grim22

Ghostbusters: Afterlife | November 19 2021 | Sony | Delayed again

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

They didn't have giant duds 4 years beforehand to contend with. After Ghostbusters 2016, why would you be excited for this? Because it (might) star kids?

I’m not particularly excited for this movie, but I’d imagine that the excitement for this movie would ultimately come down to the fact that this movie is supposed to serve as the long awaited GB3, as opposed to being a reboot like the 2016 version. 

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

I feel like the MRA backlash to the 2016 movie has forever tainted this property but I hope this turns out well. They're assembling a good cast, at least.

If this movie happened without the 2016 version, I think this had a chance to really break out as it would be the first of the franchise in a while and bring the original actors back as well. 2016 kind of stole its thunder.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

If this movie happened without the 2016 version, I think this had a chance to really break out as it would be the first of the franchise in a while and bring the original actors back as well. 2016 kind of stole its thunder.

Except this movie has the original cast in their original roles. Giving it novelty

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Except this movie has the original cast in their original roles. Giving it novelty

Plus I think most people forgot about the 2016 movie already as there really wasn't to the movie itself outside of the "controversy", which people have already moved on from too

Not saying this movie will do well at all but I think it's going to succeed or fail on its own merits

3 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

I don't like the name but that will not stop me from seeing it.

The only place the 2016 incarnation lives is the comic books.

This one has the chance to largely be what GB fans have been wanting.

Underline Chance.

Fact is, there has not been a good Ghostbusters film since the first. The sequel was too much of an imitation of the first ( a good sequel needs to bring something new to the table, GB2 did not) ;less said about the 2016 film the better.

I love the original film with a passion, but is sort of a busted franchise;none of the followups have come near to the original.

• Like 2

I agree. I used to like Ghostbusters 2 more than I do now, nowadays I’m definitely more “meh” about it. Ghostbusters has become like Jaws, Poltergeist or Men in Black where I only ever watch the first movie.

Edited by TServo2049

Rewatched Ghostbusters 2 on glorious 4k ultra Hd and I still like it. Not as good as the first but still entertaining with good chemistry between the cast, funny lines, and some genuinely creepy moments (Vigo the Carpathian scared me more than the terror dogs in the first as a kid, also that subway scene with the severed heads). The Titanic scene was so memorable that I assumed for a long time it was from the first 

Edited by John Marston

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Rewatched Ghostbusters 2 on glorious 4k ultra Hd and I still like it. Not as good as the first but still entertaining with good chemistry between the cast, funny lines, and some genuinely creepy moments (Vigo the Carpathian scared me more than the terror dogs in the first as a kid, also that subway scene with the severed heads). The Titanic scene was so memorable that I assumed for a long time it was from the first 

Oh, there a couple of good things in GHostbuster 2 (The Titainic scene was clever;and this was almost ten years before the Cameron movie came out) but too many of the jokes are just recycled from the original and fall flat; the infrequent good moments don't make up for having to sit through the failed material. For the record, The cast members are pretty open about not being happy about the way the sequel turned out.

But compared to Blue Brothers 2000..........

It also did not do anywhere near as well at the box office as Sony hoped;it was badly hurt by opening in the summer of 1989 against "Batman" and "Indy Jones and the Last Crusade".

Edited by dudalb