AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

Don't Pixar films take years to make? How on Earth can they switch directors this late?Come to think of it, the premise sounds great for selling toys, like the Cars premise...Although this premise is very interesting and I love dinosaurs.

Edited by KingKong

Much of the developing time is spent figuring out the characters and story. If what they say is true then the issue here is that they need someone who isn't as attached to the numerous ideas they have to organize and condense the film into a coherent narrative. Considering that Toy Story 2 was completely rewritten and animated within a year, they could probably do that in eight months. I'm sure Bob Peterson is still going to get a story credit at the very least.

Edited by tribefan695

Much of the developing time is spent figuring out the characters and story. If what they say is true then the issue here is that they need someone who isn't as attached to the numerous ideas they have to organize and condense the film into a coherent narrative. Considering that Toy Story 2 was completely rewritten and animated within a year, they could probably do that in eight months. I'm sure Bob Peterson is still going to get a story credit at the very least.

He better get a co-director credit... literally 8 months out and they haven't named a new director. I would be infuriated if some guy walked in, made a few finishing touches on the project I was directed, and then proceeded to take credit for the 80-90% of the work I did. 

He better get a co-director credit... literally 8 months out and they haven't named a new director. I would be infuriated if some guy walked in, made a few finishing touches on the project I was directed, and then proceeded to take credit for the 80-90% of the work I did. 

That pretty much happened to Brad Lewis on Cars 2... granted, he should be happy Lasseter took most of the fall for that.

• Like 1

Considering that Toy Story 2 was completely rewritten and animated within a year, they could probably do that in eight months. I'm sure Bob Peterson is still going to get a story credit at the very least.

for budget's sake, this must not happen

Can't imagine Peterson won't receive at least a co-director credit, if not equal billing. Chapman had equal billing on Brave despite being removed from the project with way more than eight months to go (her replacement was announced in October 2010), and Jan Pinkava had a co-director credit on Ratatouille even though he was apparently dropped during pre-production.

Any ideas why he was dropped?

From the little comments I've read around all the news articles, blogosphere, etc, sounds like another "director couldn't let go of certain things that the 'other brain trust' folk thought the movie could do without" deal, like Brenda Chapman.  Of course, we'll never know for sure what these certain things were.  One of the rumors that Chapman didn't want to let go of was setting the whole story in snow.  I doubt that was all, but who knows...

Still, I often wonder what these movies would turn out to be if they just let the person who originally came up with it just finish the damn thing.

• Like 1

From the little comments I've read around all the news articles, blogosphere, etc, sounds like another "director couldn't let go of certain things that the 'other brain trust' folk thought the movie could do without" deal, like Brenda Chapman.  Of course, we'll never know for sure what these certain things were.  One of the rumors that Chapman didn't want to let go of was setting the whole story in snow.  I doubt that was all, but who knows...

She didn't want the whole story in snow, she wanted from the curse on to be snow. She thought there should be a magical effect on the land when the curse hit. Its totally different. :P

• Like 1

She didn't want the whole story in snow, she wanted from the curse on to be snow. She thought there should be a magical effect on the land when the curse hit. Its totally different. :P

Yeah I wasn't really sure about that whole thing. If that was it, I really hope that wasn't why they got rid of her... Like I said, there's probably more to it. In any case, I wish they'd just let the director finish up, especially if its this close.