Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

29 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

They are all perfect standalone films so far. There will be some returning characters, but they all blend into the story nicely.

Defo IMAX or if nothing near you a PLF. This has to be seen on the biggest screen possible.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, even if there aren't "IMAX benefits" i'd still rather see it on as big a screen as possible.

48 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

See, again... This is just a weird take. A male character in a dress? What the hell does that even mean? 

A martial arts expert just because? What the heck are you even talking about?

Not weird at all, I think you are confused. What I mean is female characters are actually femine here and not the same copy paste "strong independent" archetype with tough male attitude.

Did you watch latest F&F sequels? All characters there are suddenly martial arts experts, professional shooters and best drivers in the world, even Dom's sister who obviously didn't have any background like that, it's just forced silly nonsense. Here only those characters who actually have a certain background have those skills, Hayley's character is a professional thief, but she is not a martial arts expert, great shooter or driver just to serve "strong independent woman" archetype, even if nothing in the backstory justifies that, she actually does only what she knows and needs help during fights or chases, I call this good writing.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Not weird at all, I think you are confused. What I mean is female characters are actually femine here and not the same copy paste "strong independent" archetype with tough male attitude.

Did you watch latest F&F sequels? All characters there are suddenly martial arts experts, professional shooters and best drivers in the world, even Dom's sister who obviously didn't have any background like that, it's just forced silly nonsense. Here only those characters who actually have a certain background have those skills, Hayley's character is a professional thief, but she is not a martial arts expert, great shooter or driver just to serve "strong independent woman" archetype, even if nothing in the backstory justifies that, she actually does only what she knows and needs help during fights or chases, I call this good writing.

Lmao my dude maybe go touch some grass. Feminine? Women that are strong characters are woke? Also you're complaining about Mia being... A good driver? When literally everyone else is a good driver? 

16 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Lmao my dude maybe go touch some grass. Feminine? Women that are strong characters are woke? Also you're complaining about Mia being... A good driver? When literally everyone else is a good driver? 

No lmao, in Fast X she was punching guys twice her size and winning fights she has never demonstrated she could before. It was pretty silly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Avatree said:

Anyone know if this is worth watching in an IMAX? Was shot with "IMAX approved cameras" but afaik it has no expanded image. It releases tomorrow here so trying to work out what format to get a ticket for tomorrow evening.

Yeah the screen doesn't expand in this one but it's well worth seeing in IMAX.

I hope those complaining about female characters’ combat ability apply equal scrutiny to Geriatric Jones in throwing punches Dial of Destiny, or John Wick being a walking talking killlshot

also, “woke” is a term that’s been so politicized by everyone across the spectrum that now it’s definition is in the eyes of the beholder.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 3

the walmart + screening was a stupid idea, should have just called it early fan screenings and opened it for everyone from day 1, took them til like the last week for it to show up on cinemark/fandango and ended up filling up nicely but im sure some probably avoided it cause they thought a subscription was needed

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

You are confused again. Let me explain again: poorly written female characters that have nothing behind them besides serving to an overused archetype just because it's trendy is what you can call "woke" I guess, let's not pretend they don't exist because those poorly written archetypes are everywhere, especially on Netflix and studios love to pretend it's something new and unusual every time when it's literally not, at all. Characters can and should be different, they don't have to be strong and independent just because every time. And hey, Emily Blant complained about that too not that long ago that most scripts that come her way have lazy "strong and independent woman" description and she always rolls her eyes when she sees it because it pretty much guarantees a boring, bland and poorly written character, well written strong characters are much more than that.

No, I'm complaining that literally everyone in F&F is a great fighter, shooter and driver, even if absolutely nothing implies that in their background. It was just an example of braindead writing.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

the walmart + screening was a stupid idea, should have just called it early fan screenings and opened it for everyone from day 1, took them til like the last week for it to show up on cinemark/fandango and ended up filling up nicely but im sure some probably avoided it cause they thought a subscription was needed

Yeah. Something I have to agree with Maggie on is that Paramount's marketing and release decisions on this have been  a little head scratching. And if the rumors are true Cruise has not been happy either. I really hope WOM is fire and it can get past that and dig in there and survive the buzzsaw coming.  People can see multiple movies I keep saying. 

34 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I hope those complaining about female characters’ combat ability apply equal scrutiny to Geriatric Jones in throwing punches Dial of Destiny, or John Wick being a walking talking killlshot

also, “woke” is a term that’s been so politicized by everyone across the spectrum that now it’s definition is in the eyes of the beholder.

John wick has an established world of what Wick is capable of. F&F does not really. She never was able to fight until it was convenient. I also would apply similar scrutiny to old Indy bit I haven't seen that movie yet.

Edited by Austin

Been following DR's tracking numbers and there really does seem to be a consistent ceiling for this franchise. After Top Gun 2's runaway success last year, I thought there might be a big Cruise-related boost—I thought perhaps it could approach 300m domestic or something—but it just doesn't seem like it's gonna happen at this point. Thing is, if a really established franchise wants to make a huge leap from installment to installment, you need the presence of a special x-factor (Dark Knight, Skyfall, Furious 7, etc. all had one) that unlocks a new segment of the moviegoing audience, and I think the hype surrounding Barbie & Oppenheimer has basically precluded any shot that DR had of doing so, even with amazing reviews and (I'm guessing) great WOM. Looks like 200-220m is the ceiling at this point and that's totally fine.

1 minute ago, Austin said:

But I'm not. Mia could never fight but then automatically turns into a jujitsu grandmaster.

The first film was about a street racing family and an undercover cop.

By the 7th film, cars were literally jumping from one skyscraper to another.

The 8th film featured a remote-controlled car army, and a car chase with  a nuclear submarine.

In the 9th film, they went to space.

But yeah, let’s draw the line of believability at Mia learning how to fight.

• Like 2

Saw one of the Walmart early screenings today, it wasn't packed but decently full. Incredible action sequences and I really liked the Grace character with Ethan. My theater seemed really into it throughout.

Spoiler

When Ethan jumped off the mountain, someone in the theater yelled, "You're in the danger zone!' That got a lot of laughs.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The first film was about a street racing family and an undercover cop.

By the 7th film, cars were literally jumping from one skyscraper to another.

The 8th film featured a remote-controlled car army, and a car chase with  a nuclear submarine.

In the 9th film, they went to space.

But yeah, let’s draw the line of believability at Mia learning how to fight.

Let's just say it's part of all F&F nonsense you listed, but people just accepted it and don't question that at this point.