Eric Atreides

Jan 11-13 Weekend Thread l Upside 19.6M, Aquaman 17.3M, Dog 11.3M, ITSV 9M. Aquaman crosses 1 BILLION DOLLARS WW. Win Gold accounts - link in first post.

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The Upside had everything going against it: unnecessary remake of an international hit, the Weinstein scandal, spent 1 year in limbo, the Kevin Hart controversy, and negative reviews. This is why studios shouldn't give up on movie they believe can be crowd-pleasers. 

Green Book had a lot going against it too, and was even written by an Islamophobic Trump fanboy and directed by a flasher, but that's inexplicably winning awards left and right due to its "feel good" appeal  

Just now, Napoleon said:

The Upside had everything going against it: unnecessary remake of an international hit, the Weinstein scandal, spent 1 year in limbo, the Kevin Hart controversy, and negative reviews. This is why studios shouldn't give up on movie they believe can be crowd-pleasers. 

The original was a proven crowd pleaser (being an international hit) and was relatively unknown in the US (being a foreign-language film).  These two facts actually help The Upside's box office success.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Green Book had a lot going against it too, and was even written by an Islamophobic Trump fanboy and directed by a flasher, but that's inexplicably winning awards left and right due to its "feel good" appeal  

Those were made public long after the film's release.  And Green Book's box office run has not been very impressive so far, despite winning awards and being backed by a major studio.

A Star is Born passes Solo worldwide. Who would have though that a year ago?

1 Avengers: Infinity War BV $2,048.7 $678.8 33.1% $1,369.9 66.9%
2 Black Panther BV $1,346.9 $700.1 52.0% $646.9 48.0%
3 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Uni. $1,309.5 $417.7 31.9% $891.8 68.1%
4 Incredibles 2 BV $1,242.7 $608.6 49.0% $634.1 51.0%
5 Aquaman WB $988.6 $275.2 27.8% $713.4 72.2%
6 Venom (2018) Sony $855.7 $213.4 24.9% $642.2 75.1%
7 Mission: Impossible - Fallout Par. $791.1 $220.2 27.8% $571.0 72.2%
8 Bohemian Rhapsody Fox $749.6 $196.2 26.2% $553.4 73.8%
9 Deadpool 2 Fox $737.6 $318.5 43.2% $419.1 56.8%
10 Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald WB $644.6 $158.2 24.5% $486.4 75.5%
11 Ant-Man and the Wasp BV $622.7 $216.6 34.8% $406.0 65.2%
12 Ready Player One WB $582.9 $137.7 23.6% $445.2 76.4%
13 Operation Red Sea WGUSA $579.2 $1.5 0.3% $577.7 99.7%
14 Detective Chinatown 2 WB $544.1 $2.0 0.4% $542.1 99.6%
15 The Meg WB $530.2 $145.4 27.4% $384.8 72.6%
16 Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation Sony $527.3 $167.5 31.8% $359.8 68.2%
17 Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (2018) Uni. $500.6 $269.8 53.9% $230.7 46.1%
18 Rampage (2018) WB (NL) $428.0 $101.0 23.6% $327.0 76.4%
19 Ralph Breaks the Internet BV $406.5 $188.6 46.4% $217.9 53.6%
20 A Star is Born (2018) WB $400.1 $202.8 50.7% $197.3 49.3%
21 Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again Uni. $394.7 $120.6 30.6% $274.1 69.4%
22 Solo: A Star Wars Story BV $392.9 $213.8 54.4% $179.2 45.6%

40 minutes ago, Frozen said:

And the roles always go to actors who aren’t disabled and looking for awards. Same with gay roles. 

Isn't acting is supposed to be an actor/actress pretending to be someone they aren't?

It is called feature film for reason, not documentary. And, if we call gay for every single gay role, that is not acting, that is just a gay being himself in front of camera.   

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Isn't acting is supposed to be an actor/actress pretending to be someone they aren't?

