AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

Just finished reading the junior novelization of this. The ending to me was not so rich or satisfying.

It generally sounded a bit plain to me, and not as deep and inventive as IO which the novel alone made me excited to see the film

But I hope the movie turns out more interesting.

Yeah, I don't think what they're going for here can really be justifiably represented in a book aimed at little kids

Though admittedly the ending felt a bit pat for me too initially. But thinking about it there's potential for a truly heartwrenching emotional component in the film itself. The ending of Nemo and Wall E would probably come across the same way in print

I will quickly comment that Disney junior novelizations debuting weeks prior to the film release is an absolute slap-in-the-face to every one on the crews of these films. They pour their lives out into a movie that tells a story their specific way with visuals, voice acting and direction... only to have the story spilled out onto the world in a totally different, unintended medium that's written as basic as possible nearly a month prior to debut for merchandise reasons.

They seriously can't just wait to release it in tandem with the film? Seriously? I think some respect is deserved for the Pixar people as much as they are appeasing JJ's heavy attempts to keep TFA spoilers to an absolute minimum prior to release. They also make Disney guys oodles of money, same with WDAS. Let their entertainment tell the story before some random ghostwriter does. Sheesh.

Edited by goldenstate5
  • Like 1

I agree with you in spirit, but there's just not a whole lot else I'm truly excited for right now so I'm pretty much lapping up whatever I can find from this. I've only skimmed it, at least, so I'm still fuzzy on the details.

I think the only other things I want to know about this before I'm truly satiated is whether or not this'll have an original song, and whether there'll be an advance screening in the Cleveland area

4 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

Just finished reading the junior novelization of this. The ending to me was not so rich or satisfying.

It generally sounded a bit plain to me, and not as deep and inventive as IO which the novel alone made me excited to see the film

But I hope the movie turns out more interesting.

THAT's it. That right here seals it for me. Remember the Shay telling you all for months this seemed really off?

Well I was right, again. Not gonna hold my breath - if I ever even see this at all.

Edited by shayhiri

I see nothing wrong with reading junior noveiizations as adults.

When I read the stories of IO, Minions and Frozen as novels, it did reveal a lot of the plot to me.

Now reading Peanuts.

My problem with TGD as a novel is that it left me with a 'that's it?' feeling that IO didn't.

But let's see how the movie works,

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, goldenstate5 said:

I will quickly comment that Disney junior novelizations debuting weeks prior to the film release is an absolute slap-in-the-face to every one on the crews of these films. They pour their lives out into a movie that tells a story their specific way with visuals, voice acting and direction... only to have the story spilled out onto the world in a totally different, unintended medium that's written as basic as possible nearly a month prior to debut for merchandise reasons.

They seriously can't just wait to release it in tandem with the film? Seriously? I think some respect is deserved for the Pixar people as much as they are appeasing JJ's heavy attempts to keep TFA spoilers to an absolute minimum prior to release. They also make Disney guys oodles of money, same with WDAS. Let their entertainment tell the story before some random ghostwriter does. Sheesh.

Agree with you in general

Although IO, Frozen and even Minions as novels gave a very good sense of the stories of these films, so I am hoping TGDs novel left out some details because it did portray the film a bit plainly.

Edited by MinaTakla

I did read the IO novel after the fact to see if there was anything cut, but they really do read as scene-by-scene descriptions of the film. There was another IO novel that I also read called "Driven by Emotions" which tells the story from the perspective of all the different emotions, and the Fear, Anger and Disgust chapters fill in the holes of Riley's life without Joy and Sadness rather nicely. (basically them causing her to act like a bitch to everyone in school for a few days, and then agonizing with the reality of running away the day she plans to do it)

Didn't know Minions had a novelization. That has to be... odd.

Regardless, I'm fine with the wait to see the film. I was listening to a Pixar podcast where one of the hosts went to the press event for TGD and said one of the clips they screened made her more emotional than any other Pixar film, and the other host happened to have seen the same clip (they refused to give any details) and agreed. So... hmmm.

It's probably the same scene that had everyone tearing up at D23. I just can't imagine I'll walk out of this film thinking it's too plain with that in it.

Actually, considering that that certain scene appears to be what establishes Spot's personal arc, the ending ought to hit really hard