Eric Atreides

Jan 11-13 Weekend Thread l Upside 19.6M, Aquaman 17.3M, Dog 11.3M, ITSV 9M. Aquaman crosses 1 BILLION DOLLARS WW. Win Gold accounts - link in first post.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Could see Basis of Sex legging it to $40-45m dom tbh

yep so dumb move on studio part to have given it awards qualifying run in 2018. could have been an awards vehicle for Felicity in 2019. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

yep so dumb move on studio part to have given it awards qualifying run in 2018. could have been an awards vehicle for Felicity in 2019. 

With all the Kavanaugh/Supreme Court stuff still being in everyone's head, on top of the RBG doc and her recent injury being very publicized, now was probably the best time to release it tbh

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

With all the Kavanaugh/Supreme Court stuff still being in everyone's head, on top of the RBG doc and her recent injury being very publicized, now was probably the best time to release it tbh

Oh for sure boxoffice-wise. sucks for the actress awards chances, though, but then boxoffice success will land her more work so that balances out. :)

Focus had a very good 2018 between BlacKkKlansman, the Mr. Rogers documentary, and On the Basis of Sex. Mary Queen of Scots also did better than expected as well.

The Favourite is looking at $30-35M at best even with Oscar noms, which is still pretty good for a somewhat weird period piece.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/kevin-hart-the-upside-aquaman-keanu-reeves-replicas-dogs-way-home-weekend-box-office-1202533526/

STX’s distribution of Lantern Entertainment’s Upside is unexpectedly beating Warner Bros/DC’s Aquaman at this point in time, which is looking at an estimated fourth weekend of $17M, -45% for a running domestic total of $287.6M.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Focus had a very good 2018 between BlacKkKlansman, the Mr. Rogers documentary, and On the Basis of Sex. Mary Queen of Scots also did better than expected as well.

The Favourite is looking at $30-35M at best even with Oscar noms, which is still pretty good for a somewhat weird period piece.

Ah, Focus explains how Margot got traction with SAG and BAFTA. they are excellent at campaigning.

Just now, filmlover said:

I hope they re-release BlackKklansman if the movie went on for Oscar nomination, the movie initial run was too short, only 9 weeks, should get past 50m if they push

The thing that makes the Hart's tweets issue difficult is that they weren't "anti-PC" or "Pre-woke" in the least. Nor were they attempted humour gone awkward. They were just mean spirited pieces of nastiness, that at the very least *appear* to be simply authentically held pieces of unpleasant personal belief.

But everyone is capable of nastiness, and the unpleasant personal belief is one that lots of people apparently have, so it isn't something that will significantly impact my own perspective of his career. But implying that people who are genuinely changed in their opinions of Hart are being oversensitive in this case........mmmm nah, I kinda get it. 

The Upside looks like a decent film and it seems to be a good collection of personalities on screen. I'm probably going to check it out before I do Stan/Laurel, OTBOS and other movies that open this week in the UK.  

• Like 2

Just now, titanic2187 said:

I hope they re-release BlackKklansman if the movie went on for Oscar nomination, the movie initial run was too short, only 9 weeks, should get past 50m if they push

It’s been available to watch at home for a while so the only re-release it’ll get is part of those Best Picture marathons the week before the Oscars.

• Sad 1