Eric Atreides

Jan 11-13 Weekend Thread l Upside 19.6M, Aquaman 17.3M, Dog 11.3M, ITSV 9M. Aquaman crosses 1 BILLION DOLLARS WW. Win Gold accounts - link in first post.

3 hours ago, Frozen said:

Lionsgate is laying off employees and has also ended their partnership with CodeBlack. 

What does Lionsgate even have going for them nowadays besides John Wick and Madea? 

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

36 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

What does Lionsgate even have going for them nowadays besides John Wick and Madea? 

They have several high-profile releases ahead: Hellboy, Flarsky, Midway, Knives Out and Chaos Walking.  But with the reorganization, I think Lionsgate is slowly moving away from theatrical distribution and to streaming and TV.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

You do realise it is much easier to ask an actor to pretend to be disabled instead of asking a disabled pretend to be non-disabled physically right? It's an matter of convenience and making sense. 

Why people have to insist a person profile to be an criteria of authentic acting? It is matter of professional.     

Then wouldn't it make sense then that for roles disabled actors could play, that they'd get precedence? Like you literally just made the argument for why non-disabled actors shouldn't be playing disabled parts.

12 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Then wouldn't it make sense then that for roles disabled actors could play, that they'd get precedence? Like you literally just made the argument for why non-disabled actors shouldn't be playing disabled parts.

There was no value judgement in my argument, nothing about should or shouldn't, 

My stand is always the acting skill come first for the criteria.

If a mute or deaf can play Freddie mercury convincingly through lip sync, why not? Hiring a disabled for a disabled role doesn't mean the acting will become better by default and no one should be discarded by default too because she or he playing something that he/she is not in real life.   

Looking for a disabled to play a disabled role, how sure you are that is not a form of humiliation or discrimination to the community? 

if we discard a person just simply because of he/she is not disabled in real life , you can never expect a disabled actor/actress to come out and shine in a non-disabled role. 

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

You do realise it is much easier to ask an actor to pretend to be disabled instead of asking a disabled pretend to be non-disabled physically right? It's an matter of convenience and making sense. 

Why people have to insist a person profile to be an criteria of authentic acting? It is matter of professional.     

U know what's easier than abled actors pretending to be disabled? Actually hiring a disabled actor. Saves u all the efforts on prosthetics SFX. 

57 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

There was no value judgement in my argument, nothing about should or shouldn't, 

My stand is always the acting skill come first for the criteria.

If a mute or deaf can play Freddie mercury convincingly through lip sync, why not? Hiring a disabled for a disabled role doesn't mean the acting will become better by default and no one should be discarded by default too because she or he playing something that he/she is not in real life.   

Looking for a disabled to play a disabled role, how sure you are that is not a form of humiliation or discrimination to the community? 

if we discard a person just simply because of he/she is not disabled in real life , you can never expect a disabled actor/actress to come out and shine in a non-disabled role. 

What kind of misguided argument is this? Hollywood is never about meritocracy & everyone who uses this forum should know it. The problem we have now is not that disabled actors can't play abled characters, but they have no roles at all.

4 minutes ago, Hejira said:

What kind of misguided argument is this? Hollywood is never about meritocracy & everyone who uses this forum should know it. The problem we have now is not that disabled actors can't play abled characters, but they have no roles at all.

941157022_millicent-simmonds-e1523547390

A quiet place

MarleeMatlin.jpg

Children of the lesser God

The list go on....and on.

Indeed, hollywood is never about meritocracy, but that shouldn't be the excuse of why we should stop aspire to be.

Keep hiring a disabled actor in the name of representation doesn't help. The pace must be supported by commercial mean. People be like criticize for lack of representation of disabled in film industry but they never really care. They are just simply criticise it so that they looked better and have a higher ground of morality ..

Hiring a disabled actor involve logistic issue, money(how to convince studio hiring a disabled make money) and of course general public appealing, the proper training for disabled  actor/actress and the director and crew that know how to cooperate with disabled. Yet, people assume all those micro-level problem will get solved instantly if we shouted loud enough.    

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

941157022_millicent-simmonds-e1523547390

A quiet place

MarleeMatlin.jpg

Children of the lesser God

The list go on....and on.

Indeed, hollywood is never about meritocracy, but that shouldn't be the excuse of why we should stop aspire to be.

Keep hiring a disabled actor in the name of representation doesn't help. The pace must be supported by commercial mean. People be like criticize for lack of representation of disabled in film industry but they never really care. They are just simply criticise it so that they looked better and have a higher ground of morality ..

Hiring a disabled actor involve logistic issue, money(how to convince studio hiring a disabled make money) and of course general public appealing, the proper training for disabled  actor/actress and the director and crew that know how to cooperate with disabled. Yet, people assume all those micro-level problem will get solved instantly if we shouted loud enough.    

