Eric Duncan

Jan 11-13 Weekend Thread l Upside 19.6M, Aquaman 17.3M, Dog 11.3M, ITSV 9M. Aquaman crosses 1 BILLION DOLLARS WW. Win Gold accounts - link in first post.

Is it wrong that I can see a slight Lego 2 breakout, not necessarily $200M but like Lego Batman numbers. There hasn’t been a big animated movie since Spidey and both Poppins and Bumblebee haven’t wowed families.

21 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

It is sign of total rejection, and they have 3 more to come in the next 6 months.  

What do you mean by this? 3 more what?

Because if this is an insinuation that MPR doing tepid box office means that Lion King isn't going to make a fortune then I'm not sure how to respond to that.

And I say this as someone who really, really wishes Lion King wasn't going to make a fortune.

1 minute ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

What do you mean by this? 3 more what?

Because if this is an insinuation that MPR doing tepid box office means that Lion King isn't going to make a fortune then I'm not sure how to respond to that.

And I say this as someone who really, really wishes Lion King wasn't going to make a fortune.

Dumbo , Aladdin, the lion king, too much of live action remake and fatigue will strike anytime.

Live-action remake isn't as resilient as superhero film.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Dumbo , Aladdin, the lion king, too much of live action remake and fatigue will strike anytime.

Live-action remake isn't as resilient as superhero film.  

I agree about the resiliency. But I'm not sure MPR goes in the bag as a "live action remake". It's a sequel, and a sequel from a film so old there wasn't really any box office format to go on. So I don't think it provides a template for the other three to that much of an extent. I think at present these remakes are going to be taken very much as their own individual beasts.

I really don't like the live action remakes, but I think realistically if something as horrendously made as BATB made a huge amount, it pretty much establishes a floor for the Lion King, which is an even more beloved movie from the same time period. I can't honestly see TLK not ending up in the highest 20 grossers of all time, and probably top 10. I wish that weren't the case, but I just can't see any other eventuality.  

Aladdin I think could go in a lot of different directions. It's certainly the one that might actively receive the strongest backlash, and might legit flop.

Dumbo I think is something of a different kettle of fish. It's going to be less close to the original than the above two and time means that there's much less of a nostalgia factor. I think this will be one where the reviews and immediate reception will actually make a difference. 

7 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Aladdin I think could go in a lot of different directions. It's certainly the one that might actively receive the strongest backlash, and might legit flop.

I am curious why you think that? It’s actually the only one out of the three mentioned that I want to watch.

32 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Is it wrong that I can see a slight Lego 2 breakout, not necessarily $200M but like Lego Batman numbers. There hasn’t been a big animated movie since Spidey and both Poppins and Bumblebee haven’t wowed families.

Don't get my hopes up for another great movie in the LEGO verse that disappoints. I remember thinking $300m dom was in the cards for LEGO Batman... and, uhhh..