AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

22 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

So according to Deadline, the budget was about $200 million (which is about the same budget of Monsters University apparently). Inside Out cost about $175 million in comparison. 

Absolutely insane how much these CG features cost nowadays

I imagine some of it was due to the production production, however the film is supposed to look amazing, so I can see why the budget would be quite expensive.

Pixar and WDAS are the top end of CG animation budgets although WDAS tends to between $150-165m compared to Pixar's $175-200m. DWA is between $135-145m but they're trying to cut their budgets by outsourcing parts to India and China, Blue Sky is $100m per film, SPA is $75-85m and Illumination is around $70-76m. A lot of the other studios keep their budgets low by outsourcing the animation or cutting corners. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treeroy said:

^ to anyone who has seen it, how does it compare to Big Hero 6?

BH6 is actually a pretty good comparison to it. Both have simple stories of the sweet and heart tugging nature, with two likable leads that create a well developed bond throughout the film. I'd say Arlo>Hiro, Baymax>Spot. I prefer TGD however, largely due to the world of the film and that stunning animation. TGD is more graceful in its narrative techniques too, whereas BH6 was a little too cliche in its execution I thought.

I guess I can see the central relationship comparison, but I really don't think one should go into this expecting a tone like Big Hero 6's

4 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I would suggest trying to see this with as old/minimal an audience as possible. I imagine screaming kids would really detract from the experience

Yeah I saw it with a screaming kid in front of me... still enjoyed it, but that was obnoxious

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

I guess I can see the central relationship comparison, but I really don't think one should go into this expecting a tone like Big Hero 6's

No, TGD doesn't have the more fun approach to action and humor of BH6. They tell similar stories though, just in a different way. 

5 hours ago, movieboner said:

Tracking above inside out? I think you have to change the title. TGD is a great family film and should perform above expectations for the Thanksgiving holidays.

Yeah, I didn't put that there. Kind of embarrassing to have it in the title now.

I really don't know what to say. I guess if it's not connecting with people this is the fate it deserves but man, there was clearly a lot of hard work that went into this and it's heartbreaking that it'll be seen as a "minor" effort.

27 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Argh. We have just seen its opening day. Some of you are toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cynical.

Well, it's even lower than Tangled. That's not good for a Pixar film.

Granted, perhaps Thanksgiving weeks are more complicated than that. Last time it landed on the 26th most of the movies had pretty good increases. But it definitely needs to get up into the double digits if it has any hope of staying in the $200 mil club.