Eric Duncan

Jan 11-13 Weekend Thread l Upside 19.6M, Aquaman 17.3M, Dog 11.3M, ITSV 9M. Aquaman crosses 1 BILLION DOLLARS WW. Win Gold accounts - link in first post.

Just now, MrPink said:

Spider-Verse should make at least another 20m in the US and probably 15m from current markets? With Japan left, 350m looks to be the o/u.

Over LEGO Batman so should be enough for Sony to continue [since LB2 is in the works at WB Animation]

Even though Poppins isn't a flop, Disney probably didn't clear out their holiday schedule for it just for Poppins to come in third domestic and below 400M WW. And unlike Solo, here the predictions from both people like us and industry analysts were way higher than the end result. It looks like it will finish behind The Greatest Showman domestic as well.

Probable reasons?

- Expectations got out of hand forgetting that the brand is more like a Robin Hood or King Arthur where people know of it than are genuinely fans of it

- Lack of a hit song. Last year I had not watched Greatest Showman but I knew at least 2 of it's songs because they got plenty of radio play and were genuine hits, with "This is me" becoming a smash. Currently none of Poppins songs have actually made it into the mainstream media

- Not overly positive reviews. After it got into the AFI top 10 and was in Best Picture conversation for a long time and those leaked reports of standing ovations at exhibitor screenings, the reviews were kind of underwhelming

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Even though Poppins isn't a flop, Disney probably didn't clear out their holiday schedule for it just for Poppins to come in third domestic and below 400M WW. And unlike Solo, here the predictions from both people like us and industry analysts were way higher than the end result. It looks like it will finish behind The Greatest Showman domestic as well.

Probable reasons?

- Expectations got out of hand forgetting that the brand is more like a Robin Hood or King Arthur where people know of it than are genuinely fans of it

- Lack of a hit song. Last year I had not watched Greatest Showman but I knew at least 2 of it's songs because they got plenty of radio play and were genuine hits, with "This is me" becoming a smash. Currently none of Poppins songs have actually made it into the mainstream media

- Not overly positive reviews. After it got into the AFI top 10 and was in Best Picture conversation for a long time and those leaked reports of standing ovations at exhibitor screenings, the reviews were kind of underwhelming

All true, but just wait until Disney puts out the next 'MPR' type film/property with prestige, and guess what people will be suckers again because they just can't help themselves.  I mean, we really had people who were expecting grand-parents to take their families to this film in droves.  I saw it written all over the place.  How delusional can people be in 2019? 

300-400 always seemed laughable and I could never understand the fascination on this board for it.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Over LEGO Batman so should be enough for Sony to continue [since LB2 is in the works at WB Animation]

350m is a solid result in the end, mostly thanks to legs kicking in the US and China's relatively big performance. I didn't have much doubt a sequel would get pushed forward as long as it did something like 250m or more.  Too much positive word of mouth to not try at least another go. Still think Sony should stay away from spinoffs however until they can cultivate this series a little more.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's already hit it with just the domestic numbers, we should get an official international update shortly within the hour. Will probably be around 1.02B to officially overtake TDK.

1 minute ago, sfran43 said:

:thinking:

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

40 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Mortal Engines barely managing a 2x multiplier despite opening during the Christmas stretch is an amazing collapse. Definitely has to be one of the if not the lowest holiday multiplier ever.

I'd say it's the first and also the second worst for all movies opening above like 6/7M.

ME: 2.09856

Aeon Flux (12/02/2005): 2.0436

33 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

step0002.jpg?1547397592536

To put it all into perspective, he achieved it with:

1.) The most mocked superhero in the world

2.) A mocked lead hero

3.) A mocked lead heroine who was also the target of misogynistic attacks by Depp stans

4.) The very first DCEU film after Justice League

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, TMP said:

As long as the spin-offs are after the sequel, I think ITSV2 will be a breakout sequel and have a strong jump provided a good release date (think 21JS to 22JS).

• Astonished 1