Jump to content
Eric Madrigal

Venom: Let There Be Carnage l October 1 2021 | NOT getting delayed

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

35% on RT. Fantastic 4 Rise of silver surfer situation.

Yeah I think the critics who are active on Twitter will be kind to this movie as they kinda have been having fun with the first movie too (people like Mike Ryan and Chris Evangelista, for example already seem like they'll give this a positive score on RT). 

 

But "Top" critics like AO Scott of the New York Times and people reviewing for newspapers of that caliber... no way. They'll pan it just like Venom 1 

 

I think somewhere in the 35% range is most likely. Maybe can get into the 40% area

Edited by Pinacolada
Link to post
Share on other sites

My thing with these movies is that people made the first sound like a glorious mess and "so bad it's good" and all that, and then I got around to watching it on digital, and it was mostly just standard mediocre with a couple of nice moments, nothing like (for example) Spider-Man 3, which is actually a glorious mess. Did not live up to my expectations. So I'm really skeptical when people are claiming these things about the second.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Carnage CGI and visuals overall in that 4 minute prison break clip look absolutely horrendous, this is just unacceptable for a big budget movie, especially with a year long delay. It looks even worse than first Venom's CGI at times. It's hard to believe Andy Serkis and Robert Richardson were responsible for this "movie".

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

Yeah I think the critics who are active on Twitter will be kind to this movie as they kinda have been having fun with the first movie too (people like Mike Ryan and Chris Evangelista, for example already seem like they'll give this a positive score on RT). 

 

But "Top" critics like AO Scott of the New York Times and people reviewing for newspapers of that caliber... no way. They'll pan it just like Venom 1 

 

I think somewhere in the 35% range is most likely. Maybe can get into the 40% area

 

My opinions jive with the newspaper critics more often, so I'm sure I'll hate it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Carnage CGI and visuals overall in that 4 minute prison break clip look absolutely horrendous, this is just unacceptable for a big budget movie, especially with a year long delay. It looks even worse than first Venom's CGI at times. It's hard to believe Andy Serkis and Robert Richardson were responsible for this "movie".

 

I find it interesting that no studio has invested more time/money in improving their films during the big hiatus. First Shang Chi's ugly finale, now this. 

 

Proves that it isn't time that causes bad FX work, it's cheap executives trying to penny-pinch filmmakers. 

  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I find it interesting that no studio has invested more time/money in improving their films during the big hiatus. First Shang Chi's ugly finale, now this. 

 

Proves that it isn't time that causes bad FX work, it's cheap executives trying to penny-pinch filmmakers. 

Yeah, also Black Panther CGI in the final fight. But I think no true A-list director would accept such a bad result no matter how greedy executives are, it looks much worse than many today's video-games which run in real time. And not only Carnage looks terrible, but also everything around him like prison cells, lighting, additional effects, even people. Was it shot by the same guy who shot Tarantino and Scorsese movies? I would never assume that looking at this.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Carnage CGI and visuals overall in that 4 minute prison break clip look absolutely horrendous, this is just unacceptable for a big budget movie, especially with a year long delay. It looks even worse than first Venom's CGI at times. It's hard to believe Andy Serkis and Robert Richardson were responsible for this "movie".

Tbh,  I don't think is that big budget of a movie. The first one cost $100m. This one does not look that much more expensive in terms of scale. I bet this one cost like $125m.

 

I do agree though that the Robert Richardson cinematography is a major disappointment. I can't tell if it visually looks better or worse than the first one. I think the aspect ratio they went with for this hurts it a bit too.

 

 

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Yeah, also Black Panther CGI in the final fight. But I think no true A-list director would accept such a bad result no matter how greedy executives are, it looks much worse than many today's video-games which run in real time. And not only Carnage looks terrible, but also everything around him like prison cells, lighting, additional effects, even people. Was it shot by the same guy who shot Tarantino and Scorsese movies? I would never assume that looking at this.

 

I can't speak to the rest of the movie as I haven't seen it yet. I'm mostly just judging CGI work. That being said, DPs are typically not involved in shots that are mostly CGI. 

 

So Bill Pope likely had no input when it came to coloring Shang Chi's finale, ditto Robert Richardson in this case. 

Edited by tonytr87
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.