grim22

Ghostbusters: Afterlife | November 19 2021 | Sony | Delayed again

There’s a series on Netflix now called The Movies that made us. First season is Ghostbusters, Die Hard, Home Alone and Dirty Dancing. (It’s a follow on from The Toys that made us). 

The Ghostbusters episode is a pretty good retrospective. Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd wander around the original external locations and many others involved talk about their experience. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I don’t know how old a lot of you people are on here, but let me assure you....the kids of the 1980’s (I’m one of them) are all locked in after that trailer. They’ll bring their kids. 
This will be twice as big domestically as 2016. 

I agree with that, it’s just gonna be a hard pill to swallow for some people ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

There’s a series on Netflix now called The Movies that made us. First season is Ghostbusters, Die Hard, Home Alone and Dirty Dancing. (It’s a follow on from The Toys that made us). 

The Ghostbusters episode is a pretty good retrospective. Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd wander around the original external locations and many others involved talk about their experience. 

People here just don't get how big and how massive pop culture presence Ghostbusters was in 1984.

Though I have LOT off issues with a couple  of the choices made for The Movies That Mad Us. I would certainly suggest that A Chistmas Story probably has had more of a long term impact then Home Alone.

17 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

I agree with that, it’s just gonna be a hard pill to swallow for some people ;)

I don't know how this film will do, but I do think it's getting a lot of hate from the fans of the 2016 film many of whom still cannot accept it flopped.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I don't know how this film will do, but I do think it's getting a lot of hate from the fans of the 2016 film many of whom still cannot accept it flopped.

Does the 2016 remake really have that many fans? People pretty much seem to have forgotten about it. 

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Does the 2016 remake really have that many fans? People pretty much seem to have forgotten about it. 

GOod point;It does not have that many fans, but its' fans tend to be very loud.

I also think there is the whole political issue involved, but that is a can of worms I hesistate to open.

I am a fan of the 2016 version (I actually consider it way better than the original one, a movie that shares the same flaws as the remake but hides it behind a cloud of nostalgia), and I'm actually enjoying the looks of that 'sequel' but I'm sure it's going to flop for one reason: Trying to appeal to the new generation (who doesn't even know wtf GB is), while trying to bring old fans is something that rarely works. 

3 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

I am a fan of the 2016 version (I actually consider it way better than the original one, a movie that shares the same flaws as the remake but hides it behind a cloud of nostalgia), and I'm actually enjoying the looks of that 'sequel' but I'm sure it's going to flop for one reason: Trying to appeal to the new generation (who doesn't even know wtf GB is), while trying to bring old fans is something that rarely works. 

Ah, the, "OK Boomer" routine.

Looks like it could've made money if the 2016 disaster didn't happen. Now I'm not so sure, but it wouldn't be the first time a movie is able to overcome that feeling.

I gotta say that I admire Finn for cashing in that Stranger Things money so effectively. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

Looks like it could've made money if the 2016 disaster didn't happen. Now I'm not so sure, but it wouldn't be the first time a movie is able to overcome that feeling.

I gotta say that I admire Finn for cashing in that Stranger Things money so effectively. 

The 2016 remake made solid money, it was the huge budget that killed it. It got a good reception from both critics and audiences, and we would be getting a sequel by now if it weren't for that budget. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1

I'm very intrigued by this trailer and not an OG GB in sight. The setup seems promising and this trailer is a giant tease with lots of promise. It had more character development than all of the 2016 film.

Those who bashed the original fans for not liking GB16 cause...women look to lose that argument(if it ever had broad merit anyway).

Afterlife literally has a teen girl as the emotional center of this film it seems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I'm very intrigued by this trailer and not an OG GB in sight. The setup seems promising and this trailer is a giant tease with lots of promise. It had more character development than all of the 2016 film.

Those who bashed the original fans for not liking GB16 cause...women look to lose that argument(if it ever had broad merit anyway).

Afterlife literally has a teen girl as the emotional center of this film it seems.

I loved the way that if you did not like the 2016 film you were automatically a sexist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I loved the way that if you did not like the 2016 film you were automatically a sexist.

That sound like a gross exageration, both The Filmspotting guys (one of the biggest movie podcast on Itunes) gave it a bad reviews, no one ever suggested they were sexist.

There were some : If you didn't like the 2016 film in a way that felt different than how people usually do not like movies, this is true too.

On the one hand, I quite like the idea of the nostalgia being meta-textual. Paul Rudd is practically talking directly to the young audience who they want to grab with this. 

On the other hand, I have zero interest in Baby Ghostbusters. The original was endearing because it was four middle-aged slobs, and I can't be bothered with this Stranger Things baiting.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

Instant ass in seat on release day atm based on that trailer. That said, I'm a sucker for Super 8 and Stranger Things, so as for me, I don't need the old crew back anymore after seeing they're going the 80s, Spielberg/Abrams, Goonies route. Never thought I would say that anytime soon.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

People here just don't get how big and how massive pop culture presence Ghostbusters was in 1984.

Though I have LOT off issues with a couple  of the choices made for The Movies That Mad Us. I would certainly suggest that A Chistmas Story probably has had more of a long term impact then Home Alone.

One doesn't have to cancel out the other. I would also argue Home Alone is more relevant these days than Christmas Story (which was the kids Christmas movie for many years, but I think that has faded in recent times).