Eric Atreides

Jan 11-13 Weekend Thread l Upside 19.6M, Aquaman 17.3M, Dog 11.3M, ITSV 9M. Aquaman crosses 1 BILLION DOLLARS WW. Win Gold accounts - link in first post.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Isn't acting is supposed to be an actor/actress pretending to be someone they aren't?

It is called feature film for reason, not documentary. And, if we call gay for every single gay role, that is not acting, that is just a gay being himself in front of camera.   

Except that disabled actors don't get hired to play non disabled roles so it's a one way street and roles for disabled actors are very limited.  Same with trans and until very recently out gay actors wouldn't be hired for straight roles or as leads.  And of course it's still acting, otherwise straight actors playing straight character wouldn't be acting.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

VICE will be at $35m+ after this w/e.  At worse it will do $40m domestic and could challenge for $50m domestic if it gets Oscar noms and or wins for Best Actor & Picture. 

Frankly,  that's as much or more than it would make if released any other time of the year.  The B.O. isn't the problem, the $60m budget is.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, iceni said:

Which is why I'm surprised that Destroyer is doing as well as it is, tbh...

I mean it’s not doing that great or anything (and is certain to flop when it goes wide in two weeks depending on the theater count unless Kidman picks up a surprise Oscar nomination earlier that week) but it could be doing worse. Beale Street also has been doing well enough despite them as well.

Speaking of which it just dawned on me that Kidman is in both of this weekend’s top 2 movies. Good for her even if she’s only got supporting roles in both of them lol.

19 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

VICE will be at $35m+ after this w/e.  At worse it will do $40m domestic and could challenge for $50m domestic if it gets Oscar noms and or wins for Best Actor & Picture. 

Frankly,  that's as much or more than it would make if released any other time of the year.  The B.O. isn't the problem, the $60m budget is.

^

The Oscar movies should manage some nice boosts after nominations on the 22nd since there isn’t anything of note coming out between now and the second weekend of February aside from Glass (which sounds like is going to be a one weekend hit). A Star is Born only needs to make another $10M+ to make that “over Venom” club happen, which shouldn’t be difficult since it’s not out on Blu-Ray until the week before the Oscars at the end of February.

13 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh, deadline said they still spent $10m+ in US TV spots alone for Replicas though. That’s still more than Upside. 

Where did they advertise because I think I have seen one ad for Replicas and no trailers and I see about 10 movies a month?  

5 hours ago, Webslinger said:

The Upside's breakout reminds me quite a bit of what The Bucket List did this weekend 11 years ago. Definitely the best result that could have been hoped for after the post-Weinstein release limbo it once found itself in.

I think they left money on the table by not releasing it on Christmas.   This is just the type of movie that would have played very well over the holidays.  

9 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

Where did they advertise because I think I have seen one ad for Replicas and no trailers and I see about 10 movies a month?  

I think they left money on the table by not releasing it on Christmas.   This is just the type of movie that would have played very well over the holidays.  

Yeah I haven’t seen any ads at all for Replicas. I saw the trailer online only. I can’t imagine what they spent $10 million on   

Edited by Frozen

6 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Except that disabled actors don't get hired to play non disabled roles so it's a one way street and roles for disabled actors are very limited.  Same with trans and until very recently out gay actors wouldn't be hired for straight roles or as leads.  And of course it's still acting, otherwise straight actors playing straight character wouldn't be acting.

You do realise it is much easier to ask an actor to pretend to be disabled instead of asking a disabled pretend to be non-disabled physically right? It's an matter of convenience and making sense. 

Why people have to insist a person profile to be an criteria of authentic acting? It is matter of professional.     

Just realized that Aquaman OS has earned more than TLJ OS already with the Friday numbers. With Aquaman being very strong in Asia, South America and the developing markets which is exactly where Star Wars is weak, I think Aquaman 2 can be released the same holiday season as a Star Wars movie and beat it OS while maintaining the domestic performance like a Jumanji.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1