AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

I still feel like I'm going to love this more than IO. I had always had issues with that movie's conceit before release and they weren't entirely addressed by the film itself. The only thing I'm kinda worried about is the hillbilly raptors. I hope I find them funnier than Chang did

Aaaaaand the Oscar goes to: Inside Out.

I totally knew critics would unfairly compare the two, but it's inevitable. I mean, it sounds good but I don't even know if it'll be my #2 animated film of the year. It might go to Peanuts, I had a ton of fun watching that. I'm still eager to see it but unsurprisingly it's not another golden goose. The biggest praise seems to be "my god this film is purty!"

And hey, no mention of "The Croods" in these reviews. It's almost as if that comparison is really dumb!

• Like 1

I think Anomalisa would be the animation frontrunner if those reviews keep up.

They all seem to be loving the Arlo/Spot dynamic. It's just the setups and plot developments aren't that novel. I think this line from Grierson's review explains my hype for this movie best:

In part, the film is so potently evocative precisely because the script is so rudimentary, the on-the-nose dialogue and familiar thematic undertones a steady foundation upon which to build a collection of potent, beautiful images.

Edited by tribefan695

The film was clearly not inventive as inside out, i'm not surprised that the reception is not as good compared to the previous movie from Pixar.
But the reviews so far are good and the film looks pretty good, so i'm expecting something around or higher than 90% in the RT, only with a lower average that inside out (probably closer to 8.0 than 9.0).
It's still looking like another big hit from Pixar, and i think is extremely unfair to compare the two films because they are very different.

Edited by ThomasNicole

Regardless of how it compares to IO, I think it's unfair to dismiss this as Pixar slumming in the storytelling department. Sohn always intended the story as a baseline to craft moody, grand imagery around. I just hope this isn't lumped in as shorthand for Pixar mediocrity the way Cars and Brave are

• Like 1

So, this is minor Pixar, IMO. Good, certainly, and visually the environments are stunning, but nothing we haven't seen before (and better) from Pixar. Mrs Tele liked me more than me, so your mileage may vary.

Definitely it's aimed at a younger audience -- it reminded me of A BUG'S LIFE in many ways.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

So, this is minor Pixar, IMO. Good, certainly, and visually the environments are stunning, but nothing we haven't seen before (and better) from Pixar. Mrs Tele liked me more than me, so your mileage may vary.

Definitely it's aimed at a younger audience -- it reminded me of A BUG'S LIFE in many ways.

How would you rate other Pixar flicks? 

It's good according to Pixar standards or is it just an averagely good animation movie that could have been released by any other studio?

30 minutes ago, Goffe said:

How would you rate other Pixar flicks? 

It's good according to Pixar standards or is it just an averagely good animation movie that could have been released by any other studio?

I generally enjoy Pixar movies. I would put this towards the bottom of their output (though I haven't seen every Pixar movie). That doesn't make it bad -- it was entertaining -- but it felt very familiar.