Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

On 1/22/2022 at 6:31 AM, lorddemaxus said:

We're getting movies in the same franchise released 6 weeks after they release, but releasing a new Tom Cruise 6 weeks after his previous movie finishes its run (not even 6 weeks after release) is going to somehow make MI7 less of an event or harder to market?

With the attention span people have today, Top Gun 2 would've been old news by the time MI7 releases.

I don't think you get what I am talking about, and that is the worldwide promotion that these films require and that Tom Cruise puts into them.  

If this schedule would have stuck, he would have been out all across the globe promoting Top Gun: Maverick into June, and then he would have had to immediately switch to promoting MI:7 globally all the way from mid-summer into nearly October.  

That makes no sense for him or the studio and gives him limited time to film MI:8 and the other projects he is active on.  Better to just divide him up for promotion of Top Gun in 2022, MI:7 in 2023 and MI:8 in 2024.  

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

Production budget is 290 Million

Perhaps the big takeaway is this:

The plan is for the seventh and eighth films to serve as a sendoff for Cruise’s Ethan Hunt character — a “culmination” of the entire series, as one insider described it — which has also upped the pressure on the star and McQuarrie to deliver a slam-bang farewell to the super spy. The two films were originally scheduled to shoot concurrently, but that plan was abandoned. The eighth film is about to go into production in South Africa.

Opening themselves up to speculation that...

Spoiler

...they're going the No Time to Die route and killing off Ethan Hunt in no uncertain terms.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Perhaps the big takeaway is this:

Opening themselves up to speculation that...

Hide contents

...they're going the No Time to Die route and killing off Ethan Hunt in no uncertain terms.

I've a feeling they will write Cruise out and he will become the new head of the IMF. He will only oversee missions in future movies but not actually go on them, or only be there in the climax. It will be a new team which will be the actual IMF.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I've a feeling they will write Cruise out and he will become the new head of the IMF. He will only oversee missions in future movies but not actually go on them, or only be there in the climax. It will be a new team which will be the actual IMF.

Some version of this is more likely, I think.  I don't see Cruise repeating so soon what No Time To Die just did so well for an iconic franchise character.  

No surprise the budget is that high with all the COVID delays and location shoots. They starting filming right at the beginning of COVID in Italy of all places and when it restarted they were shooting on and off lasted for over a year. A lot of money to keep the crew necessary paid and on the production. 8 should cost less for the simple reason of no delays, but they will spend whatever money it takes to get these finished, especially if this is the end for Cruise in the franchise.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/tom-cruise-mission-impossible-paramount-1235116830/

no wonder McQuarrie is all but gone from social media too , this sounds bad , Paramount can't lose Tom

This article is a hell of a ride from start to finish. Also explains by this tweet doesn't say 45 days

On 2/15/2022 at 2:32 PM, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

49 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/tom-cruise-mission-impossible-paramount-1235116830/

no wonder McQuarrie is all but gone from social media too , this sounds bad , Paramount can't lose Tom

Incredible stuff. The Cruise Missile gets what it wants.

I do think it's funny that the same people on film twitter who complain about movies not doing practical effects anymore are usually the exact same people who look at this and complain that MI and No Time To Die, cost too much money.

You don't get effects and locations on the scale of these films, without throwing down some serious cash. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TerwillikerInst said:

I do think it's funny that the same people on film twitter who complain about movies not doing practical effects anymore are usually the exact same people who look at this and complain that MI and No Time To Die, cost too much money.

You don't get effects and locations on the scale of these films, without throwing down some serious cash. 

do they complain ? they provide lots of jobs, now MI may need more tie-ins with marketing to cover costs, proven franchises can have these high costs , this isn't John Carter

I hope Paramount did not make the mistake they made with MI3 and gave such a good deal to Cruise that he ended up making a fortune from the film and Paramount just made minor profits from the film for the huge investment they put in it.

I think this might be Cruise's last appreance as Ethan Hunt. It's the age factor. They might be wise to retire Hunt rather then kill him off, though.