Eric Atreides

Venom: Let There Be Carnage l October 1 2021 | NOT getting delayed

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

There can be a big difference between a good movie and an enjoyable movie though. Bad Boys 2 going by a critical standpoint is not a good movie, but everyone loves it.

I knew watching my way through Venom that this was a piss poor standard in story telling and narrative structure but then Tom Hardy would do something funny and I would forget all about it. I'm not expecting a top tier masterpiece and I doubt critics were either so I guess it's easy to be surprised 

I'm gonna disagree on that. Sure critics hated it because they found it too offensive but Bad Boys 2 had exceptionally well-directed action scenes, really sharp chemistry and humor, and was well-paced and stylish. I think it was a really well-made action movie and if it was released today, when critics are more kind to these types of movies, it would get good reviews. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I've seen this complaint in a couple of other films as well.

Why would anyone expect studios to spend a single dime on movies during this "extra year" considering that they (from what I understand) lost money each and every month it was on the shelf?

Or, to put it a different way, why would one expect studios to increase a film's budget when it was costing money to keep it on the shelf and was likely to make less money when it was finally released?

And in general, improving a movie's CGI has got to be one of the least effective uses of money for a studio. The vast majority of the audience isn't going to notice/care, and even for critics who do it's typically quite low in terms of importance. Scenes with bad CGI tend to have other, more pressing issues wrong with them, such as lack of stakes, unclear action or narrative choppiness that critics care more about, and won't be fixed simply by improving the CGI quality.

47 minutes ago, Menor said:

I'm gonna disagree on that. Sure critics hated it because they found it too offensive but Bad Boys 2 had exceptionally well-directed action scenes, really sharp chemistry and humor, and was well-paced and stylish. I think it was a really well-made action movie and if it was released today, when critics are more kind to these types of movies, it would get good reviews. 

Yeah ok I personally can't fault the film as it's one of my favourites and the car chase is probably the best car chase put to film. In terms of action, delivering relatable characters and humour, Bay is one of the best directors out there, regardless of his latest transformer movies 

The guy made fighting robots cool before Iron Man too

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Menor said:

You may be right that critics are more kind to these kinds of movies, but what they've gotten even worse about is so-called offensiveness. They would absolutely pan Bad Boys 2 in 2021 because it doesn't conform to their delicate sensibilities. 

• Like 1

Just now, tonytr87 said:

You may be right that critics are more kind to these kinds of movies, but what they've gotten even worse about is so-called offensiveness. They would absolutely pan Bad Boys 2 in 2021 because it doesn't conform to their delicate sensibilities. 

Yeah this is true. There would be no 'dead ass titties' scene that's for sure

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I've seen this complaint in a couple of other films as well.

Why would anyone expect studios to spend a single dime on movies during this "extra year" considering that they (from what I understand) lost money each and every month it was on the shelf?

Or, to put it a different way, why would one expect studios to increase a film's budget when it was costing money to keep it on the shelf and was likely to make less money when it was finally released?

Because I'm an informed, educated consumer who wants a good movie. We're not studio executives here, so why should my sentiments sound like I am? 

3 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Yeah that's fair, the humor would not be accepted by critics now (even then many critics gave bad reviews because they found it too offensive). 

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if it was like 16 positive reviews in a row and then 2 negative. Sample size is really low. But all audience start is not that amazing either and that at least has more than 50 ratings.

That said I don't think anyone expected this to have amazing WOM in the US. I expect a B+ Cinemascore, maybe A- at best.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

No Venombros we got to cocky! 58% 5.5 average, 89% Audience. 

Bondbros reviewbomb? :ph34r:

;)

LMAO! I'm heartbroken over here.

Seriously though, it was pretty exciting waking up and seeing the score in the 70% range. I was thinking maybe this is legitimately surprisingly pretty fun. But It's got some PANS. Seems like it's gonna be very annoying to some people.

Honestly, doesn't even sound like much of an improvement on the first one, in terms of quality. Seems like they doubled down on the Eddie/Venom relationship and that should work for some folks, but others will be DEEPLY annoyed by it, whereas they were mildly amused by it in the first one. 

In the first one it was a surprising good quality, but here it seems like they may have overdone it to the point where it just seems desperate. I've read that from some folks

Idk, I hope to see it on Friday

Just now, Pinacolada said:

LMAO! I'm heartbroken over here.

Seriously though, it was pretty exciting waking up and seeing the score in the 70% range. I was thinking maybe this is legitimately surprisingly pretty fun. But It's got some PANS. Seems like it's gonna be very annoying to some people.

The first one was pretty fun but had a bad RT score, I don't see what's stopping this movie from being the same.