Eric Atreides

Jan 11-13 Weekend Thread l Upside 19.6M, Aquaman 17.3M, Dog 11.3M, ITSV 9M. Aquaman crosses 1 BILLION DOLLARS WW. Win Gold accounts - link in first post.

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Kinda bummed no one is talking about The Upside. That’s one hell of an overperformance, especially for a remake of a movie that made barely 10M domestic total.

Who is handing OS distribution?

That's because people constantly under predict Kevin Hart and his drawing power. This movie is about to do the numbers people talk greenbook what do. And with the word of mouth is getting it wouldn't surprise me if it do anywhere between 80 to 100 million domestically. Was even more fantastic is that this movie is outside with the box of the normal Kevin Hart films and it's still doing great.

• Like 1

2010 was the first time there was more than one movie grossing 1b ww

2010 2 (Disney, Disney)

2011 3 (WB, Paramount, Disney)

2012 4 (Disney, Sony, WB, WB)

2013 2 (Disney, Disney)

2014 1 (Paramount)

2015 5 (Disney, Universal, Universal, BV, Universal)

2016 4 (Disney, Disney, Disney, Disney)

2017 4 (Disney, Disney, Universal, Universal)

2018 5 (Disney, Disney, Universal, Disney, WB)

6 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

That's because people constantly under predict Kevin Hart and his drawing power. This movie is about to do the numbers people talk greenbook what do. And with the word of mouth is getting it wouldn't surprise me if it do anywhere between 80 to 100 million domestically. Was even more fantastic is that this movie is outside with the box of the normal Kevin Hart films and it's still doing great.

Wouldn’t go as far as 80M but 60M is definitely possible with Glass not sucking all the air out of the room anymore.

23 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I am happy for AQM though, nice way to end the year. Still find it ironic that it and MPR switched when compared to the pre-season expectations. 

Hopefully I like it once I get to see it. 

Not sure they switched...I mean, a month or two out (when MPR's expectations started really growing), were people really serious about Aquaman going sub-$200M, which is where MPR is almost certain to go now?  If so, I guess they were as nutty as the "way overestimaters" for MPR were...

The Upside's breakout reminds me quite a bit of what The Bucket List did this weekend 11 years ago. Definitely the best result that could have been hoped for after the post-Weinstein release limbo it once found itself in.

28 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Kinda bummed no one is talking about The Upside. That’s one hell of an overperformance, especially for a remake of a movie that made barely 10M domestic total.

It was made two years ago by Weinstein (and even premiered at TIFF that fall) and appeared like it was never going to be released for a while which makes the numbers even more impressive. Such is the drawing power of Kevin Hart even after the hot water he’s found himself in.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I think it’s local distributors, it likely won’t make much of a dent OS 

6 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

As a Disabled wheelchair user, I absolutely hate the Upside, The only time society talks about us is when it's a heartwarming film.

And the roles always go to actors who aren’t disabled and looking for awards. Same with gay roles. 

• Like 1

The Upside had everything going against it: unnecessary remake of an international hit, the Weinstein scandal, spent 1 year in limbo, the Kevin Hart controversy, and negative reviews. This is why studios shouldn't give up on movie they believe can be crowd-pleasers.