom 2 being short, maybe I'm the idiot here.

https://uproxx.com/movies/modern-movie-endings/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Mike Ryan made a banger article a couple weeks back about how messed up pacing is in movies these days. I feel like every movie this summer had the exact same issue of not knowing when to call it quits and it's infuriating stuff. Is Hollywood afraid people won't get their money's worth? Do they think folks hate watching short movies? There are some weirdos who are all "epic runtime" whenever a 2:30 movie hits, but I doubt they're the majority. But I guess judging by how people are doom and gloom over...*checks notes*...Venom 2 being short, maybe I'm the idiot here.

https://uproxx.com/movies/modern-movie-endings/

i feel him about movies that take ages to end. old kung fu movies and universal monster movies I'd look at the run time and they're still fighting with like 40 seconds of the movie left. Nowadays everything thinks it needs 4 or 5 scenes of wrap up but most people start checking out when the main conflict's over anyway.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i feel him about movies that take ages to end. old kung fu movies and universal monster movies I'd look at the run time and they're still fighting with like 40 seconds of the movie left. Nowadays everything thinks it needs 4 or 5 scenes of wrap up but most people start checking out when the main conflict's over anyway.

For as good of a movie it is, Air Force One really overstays its welcome after the "Get off my plane" line. That should have been the ending, instead we spend a further setpiece with the rogue secret agent no one cares about.

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I checked back and Venom had almost 20 minutes of credits. I have a hard time wrapping around the fact that this film might be just 1 hr 10 minutes long. 

yeah i remember that. it had two unusually long post credits scenes though. the second one is like a full five minute preview of Into the Spiderverse.

edit: oh shit are we gonna get five minutes of morbius at the end of this?

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the second one is like a full five minute preview of Into the Spiderverse.

I thought they  included that just for the theatrical release, but TIL that preview is also on the movie's home video releases. If that's the case, this movie will be like 10-15 minutes shorter than the first movie, which isn't a lot.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I checked back and Venom had almost 20 minutes of credits. I have a hard time wrapping around the fact that this film might be just 1 hr 10 minutes long. 

Even better.  I am totally in team "every film now-a-days is 5 to 10 minutes too long."

• Like 2

Short run times are fine by me. Cut out all the fat that nobody cares about. If you don't have 2.5 hours of story to tell for the love of god stop padding it with scenes that add nothing.

People whine if your movie is 90 minutes and whine if its 180. Apparently only films in the 120-160 range are okay.

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Short run times are fine by me. Cut out all the fat that nobody cares about. If you don't have 2.5 hours of story to tell for the love of god stop padding it with scenes that add nothing.

People whine if your movie is 90 minutes and whine if its 180. Apparently only films in the 120-160 range are okay.

But short run time normally does suggest there is insufficient plot to carry the film to begin with....I mean this is shorter than animation. 

Edited by Borobudur

8 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

But short run time normally does suggest there is insufficient plot to carry the film to begin with....I mean this is shorter than animation. 

Stand By Me, Evil Dead, The Limey, Sexy Beast are just a few movies under 90 minutes.

Venom 2 might well be bad but the length wont be the deciding factor of it. People are just used to bad editing, bloated story lines and 15 people all having a say in the final cut of the movie these days.  

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I watch a lot of older films from the 20s to the 50s and a lot of them are under 90 minutes. Some are just an hour.

A lot of modern movies are needlessly bloated. 

Feel the same show about tv shows tbh. Some of them have about 6 or 7 episodes worth of plot but have 12 episodes.

But, in reference to Venom 2, well if it's a few less scenes of Michelle William's sleeping through this, that's fine by me. I dont think this films quality would improve by another 30 minutes.

Gimme 90 minutes of woody and hardy being hammy I'm fine with that. Wasnt expecting much plot from this.

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Like 3

Tracking thread says this is having a slow start in PS so far, though I wonder how much that has to do with this out in 3 weeks and the many date changes some people might not even know it's coming that soon? Hell I had a co-worker who thought this was coming out in January (remember that rumored move that didn't happen?) 

• Like 1