Eric Atreides

Jan 11-13 Weekend Thread l Upside 19.6M, Aquaman 17.3M, Dog 11.3M, ITSV 9M. Aquaman crosses 1 BILLION DOLLARS WW. Win Gold accounts - link in first post.

A big congrats as #Aquaman joins #BlackPanther in becoming only the 2nd superhero movie to gross over $1B with its 1st installment in its series. It took both Iron Man and Captain America to reach that milestone on their 3rd installments. And the 2nd for Nolan's Batman series!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Now, Shazam, please deliver, so that we have strong MCU and strong DCEU.

There is no such thing as DCEU. That was made up by some fans.

WB makes live action "Worlds of DC" movies.

7 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

To put it all into perspective, he achieved it with:

1.) The most mocked superhero in the world

2.) A mocked lead hero

3.) A mocked lead heroine who was also the target of misogynistic attacks by Depp stans

4.) The very first DCEU film after Justice League

Number 1 and number 4 are especially impressive.

That said, I LOVED the trailer when it came out back in the summer. I was shocked that some people on this board were complaining about it.

It was a good trailer that really sold the movie well.

The marketing for Aquaman didn't shift. Seems like every trailer/commercial kept the same tone, and it worked. People went into the movie expecting one thing, and they got exactly that.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Spidey legs :worthy: It's overtaking MPR soon. 

yay for Spidey's legs!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Six months ago, who would have though an Aquaman movie would make more than BvS, all GOTG and Thor movies, Spider-Man+Iron Man and... The. Dark. Knight.

:ohmygod:

To be fair, TDK is now 11 years old. Inflation matters, its domestic total would be near 700M with todays ticket prices.

Still, Aquamans performance is just great.

• Thanks 2

so #1 and #2 movie released during holiday season will be Aquaman and Spiderverse when all is said and done. Superhero fatigue is strong as ever. :lol:

@Brainbug  Also, TDK is pre-3D era movie. 3D made 1B much more common and easier to achieve. nonetheless, amazing achievement for Aquaman and especially Wan since he didn't get critical help like Taika and Patty Jenkins yet managed 1B without it and they couldn't. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

As long as the spin-offs are after the sequel, I think ITSV2 will be a breakout sequel and have a strong jump provided a good release date (think 21JS to 22JS).

The legs seem to show that more and more people are getting on board the Spider-Verse train. Assuming that trend continues on people's tv screens over the next year or two, it's not hard to foresee a big jump for the second one.

That said, Spider-Verse has been helped in large part thanks to it's incredible reviews and WOM, and thusly in large part thanks to it's incredible quality.

Perhaps we should all get our hopes down that the sequel will be anywhere near as good as this first one was. Because that's a ludicrously high standard to match.

18 minutes ago, MrPink said:

350m is a solid result in the end, mostly thanks to legs kicking in the US and China's relatively big performance. I didn't have much doubt a sequel would get pushed forward as long as it did something like 250m or more.  Too much positive word of mouth to not try at least another go. Still think Sony should stay away from spinoffs however until they can cultivate this series a little more.

I agree. A sequel would do fine, but spinoffs would work great for TV series at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

To be fair, TDK is now 11 years old. Inflation matters, its domestic total would be near 700M with todays ticket prices.

Still, Aquamans performance is just great.

TDk didn't have 290m from china, it was totally shut out by China.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

17.3 dom weekend and 27.9 current os weekend for AQM

45 more dom (332-333 total) + 55 more current os = 100

Japan could give at least 15 for 1020 + 100 + 15 = 1135 ww

(optimistically could add 5-10 more in each of dom, current os and japan for 1150-1165 total)

Edited by a2k
  • Thanks 1

Spider-verse and 9m weekend dom and 9.4m os.

25 more dom* and 20 more current os gives 302 + 25 + 20 = 347

Japan will take past 360, 4x it's reported prod budget with a heavy share from dom.

*dropped only 31% this weekend compared to say 44% for AQM and if it behaves like Django Unchained it could add as much as 30m to the current tally. Should have a great hold next weekend.

53 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Spider-Verse should make at least another 20m in the US and probably 15m from current markets? With Japan left, 350m looks to be the o/u.

Next 8 days (this Mon to MLK-Mon) itself it should add 10-11m. Should at least add 25m us/can.

After a 9.4m os weekend so 15m from current markets is very conservative.

Edited by a2k

6 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

That's a bit more than I was expecting a few weeks ago. Is there still a path for Bumblebee to hit 500?

Even if not, it's clearly done well enough to justify continuing down this new path.

It'll be interesting to hear about what TF movie they start working on next. I'd be happy with either a straight up Bumblebee sequel (it has to include Charlie though) or that animated Cybertron movie.

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Nice for Escape Room. 

Escape Room is going to finish very close to $50M. That seems like a big win in my book. We've seen some super huge horror breakouts lately, but this still qualifies as a hit.

And frankly, "only" a 51% drop seems really good for a horror movie.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, kitik said:

Escape Room is going to finish very close to $50M. That seems like a big win in my book. We've seen some super huge horror breakouts lately, but this still qualifies as a hit.

And frankly, "only" a 51% drop seems really good for a horror movie.

Yeh definitely agreed. 

Only cost $9m too