AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

He's in the middle of directing his first studio feature for Warner Bros now titled Midnight Special, a "government chase film" sci-fi inspired by John Carpenter about a kid who develops "extraordinary power"; starring Michael Shannon, Joel Edgerton, Kirsten Dunst, Adam Driver. This sounds like it's going to be awesome and even WB is so excited they greenlit it fast.

Jeff Nichols' Midnight Special was being billed as more of a family film, and it certainly has that sounds to it. WB is releasing it on Thanksgiving week, right in time for the big openings around that Wednesday / Thursday holiday week.

In an interview he explained the origin of the idea behind this: "I want to make a 1960's biker film. I want to make a big, PG summer blockbuster family film, kind of like I want to revamp Tremors. I've got an idea for that. That kind of movie." We're looking forward to seeing this in 2015. http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/jeff-nichols-new-film-midnight-special-set-to-open-november-2015/

• Like 2

This is opening with THE MARTIAN. I know the target demo is different but what exactly is it about? BOM says it's a 'drama.' Isn't it a sci-fi film? BOM lists INTERSTELLAR as 'sci-fi adventure' and that one had a lot of drama.

I wouldn't take these classifications too seriously. For example, Frozen is generally classified as a comedy-adventure as that is what Disney tells everyone and sells the movie as, when it's actually neither. It has a fair amount of comedy, but it's not structured around this and its adventure component is minimal (originally intended to be much more of an adventure, but the story very much evolved away from this). It's really a musical-fantasy-drama, but Disney didn't want the public to know this (they wanted as much association and confusion with animated comedy-adventures such as the Ice Age series as possible), so it's not how the movie was classified. Ultimately this is far more about marketing than academic classification--sometimes a studio want these to align and at other times they pointedly do not.

By the way, of late Disney have classified all of WDAS' movies as comedy-adventures, and the same probably goes for Pixar's, too, whether it's true of the individual case or not. It's what they believe sells best with animation. To take another example, Big Hero 6 is more of a superhero action movie with family/personal drama at its core, but sure enough Disney marketers say that it's a comedy-adventure.

• Like 2

I wouldn't take these classifications too seriously. For example, Frozen is generally classified as a comedy-adventure as that is what Disney tells everyone and sells the movie as, when it's actually neither. It has a fair amount of comedy, but it's not structured around this and its adventure component is minimal (originally intended to be much more of an adventure, but the story very much evolved away from this). It's really a musical-fantasy-drama, but Disney didn't want the public to know this (they wanted as much association and confusion with animated comedy-adventures such as the Ice Age series as possible), so it's not how the movie was classified. Ultimately this is far more about marketing than academic classification--sometimes a studio want these to align and at other times they pointedly do not.

By the way, of late Disney have classified all of WDAS' movies as comedy-adventures, and the same probably goes for Pixar's, too, whether it's true of the individual case or not. It's what they believe sells best with animation. To take another example, Big Hero 6 is more of a superhero action movie with family/personal drama at its core, but sure enough Disney marketers say that it's a comedy-adventure.

So BOM just posts what these studios say? Is that what you are saying?

• Like 1

So BOM just posts what these studios say? Is that what you are saying?

From what I've seen, the vast majority of websites and reviewers simply repeat what studios tell them, regarding classification. Off the top of my head, I don't know about BOM specifically, but since they post classifications for movies that have yet to be released, they must have a source for this besides their own views. Additionally, in general we may not all individually agree with somebody else's classification of a movie anyway. To me it is something that we can discuss with some interest, but not something that should be taken as definitive.

• Like 1

Imagine if Good Dinosaur had came out BEFORE Jurassic World. GD probably would have made a ton more. :slaphead:

If Jurassic World turns out to be a big hit, then I think I can actually boost peoples interest in dinosaurs and TGD. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

If Jurassic Park turns out to be a big hit, then I think I can actually boost peoples interest in dinosaurs and TGD. 

"Timmy, we just SAW a dinosaur movie a few months ago, let's just wait to see TGD on video."

"Timmy, we already BOUGHT a ton of dinosaur toys after seeing JW, let's not buy that TGD toy."

:ph34r:

• Like 2

If kids love the film, it'll make bank on the ancillary front regardless of how many other dinosaur movies there are.

This talking point that because there's some other marginally connected film coming out in the same year means bad news for this one is just pointless flamebaiting.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

There is actually a very good chance TGD's merchandise sales will be hurt because of the delay. I remember reading this a while back.

What sort of ripple effect will Disney's decision to push back "The Good Dinosaur" 's release date have?

I'll tell you the ripple effect...the movie went from expensive to really fucking expensive.

• Like 1