It is called feature film for reason, not documentary. And, if we call gay for every single gay role, that is not acting, that is just a gay being himself in front of camera.   

Well, in general no two persons are the same (or each individual is unique). So a gay actor in a gay role is not the same as "being himself in front of camera".  But I see that a character that is gay or disabled could be made more convincing if played by actors who share a similar life experience and who are able to add sophistication and layers to the character.

Edited by Neucentro

5 minutes ago, Neucentro said:

Well, in general no two persons are the same (or each individual is unique). So a gay actor in a gay role is not the same as "being himself in front of camera".  But I see that a character that is gay or disabled could be made more convincing if played by actors who share a similar life experience and who is able to add sophistication and layers to the character.

A skillful committed actor or actress can intimate equally same convincing performance, I never doubt having a real life experience could be an advantage in acting but acting is a professional, there are many technical details which even disabled will not be able to tell if they aren't professional. 

And if going by that logic, shouldn't the filmmaker actually looking for a actual criminal or psychopath for a antagonist role?       

• Like 1

@TwoMisfits one of BO.coms predictions had AQM under 200m obviously that increased as the release date got closer and especially after the China opening but their original ones and then final ones all ended up switched. 

Now here there was a more even spread. Even I didnt see AQM under 200m as it made no sense relative to the calendar, and why I thought Poppins would have been bigger. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoLegMan said:

As a Disabled wheelchair user, I absolutely hate the Upside, The only time society talks about us is when it's a heartwarming film.

I don't think that is the fault of the Upside itself, but rather a failing of our society. It's really unfortunate yes. But shouldn't a movie promoting happiness and someone once again learning to live a full life even after tragedy be seen as a good thing? 

At this point, maybe Disney shouldn't have sacrificed Solo for Poppins. Solo's gonna end up around 30M higher domestically, and I'd argue that 50-60M could have been added had it been released in December. 

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

A skillful committed actor or actress can intimate equally same convincing performance, I never doubt having a real life experience could be an advantage in acting but acting is a professional, there are many technical details which even disabled will not be able to tell if they aren't professional. 

I believe there are professional actors who are disabled.

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

At this point, maybe Disney shouldn't have sacrificed Solo for Poppins. Solo's gonna end up around 30M higher domestically, and I'd argue that 50-60M could have been added had it been released in December. 

I don't think Solo would've done much in December... Probably would've opened less and make around the same domestically... Overseas was always gonna be a disaster. 

• Like 2

Also, even if MPR behaved the same way, the opening day just killed its high gross long term. Same rises and falls with the original 7.5/8m OD put the gross to date at approx 240m. 

Even just 1m more on OD (5.7 versus 4.7) gives it 175m through today. So while it recovered, the opening day still hurt the final total mightily. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr Impossible said:

I don't think Solo would've done much in December... Probably would've opened less and make around the same domestically... Overseas was always gonna be a disaster. 

Yeah, the only thing that might have changed was a little less fatigue and distance from the TLJ disaster but I find it hard to see much more than 240-ish with the holidays. 

Although with a SW on the Schedule, maybe Paramount wouldnt have been so stubborn with Bumblebee and the spread may have been helped. 

I think we arent giving enough credit to the fact that there was a total overload of options this year. 

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

And if going by that logic, shouldn't the filmmaker actually looking for a actual criminal or psychopath for a antagonist role?       

A casting director would balance out the pros and cons. They would likely consider the negative publicity, the lack of work ethics and the unstable nature of the psychopath, and say no.

20 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yeah, the only thing that might have changed was a little less fatigue and distance from the TLJ disaster but I find it hard to see much more than 240-ish with the holidays. 

Although with a SW on the Schedule, maybe Paramount wouldnt have been so stubborn with Bumblebee and the spread may have been helped. 

I think we arent giving enough credit to the fact that there was a total overload of options this year. 

Yep. As soon as it was clear there wouldn't be a Star Wars movie in December, studios just pounced! Problem is too many pounced, I think.