Eric Duncan

Venom: Let There Be Carnage l October 1 2021 | NOT getting delayed

7 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I would have asked in tracking thread but since we are talking about time here, I think ticket prices should also depend on run time. I think an same hype 3 hours movie should be a lot more expensive than same hype 1.5 hour movie.

In some countries - I think Germany is one there's an extra ticket fee for longer films.  But I could see studios just adding flab to films to get extra fees so it wouldn't really work.

I do think though there should be different ticket prices for films depending on budget, popularity, genre, scale whatever.   More people would go see mid and low  budget drama, thriller, romance and Indie films if the ticket prices were lower.  (just look at how popular cheap Tues became)  A lot of people look at a $15-20+ (NY here) ticket and think I can wait until its on TV or streaming.  

Mid tier and indie films used to be  bolstered by the huge VCR, DVD rental and buying which was in part driven by I can skip it at the theater and get it for $2.99 at blockbuster or buy it for $12.99 when it comes out.    Now there's streaming for them but it's not as profitable unless it goes direct to streaming and they don't have to pay all that marketing $.

As for paying $17+ for approx 75 minutes of actual film (credit time does not count) that isn't a masterpiece that demands the big screen.  No thanks. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

I watch a lot of older films from the 20s to the 50s and a lot of them are under 90 minutes. Some are just an hour.

A lot of modern movies are needlessly bloated. 

Feel the same show about tv shows tbh. Some of them have about 6 or 7 episodes worth of plot but have 12 episodes.

But, in reference to Venom 2, well if it's a few less scenes of Michelle William's sleeping through this, that's fine by me. I dont think this films quality would improve by another 30 minutes.

Gimme 90 minutes of woody and hardy being hammy I'm fine with that. Wasnt expecting much plot from this.

I had that EXACT thought...if she's cut from the movie, and that's why it's short, that's like a win/win...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Borobudur said:

But short run time normally does suggest there is insufficient plot to carry the film to begin with....I mean this is shorter than animation. 

Singing in The Rain is the greatest movie of all time and it clocks in at 102 minutes. So, no. 

ETA: And that includes a 14 minute ballet sequence. So it’s really about 88 minutes. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cap said:

Singing in The Rain is the greatest movie of all time and it clocks in at 102 minutes. So, no. 

ETA: And that includes a 14 minute ballet sequence. So it’s really about 88 minutes. 

The ballet sequence is still part of the high entertainment value.  It's not like 14 minutes of end credits.  Opening credits were 90 seconds with a bit of a musical number.   The actual film still clocked in at 100min +. 

There are though quite a good to great movies that clocked in around 90 min - particularly from the 30s and 40s when scripts tended to be tighter (and if they were screwball comedies talked much faster) but again that didn't account for 10+ minutes of end credits (or the ridiculous 20 for Venom)

15 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The ballet sequence is still part of the high entertainment value. 

Lol no, hon. I didn’t mean it like that. I meant that within the story is a 14 minute ballet that doesn’t “advance the plot/story” and the film still feels tight, complete, and satisfying. Every celluloid frame of that movie is perfect, and I will defend all of it to the death. 😂

Just saying: I don’t buy into “longer is better” at all. 

3 hours ago, Cap said:

just saying: I don’t buy into “longer is better” at all. 

The core issue of any movie's runtime is pacing. It's just like that old saying "time flies by when you're having fun", regardless of how long or short a movie is it needs to have a good momentum in order to keep it's audience invested.

A longer movie isn't inherently better than a shorter one and vise versa; what matters at the end of the day is how well the creatives can lock you into what's happening on screen.

Edited by clockwork

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's been rated by the MPAA so it's run time is set and theaters should already know it.

Godzilla vs Kong was initially 140 minutes on AMC and that was with it being rated PG-13 almost a year in advance before it's actual runtime was revealed. Justice League was 150 minutes briefly on some theater sites before it's 120 minute runtime was revealed.

90 minutes is the standard placeholder time for Fandango. It's not impossible, when you compare it to similar Sony horror-tinge franchises like it's Screen Gem films, Resident Evil and Underworld. . .but it's 50/50

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 1

Also some theaters are cramming in extra showtimes thanks to the 4pm preview start + run time.

They'll be a little miffed if they have to push times back thanks to a longer than expected run time.  Maybe back in the day they could eat the time difference (or more likely, push already overworked staff to clean auditoriums faster than they should).  But with increased cleaning standards due to COVID protocols... Well, they'll still push overworked staff harder than they should, but it won't make theater operators or their employees very happy.

A difference of a few minutes? Like two to four?  Eh.  Eight to ten or more? Or Fifteen?  Not exactly a way to make theaters happy with you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clifford41B said:

That's still 90 minutes without credits, same lenght as the previous one.

No it’s not, there’s no way this will have 19 minutes of credits…probably 8-10 minutes at most, which will make it around 100ish minutes. Also, how about we watch the film before slagging it off for being “short”, for all we know it could be a brisk and fun 100ish minutes. Not every film needs to be 2 hours+, especially one about two CGI symbiotes fighting each other.

Edited by SnokesLegs