Eric Duncan

Venom: Let There Be Carnage l October 1 2021 | NOT getting delayed

Just rewatched the first for the first time in a while. It's not "good" but it is decently fun and it goes down easy. I can totally see why it had good WOM, and the second one looks more of the same, so it should do well enough.

I'll stick with a 50/135 prediction unless reviews skew insanely positive or negative. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

Just rewatched the first for the first time in a while. It's not "good" but it is decently fun and it goes down easy. I can totally see why it had good WOM, and the second one looks more of the same, so it should do well enough.

I'll stick with a 50/135 prediction unless reviews skew insanely positive or negative. 

I think 2.7x multiplier would be unlikely for a sequel, especially since it will have competition with brand new blockbusters for 3 straight weeks after it releases, but we shall see. 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 8:29 PM, EmpireCity said:

I mean, you don't need me to tell you it isn't good.  They are telling you.  

90 minute run time.

"Fans First" premiere

No critics review until opening night

Do they need tv ads with quotes from Twitter fans to finish off the shitty red flags?

HaHa, I wake up this morning and turn on ESPN Gameday and sure enough there is a 30 second Venom spot featuring twitter reactions from the fan premiere.  

If any of you had any question this is a film that the studio knows is garbage, there you go.  

The positive is that the studio knowing what they have will be reasonable about the opening not being as big as the last one.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Anytime I hear about there being a "fans first" screening or a "fan premiere" before critics are able to see a movie to me that signals that something is up. Trying to generate hype from people who are just happy to see a free movie isn't all that slick of a move.

We've seen it time and again; when studios are confident in their movie they'll let critics see it sometimes several weeks early to start generating hype for it. When those review embargoes lift just a day before or on the night it premieres you know what's up, gotta sucker people in before pulling the rug out from under them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, clockwork said:

Anytime I hear about there being a "fans first" screening or a "fan premiere" before critics are able to see a movie to me that signals that something is up. Trying to generate hype from people who are just happy to see a free movie isn't all that slick of a move.

We've seen it time and again; when studios are confident in their movie they'll let critics see it sometimes several weeks early to start generating hype for it. When those review embargoes lift just a day before or on the night it premieres you know what's up, gotta sucker people in before pulling the rug out from under them.

Honestly I'm still surprised Marvel had those fan screenings for SC. Sure they were held after the premiere/critics saw it first, but that's something they usually don't do with their stuff. I guess they just wanted to make sure that positive WOM would spread pre-release, and apparently it worked (maybe Black Widow's performance spooked them?)

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

HaHa, I wake up this morning and turn on ESPN Gameday and sure enough there is a 30 second Venom spot featuring twitter reactions from the fan premiere.  

If any of you had any question this is a film that the studio knows is garbage, there you go.  

The positive is that the studio knowing what they have will be reasonable about the opening not being as big as the last one.  

I'm curious to see how folks who liked the first (poorly reviewed) movie respond to this. Maybe this franchise is review proof? 

Of course that's the thing Venom had going for it: That surprised many people, some in the "better than the dog poop I was expecting" category. 

38 minutes ago, RRA said:

I'm curious to see how folks who liked the first (poorly reviewed) movie respond to this. Maybe this franchise is review proof? 

Of course that's the thing Venom had going for it: That surprised many people, some in the "better than the dog poop I was expecting" category. 

Honestly I’m expecting “so bad it’s fun”, just like the first one. If it reviews poorly, it probably means it’s exactly what I’m looking for. I’m not sure reviews really matter for this, nobody is expecting The Dark Knight.

On 9/25/2021 at 9:33 PM, Knights of Ren said:

Why would anybody care for what critics have to say about Venom anyways?  This film was going to be panned by critics before it was even made.  It’s not meant to be taken too seriously. 

You really think a movie about Venom could never appeal to critics? I kind of hate the fact that so many people have just accepted that these movies are trainwrecks. If we reward garbage then we're only going to get more garbage.

'

• Like 2