AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

It would be pointless filming a live action background because you would need to use CG later on anyway so it easier to just create a CG enviroment which can controlled and adapted it to suit the needs of the film makers. 

It would be pointless filming a live action background because you would need to use CG later on anyway so it easier to just create a CG enviroment which can controlled and adapted it to suit the needs of the film makers. 

Nothing pointless about it. It is just a different way to make a CGI movie.

• Like 1

Nothing pointless about it. It is just a different way to make a CGI movie.

It depends on the film, Dinosaur was meant to be more 'realistic' hence why it shot like Walking with Dinosaurs and Jurassic Park with the characters interacting with live action backgrounds. Hybrids like The Smurfs and Alvin is essentially a live action film with CG characters and you can get the reverse with films like Alice in Wonderland and 300 where everything aside from the actors was CG. 

Am I the only one annoyed that the story puts humans co-existing with dinosaurs? I know it's just a creative license, but it only makes me think constantly of stuff like this:

creationismposter-jesus-hugs-t-rex-dinos

Thats probably their intent.