Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

In busy shops it's impossible to keep 2 metres apart, especially when you are all trying to grab the same things 

They could politely ask me to move or wait for me to be done. I’ve lost count of how many times someone has been practically breathing down my neck because they aren’t patient enough to wait 2 seconds for me to move.

I'm with Tom. He's the producer. He's the star. He's the ONLY reason those people had this particular job. Without Tom, there are no M:I films. And I feel for Tom when he says he feels like the weight of the industry is on his shoulders. I understand where he's coming from.

Tom's still got some Les f'n Grossman in him.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I'm with Tom. He's the producer. He's the star. He's the ONLY reason those people had this particular job. Without Tom, there are no M:I films. And I feel for Tom when he says he feels like the weight of the industry is on his shoulders. I understand where he's coming from.

Tom's still got some Les f'n Grossman in him.

Tom cruise has had a lot of hate over the years that it's nice to see some still sticking up for him 

17 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Going to okay devil's advocate, but what if Johnny Depp had the exact same rant? Would the media and you all be just as supportive?

Johnny Depp has had a tonne of support, he also isn't as involved in his movies as Cruise is. Its a strange comparison 

4 hours ago, Chicago said:

Tom cruise has had a lot of hate over the years that it's nice to see some still sticking up for him 

I think TOm has a point here, but no way am I going to stuck up for that stupid, dangerous cult he belongs to.

• Like 1

I think this is a case where people should put aside their preconceived views of Tom Cruise and evaluate the rant and the intent behind it on their own merit. Doing that, it is very easy to see he's got a point. This wasn't Tom Cruise the actor ranting, it was Tom Cruise the producer. His concern isn't artistic integrity, it is the safety of everyone working on set.

A COVID outbreak among the cast and crew could easily shut down production, and that would have dire consequences beyond this one film. Maybe his tone and word choice weren't the best, but given the gravity of the situation I'm perfectly fine with it. This is a very serious matter. He was livid. I assume this isn't the first time he's said something, either. 

Finally, comparing this rant to Christian Bale's is absurd, I think. One of those people was only concerned about himself. The other is concerned about a great many people.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I've googled scientology numerous times over the years and still don't understand their cult

Total nonsense is hard to understand.

But the real problem with the CO$ is not their loony tune beliefs, but the way they have persecuted anybody daring to criticise them, and the way they exploit their members. See the Documentary or read the book "Going Clear" for details.

• Thanks 1

looking at this from my point of view of someone who haven't work since March because of covid i will gladly follow any rules and precautions and work with a smile on my face but that is just me. And of course i get to work on a movie set and witness mission impossible 7 being made would have been great. These rules will not be the new normal with vaccines coming out soon hopefully everything goes back to normal soon

Edited by Ny jets fan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chicago said:

Maybe we were wrong and Tom was being unreasonable. We don't even have 2 sides to the story, just a rant to go on. If 5 people quit then maybe Tom was just letting the power get to his head and people were sick of it. 

I wonder how old the crew members were?

I was called a death monger on here back in February for warning posters here about what was about to happen to America, the world, and this industry. Some users here wanted to insult me.

I stand with Tom on this subject. Sure, he's no saint. He's got some crazy beliefs. Oprah's couch still hasn't recovered from his jumping. But as it pertains to COVID, Tom's 100% in the right. Either take the virus seriously, or GTFO.

If 5 people quit because they don't want to take the necessary steps to keep the production running smoothly, then that's 5 less weights dragging down everyone else. 5 replaceable weights.

If trying to enforce a healthy film set on the largest currently active film production in the middle of the worst medical crisis in a century is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Tom Cruise is the producer. This film, this franchise, is his baby. All Tom wants is the people he employs to follow health and safety protocols.

I don't remember Tom launching into a tantrum, blaming everyone around him when production on Fallout shut down for 2 months because Tom injured himself during a stunt.

I don't remember Tom yelling at people when production paused on Rogue Nation so that he and McQuarrie could rewrite the finale.

If there are two sides to this story, the sides are people who are following health protocols, and people who aren't. IMO, there's only one side that deserves respect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/17/2020 at 4:04 AM, Chicago said:

Maybe we were wrong and Tom was being unreasonable. We don't even have 2 sides to the story, just a rant to go on. If 5 people quit then maybe Tom was just letting the power get to his head and people were sick of it. 

If this was any other crew it would be worth entertaining Tom being unreasonable but this is a UK crew they are notorious for being PITA especially to American producers and directors.   Also, Cruise has the opposite reputation and is in general seen as a fairly easy guy to work with.  

• Like 2

On 12/17/2020 at 4:04 AM, Chicago said:

I have no direct knowledge and am just guessing based on my own experiences, but I'm assuming the UK has a nontrivial number of anti-maskers in their populace. That's the way it is here in the US. For various reasons, it is just not possible to get 100% mask compliance. If that's what Tom Cruise was facing then it would explain why the rant was made public and also why those individuals quit.

This isn't an issue where there are 2 sides. People wear masks as instructed or they don't because... reasons.

12 hours ago, doublejack said:

I have no direct knowledge and am just guessing based on my own experiences, but I'm assuming the UK has a nontrivial number of anti-maskers in their populace. That's the way it is here in the US. For various reasons, it is just not possible to get 100% mask compliance. If that's what Tom Cruise was facing then it would explain why the rant was made public and also why those individuals quit.

This isn't an issue where there are 2 sides. People wear masks as instructed or they don't because... reasons.

Quite honestly there aren't as many anti maskers as you'd expect. It may be ancedotal evidence but in 9 months I'm yet to witness any person refuse to wear one inside public areas, anti-maskers are just a small but loud crowd here.

From what I read in the article people on their computers had been breaking the 2 metre distance rules which I could honestly imagine being difficult to adhere to 24/7 when you are trying to show imagery on your screen to your workers. If the crew are all isolating on a yacht, why the need for social distancing?  

13 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

It’s the Daily Mail...so in “real news” speak it probably translates to something far less sensational like “Mission Impossible 7 currently filming on former military base” but they’ve added made up spin to make it sound like Cruise has gone power mad. 

• Like 3