Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

It would be great it it did not feel like people were dancing on the grave of this movie before it even came out. The best ongoing action franchise and it feels like people want it to fail for some odd reason. 

We're just predicting numbers. I don't think anyone is gonna be happy if it flops

15 minutes ago, Maggie said:

We're just predicting numbers. I don't think anyone is gonna be happy if it flops

Since you seem to think Paramount has botched the release and marketing of this if you were them what would you have done? Of course if we believe the rumors Cruise is not happy with Par either. 

We have a new book published here by Hiroo Otaka (大高宏雄)

"Do American Movies Have a Future?" (アメリカ映画に明日はあるか)

Mark Schilling did the translation from all references taken from the book - you can read the full article in English - https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2023/06/23/films/hollywood-films-decline-japan/

Only quoting about Tom Cruise here - 

"One exception to this trend (talking about Hollywood Decline) is the aforementioned Cruise (“He’s been a symbol of America here for more than 20 years since the first ‘Mission: Impossible’ movie”). In today’s Hollywood, however, a star with Cruise’s sort of worldwide popularity has become increasingly rare."

91-Ty-Xxv-Hp-HL-AC-UF1000-1000-QL80-FMwe

Book Visuals seems to be inspired from Tom Cruise's "Top Gun: Maverick

Just a reminder, Tom Cruise's "Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One" releases on July 21 & expected to be the Biggest Film among Summer Tentpoles next only to Illumination's "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" (Ken's "Barbie" isn't expected to big here &Nolan's "Oppenheimer" doesn't have a date)

15 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

We have a new book published here by Hiroo Otaka (大高宏雄)

"Do American Movies Have a Future?" (アメリカ映画に明日はあるか)

Mark Schilling did the translation from all references taken from the book - you can read the full article in English - https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2023/06/23/films/hollywood-films-decline-japan/

Only quoting about Tom Cruise here - 

"One exception to this trend (talking about Hollywood Decline) is the aforementioned Cruise (“He’s been a symbol of America here for more than 20 years since the first ‘Mission: Impossible’ movie”). In today’s Hollywood, however, a star with Cruise’s sort of worldwide popularity has become increasingly rare."

91-Ty-Xxv-Hp-HL-AC-UF1000-1000-QL80-FMwe

Book Visuals seems to be inspired from Tom Cruise's "Top Gun: Maverick

Just a reminder, Tom Cruise's "Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One" releases on July 21 & expected to be the Biggest Film among Summer Tentpoles next only to Illumination's "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" (Ken's "Barbie" isn't expected to big here &Nolan's "Oppenheimer" doesn't have a date)

with things like Fast X, TF7, Flash, I would say Hollywood barely have a future in US.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Maggie said:

I hate to say TOLDJA, but i saw this coming. MI has a ceiling and that coupled with Oppy/Barbie stealing the buzz, it was bound for MI to disappoint. OW will be low and the second weekend drop will be brutal.

There was no reason for this to increase to like 300M domestic as i saw some predicting. TG2 halo effect made no sense. This is a different franchise and Cruise good will from TG2 again makes no sense. He is in the movie business for 40 years. People know what to expect. And good will, imo is  reserved more for directors who make several good movies, the following will increase, like Nolan.

It'll be pretty funny to come back to this when MI7 makes $800m+

Saying something will underperform massively even before reviews drop and when majority of the early reactions are overwhelmingly positive, just because a bunch of mid prior releases did poor is some weird dooming!

Also, isn't MI tracking on par with JW4 at the same point in its run which opened to $70m, even without EAs being accounted for and with reviews still being embargoed? That would still represent the biggest opening for any MI film domestically.

And no well reviewed Tom Cruise movie has made less than 3x its opening weekend! 

Edit: Even with all the hype around Barbie/Oppenheimer, I am still pretty confident that the two combined will make <$1B. With a weak August, why can't MI thrive just like how Top Gun did when JWD opened and took over all IMAX and most PLFs?

Edited by Algebra

27 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Yea, lot of trolls here. 5-day OW will clear 100m easily. Also BARBIE and OP won't outgross MI:DR. Forget TGM, that was never a target for sane people. However, this will do franchise best numbers.

Yeah, I haven't backed off my $300M+ total DOM range (but below Spidey, since I had this #2) that I picked pre-summer.  I won't until I hear the movie is mediocre to bad - if it's good, I still think people will come, especially b/c of the quality and box office issues of all the June movies except Spidey.

It's my "what else will folks see in PLF for 10 days" theory... Dog days of July summer need a great popcorn movie for college student/high school student viewing...and Indy doesn't seem like it will be it...

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 hours ago, Claudio said:

When you realized that none of MI movies broke a billion....

Also only 1 James bond movie broke it....

And both are the best action franchises ever exist in cinema history...

Sad noise.

:whosad:

Yeah real world spy action movies have a ceiling for whatever reason. They don't bring in the younger demo's like the CBM's do. Skyfall was just the perfect storm of being the 50th anniversary of Cinematic Bond and having that Dark Knight feel to it. 

Yeah, I don't get it. By all metrics, it's tracking to open at franchise best domestic numbers even before vast majority of social media reactions are released, let alone reviews and the RT score.

And just because two incredibly hyped movies are coming out a week later, will all the goodwill MI:DR earn suddenly disappear? If anything Boppenheimer will drop big in their following week once the initial hype wears off allowing MI to pick up again

4 minutes ago, Algebra said:

Yeah, I don't get it. By all metrics, it's tracking to open at franchise best domestic numbers even before vast majority of social media reactions are released, let alone reviews and the RT score.

And just because two incredibly hyped movies are coming out a week later, will all the goodwill MI:DR earn suddenly disappear? If anything Boppenheimer will drop big in their following week once the initial hype wears off allowing MI to pick up again

Mostly because the pre sales have not exploded yet which means this movie is dooooomed and that's what they trying to will to happen. This whole weird thing that the older demo will only see Oppenheimer and only has time for it.  I love that we are getting both these movies  and plan too see both.  I am guessing their a lot of others.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

I noticed that they added a few theatres for Barbie, at least in Kansai anyway. The initial release when they had the presale is almost like a limited release. But yeah I agree that it is not built to be a big hit here, even though the stars are somewhat popular here but nowhere near the Cruises and Depps of the world.

Is there any news about Oppenheimer's release? I am wondering how far they will push this back.