AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

Oh my god. GOOD DINOSAUR is so damn fucking wonderful. I'm so glad kids films like this exist. It's astonishingly well made, I guess that's to be expected when these guys have been doing this for over two decades, but god it's remarkable just how talented the folks at Pixar really are. Obviously it is a much simpler film than Inside Out, but it's possibly Pixar's best told story.

Alone in the cinema, I flooded all the empty chairs with my tears. I just sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. It was such a joyous and moving experience, shame it is a financial failure (and we all thought Pixar could do no wrong at the box office)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jandrew said:

How was Sanjay's Super Team? I'll see TGD whenever, but I'm really curious about the short.

SST is a design experiment. It doesn't stand on its own as a short film, it's not sweet or funny or cute, but it's just a space for Pixar to experiment with different colours, animation styles, lighting effects etc. It's cool to see Pixar do some 2D animation but that's about it, the short as a whole is not particularly good.

• Like 1

I find Pixar feature shorts a hit and miss, their early ones are good and the ones related to characters from their films like the Toy Story ones are funny but the newer ones aren't as good. WDAS does seem to have a way to experiment with new technology with their shorts while being entertaining like with Get a Horse! Feast, Paperman etc and the ones like Frozen Fever are pretty decent as well. 

I wish other studios would do more shorts, Warner Bros did a few CG Looney Tunes shorts but they seem to have stopped and to me, a short with say the Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry etc would help bring their characters back into the public eye. The current Mickey Mouse shorts on Disney Channel are really good and hilarious as well. 

• Like 1

I can't believe there's been some controversy over the film being too upsetting for kids... like, all the classic kids movies have dealt with heavy subject matter, and it's important that they do so. Some parents need to grow up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, treeroy said:

I can't believe there's been some controversy over the film being too upsetting for kids... like, all the classic kids movies have dealt with heavy subject matter, and it's important that they do so. Some parents need to grow up.

I didn't think it was upsetting at all (story wise). But we've had a few parents complain about when 

Spoiler

Spot rips the head off the Beatle.

Which is stupid, why would they complain to the concessionist if they're unhappy with the content of the movie. Jeez.

10 hours ago, shayhiri said:

I'd lie if I say I hadn't considered that.

But I now have a better plan:

1 the Shay waits, patient as a giant crocodile in the shallows

2 until Pixar finish the downward spiral they are now in - and are on the verge of bankruptcy

3 then the Shay strikes and buys them out for a couple of hundred million bucks

4 BINGO: now the Shay can teach them how to write BESTSELLING stories - while utilizing their average but still worthwhile visual resources

5 EVERYONE PROFITS

lmao!

In Argentina it opens at around 300k, a very good opening. I expect it to have nice legs so not to be such a disapointment. I didn't watch it already, but next week i will take my nephiew to see this as i'm really exited. Every studio can have a disapointment, but i hope it is a great film. If it can make $180 dom and $250 OS, it will be disapointing but not a flop and considering dvd, blu ray and merchandasing it could be a minor hit (not an economical loss). 

On Monday, November 30, 2015 1:49:31, RichWS said:

Financial trouble? WHAT?

Everytime a studio has a film that flops or underperforms badly,a whole bunch of people who have no understanding of the business world predict doom and gloom for that studio.

It had to  happen eventually;Pixar eventually had to produce a dud.But still,it will not be a big dud and Pixar will suffer only minor losses on the film,and although the chances it will make any real profit are probably slim, it still has a reasonable chance of breaking even

And if you had to have a flop,this might be the least damaging time for it, given the huge cushion the gigantic sucess of Inside Out has Given Pixar.

And they have Finding Dory coming up,which ,although I have my doubts about quality vis a vis Finding Nemo,seems like a sure fire money maker for Pixar.