AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

How can they project $300m ww when it's at $283m now after just opening to $6.9m last w/e in Brazil and has China and Japan to open in.  :wacko:

It's had pretty good legs in a lot of markets but it's openings were so shockingly low that I think Disney really dropped the ball on marketing.  Maybe they got too tied up in Star Wars promotion or forgot they had two Pixar movies to market this year.

Edited by TalismanRing

Star Wars, Avengers and Inside Out alone have minted enough money to cover the losses for TGD and Tomorrowland. 

I think for Pixar, it's a good thing for them to have a flop because they can learn from its mistakes. I think Disney will likely not give them $200-250m+ budget for an original film again but unlike with DWA where a flop has detrimental effects, Pixar will come out of this fine

26 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Star Wars, Avengers and Inside Out alone have minted enough money to cover the losses for TGD and Tomorrowland. 

I think for Pixar, it's a good thing for them to have a flop because they can learn from its mistakes. I think Disney will likely not give them $200-250m+ budget for an original film again but unlike with DWA where a flop has detrimental effects, Pixar will come out of this fine

Well, it didn't start out that way with this movie. Would it have been more financially sound for Pixar to finish and release Peterson's allegedly mangled vision? We can't assume that film would've been any more of a hit. And Disney's certainly had their fair share of inflated budgets too. Treasure Planet is probably the most apt comparison here.

The only thing they can really do is reevaluate their greenlighting process, expect the people making their pitch to have a strong ending in mind, since that's supposedly what tripped Peterson up and forced them to simplify and streamline the story.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, it didn't start out that way with this movie. Would it have been more financially sound for Pixar to finish and release Peterson's allegedly mangled vision? We can't assume that film would've been any more of a hit. And Disney's certainly had their fair share of inflated budgets too. Treasure Planet is probably the most apt comparison here.

The only thing they can really do is reevaluate their greenlighting process, expect the people making their pitch to have a strong ending in mind, since that's supposedly what tripped Peterson up and forced them to simplify and streamline the story.

Judging by those recent Zootopia interviews looks like you only need a cool one line high concept to get an animated film greenlighted by the mouse. 

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think Disney will likely not give them $200-250m+ budget for an original film again

At least not for a first-time director. I wonder if they'd still be OK letting Pete Docter have one for his next project (which is also original). IO went over-budget, Lasseter insisted on the luminescence effects and so on, but it made a mint.

As of now, Docter is the only Pixar director to have a truly flawless track record (yes, I am counting John Carter and Tomorrowland because Disney put up the money and Lasseter/Pixar helped out to some degree or at least vouched for Stanton/Bird, and no, I am not counting Lee Unkrich because he only had one solo film and it was a sequel).

Edited by TServo2049

Inside Out had a relatively modest $175 mil budget. They may have underreported that too but it was no more "troubled" than the usual Pixar production.

The problems with this film went far beyond an inflated budget. People just didn't like it much. I can't begin to understand the thought process of those who hated this movie but you can't argue with its awful legs. Pixar will have to figure out why they did if they hope to stay in business.

It's strange that Pixar are allowed to have bigger budgets than WDAS films which are around $150-165m (Tangled was in development for a long time so all costs were bunged into one film), you would think Disney would want to keep budgets the same for all their animated films and TGD's flopping would give them justification to do that. 

9 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It's strange that Pixar are allowed to have bigger budgets than WDAS films which are around $150-165m (Tangled was in development for a long time so all costs were bunged into one film), you would think Disney would want to keep budgets the same for all their animated films and TGD's flopping would give them justification to do that. 

During the 00's, Pixar movies generated way more revenue than WDAS films, so it was understandable why Disney allowed Pixar bigger sums. However, expect WDAS movies to become bigger too, especially if Zootopia and Moana continue the studio's current hot streak. Though I do wonder whether the new Hyperion technology helps keep WDAS budgets from inflating.

If you watch the BTS featurettes for Inside Out it was ~this~ close to getting the same treatment as TGD in the development process. It took a miracle, that of Pete Docter coming up with the message of the current existing movie right before the critical screening. Much of that version prior, in which Fear and Bing Bong are revealed to be antagonists and try to destroy Joy (yes... it's that bad) is on the Blu-Ray.

The Good Dinosaur just never had that miracle happen. It's a hot mess and audiences rejected it. Pixar protects their people... while Sohn will likely never direct a feature again, they'll remain employed. Honestly this film most likely spells the death forever for animated talking dinosaur movies, that's what will really suffer.

I can live with that.

• Like 3