Two names... where is the list?

& can you tell me why Marlee Matlin failed to have a career like her fellow 80s Oscar Best Actress Winners Jodie Foster or Sally Field? Is it because she's an inferior actress?

Besides, "shout loud enough" is exactly what's needed as the first step to solve problems, micro or otherwise. It's been working for #MeToo and has worked for #OscarSoWhite.  I don't think that sit back and watch while saying "it's all about the performance" contributes to any good. As far as I'm aware of, no critics has said "Bryan Cranston gives an amazing performance in The Upside", yet somehow he still got the damn job.

Edited by Hejira

5 minutes ago, Hejira said:

Two names... where is the list?

& can you tell me why Marlee Matlin failed to have a career like her fellow 80s Oscar Best Actress Winners Jodie Foster or Sally Field? Is it because she's an inferior actress?

Besides, "shout loud enough" is exactly what's needed as the first step to solve problems, micro or otherwise. It's been working for #MeToo and has worked for #OscarSoWhite.  I don't think that sit back and watch while saying "it's all about the performance" contributes to any good. As far as I'm aware of, no critics has said "Bryan Cranston gives an amazing performance in The Upside", yet somehow he still got the damn job.

Try google it dude. There are many downfall after wining the best actress for any number of reason, not she alone. 

And, Moonlight , hidden figure, and many more earned their Oscar nomination or win. It is the crew on the ground, who forged the fortune of colour people. They build it brick by brick, just for #OscarSoWhite to take the credit?   

In the case of moonlight, i hate people said that movie won because of #OscarSoWhite as if the film are bad, and their haters always use that to attack the film. 

I don't think sit back and watch while saying it's all about the performance helps but neither shout out loud helps. It is the crew, stylist, agent and activist that doing all the ground work to expand the market of disabled actor or actress and solving each obstacles. 

And last, I have no intention to defend Bryan in the Upside, I don't know was that a good performance because I didn't even seen the film but I just dislike how people discard an actor/actress simply because he/she playing a role that doesn't fit their real life.  

1 hour ago, AHepBurn said:

So over the course of MPR's release we've gone from

"$400mil locked!"

to

"Greatest Showman legs!"

to

"$200mil was Disney's target all along!

Where are we at now? Have we finally reached blessed acceptance?

So, does that mean we think MPR is actually reaching $200M?

I haven't been checking the numbers. Based on Friday's numbers, does Kevin Hart's The Upside have a chance of dethroning Aquaman this weekend? I hope not. Also, kudos to WB, DC, James Wan, Jason Momoa, Amber Heard, and company for making Aquaman as good as it is and subsequently assuring that it would become the first entry in the DCEU to earn $1 billion! 

2 hours ago, BluRayHiDef said:

I haven't been checking the numbers. Based on Friday's numbers, does Kevin Hart's The Upside have a chance of dethroning Aquaman this weekend? I hope not. Also, kudos to WB, DC, James Wan, Jason Momoa, Amber Heard, and company for making Aquaman as good as it is and subsequently assuring that it would become the first entry in the DCEU to earn $1 billion! 

I'd say it has.

AQM: 

4.56M (+127.7%)

8.6M (+88.6%)

5.5M (-36%)

The Upside:

6.95M

7.5M (+7.9%/+28.2%)

4.5M (-40%)

18.95M

Both are probably a little optimistic on Saturday (AQM more so than the Upside)

But I could see something like this happening.

Edited by Taruseth

9 hours ago, grim22 said:

Just realized that Aquaman OS has earned more than TLJ OS already with the Friday numbers. With Aquaman being very strong in Asia, South America and the developing markets which is exactly where Star Wars is weak, I think Aquaman 2 can be released the same holiday season as a Star Wars movie and beat it OS while maintaining the domestic performance like a Jumanji.

Yes, this is a terrible handicap on SW part and it's typical for all new movies, both Saga and spin-offs. I doubt that they'll attract those markets with D&D and Rian Johnson movies. It seems that the concept isn't appealing even when it tries to move away from space opera (RO was space war, Solo a space adventure and we know that some space movies do well there, like Avatar and IW). 

On 1/11/2019 at 3:44 PM, Pinacolada said:

Replicas is about to be a huge L for Entertainment Studios. Only 47 Meters Down and Hostiles have remotely worked for them.

Pretty good for The Upside though it's over budget. Happy for Bryan Cranston but this should not have been $35m budgeted movie. Should do fine though

Hostiles did not "work for them" in the slightest. It has a $50,000,000 production budget and probably was not acquired for significantly less. They have not been performing that well as distributors.