Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

3 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Second viewing done. I think now I rate it a bit above FALLOUT. Audience loved it. Good graps and laughs. Loved that it feels a proper MI movie, probably the closest to the series of the McQ films. I can't argue if some people will point out the villain's backstory, but it is quite clear that we just got a small dose, lot of more to come in Part Two. Still feels like a complete film.

I conceded that second will be tough but WoM will carry this all way through August.  

Rogue Nation is my favorite of the movies, because for the climax it goes back to the TV series: where the villian is caught by an elaborate scheme rahter then a big final action sequence which is how the TV show worked. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Algebra said:

And the retirement age of the best fighter pilots is around 65. Also, there’s a very good reason given in the movie to let Cruise fly after being brought on as an instructor

And they spend the last half of their careers in ground commands. not flying combat missions. 40 is about the maximum age for a flying  combat aircraft. beleive me.

Yeah... This delivers. Impossible Cruise Force. Not quite the action off Fallout or the intrigue/suspense of Rogue Nation but just an irresistible sense of fun. Lotta charm. Huge smile. Action set pieces aside from the kinda dull opener are all just jaw on the floor shit. Funny to see the action chase in Rome then think just how much better than everything single thing Fast X did in Rome. Then think the train action set piece and then think Indy is just a poor, pathetic wannabe with whatever they tried to do with their train set piece.

I can't imagine word of mouth not being incredible. Cliffhanger not nearly as jarring or awkward as Fast X or AtSV for me too. 

• Like 2

Just got out of the theater and holy smokes does this movie bang. I have it under Fallout and Rogue Nation right now but I need a rewatch to clarify. There is also one scene that did not sit well with me but I may be able to let it wear off over time but man was it distracting for the rest of the film. I was pretty pissed. The rest of the movie is very good from the cold open to the spy intrigue to the stunts and the final train set piece. The entire train set piece might be the best sequence in the entire franchise.

Overall, a 9/10 from me strong recommend.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And they spend the last half of their careers in ground commands. not flying combat missions. 40 is about the maximum age for a flying  combat aircraft. beleive me.

Yeah true. But my second point still stands - they bring him on not as a pilot but as an instructor..and he forces them to make him fly because no one else has the juice

Nothing especially insightful to add other than it's midtier MI for me, which mean it's really solid, it's cool, and I like that it seems to be embracing more of the thriller aspect of the series over Fallout's bombast (which don't get me wrong, I really loved). Plot-wise felt more exposition heavy than usual and I do think that dragged things down a bit for me.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Austin said:

Just got out of the theater and holy smokes does this movie bang. I have it under Fallout and Rogue Nation right now but I need a rewatch to clarify. There is also one scene that did not sit well with me but I may be able to let it wear off over time but man was it distracting for the rest of the film. I was pretty pissed. The rest of the movie is very good from the cold open to the spy intrigue to the stunts and the final train set piece. The entire train set piece might be the best sequence in the entire franchise.

Overall, a 9/10 from me strong recommend.

Since I am 90% certain I know what that scene that bothers so many people is. I am at least prepared for it.  It does not seem to ruin the movie for people which is good.

Probably the best half a movie since like Matrix Reloaded though. Just insane setpiece after setpiece. For some reason, they showed the making of the Rome chase before the movie started (what was the point of that??? It literally revealed the structure of the whole scene) but even then, I was in awe of the shit they pulled there.

Also, Cruise's and Atwell's chemistry in their first scene together... Idk, didn't think that level of sexual tension was even allowed in blockbusters anymore.

16 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Also, Cruise's and Atwell's chemistry in their first scene together... Idk, didn't think that level of sexual tension was even allowed in blockbusters anymore.

Didn't ethan have a lover? 

I don't think that the youth will like such a motorcycling personality rowing from one place to another 

There's heaven, there's earth and there's the woman you love , with your body inbetween them 

Do you think that more or less or equally opposite people will be affected by ethan spending time with Miss Atwell instead of stunts? 

Because the stunts are big but they need something else to bind the story but only the almighty knows the truth

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, handofjustice said:

Didn't ethan have a lover? 

I don't think that the youth will like such a motorcycling personality rowing from one place to another 

There's heaven, there's earth and there's the woman you love , with your body inbetween them 

Do you think that more or less or equally opposite people will be affected by ethan spending time with Miss Atwell instead of stunts? 

Because the stunts are big but they need something else to bind the story but only the almighty knows the truth

Nearly fell off my chair reading this

Rewatched Ghost Protocol today.

This was the film that got me into M:I in the first place - it was the first one I saw, and it was the first one I remember the lead up to as well. In retrospect this really feels like the true "start" to the series we know and love - the big stunts, the team dynamic, the fact Ethan goes rogue in every movie, it all starts here. I know people tend to prefer McQuarrie on the large (I do as well) but goddamnit I wish Brad Bird directed more of these. He has a playful attitude that McQuarrie just doesn't and I love how he keeps everything light on it's feet despite the world ending stakes. It's insanely well shot, the comedy almost always works - the gags with the tech not working, most of Benji's lines, the entire big TV bit - and there is a strong story hook with Ethan. This is the film that really starts to treat him as a legendary, larger then life figure, and I think this does it the best. He starts and ends the movie shrouded in shadows or smoke like a ghost, waiting for the next mission.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

This was the film that got me into M:I in the first place - it was the first one I saw, and it was the first one I remember the lead up to as well. In retrospect this really feels like the true "start" to the series we know and love - the big stunts, the team dynamic, the fact Ethan goes rogue in every movie, it all starts here. I know people tend to prefer McQuarrie on the large (I do as well) but goddamnit I wish Brad Bird directed more of these. He has a playful attitude that McQuarrie just doesn't and I love how he keeps everything light on it's feet despite the world ending stakes. It's insanely well shot, the comedy almost always works - the gags with the tech not working, most of Benji's lines, the entire big TV bit - and there is a strong story hook with Ethan. This is the film that really starts to treat him as a legendary, larger then life figure, and I think this does it the best. He starts and ends the movie shrouded in shadows or smoke like a ghost, waiting for the next mission.

GP is my favorite in MI series! this is the movie which made me closer to hollywood since 2011 Dec!

4 hours ago, LegionWrex said:

Bird is a beast. Regarding playful vibes, thought Dead Reckoning had that more than any MI flick other than Ghost Protocol. Atwell infused some wonderful fun into this one. Outstanding addition.