grim22

Ghostbusters: Afterlife | November 19 2021 | Sony | Delayed again

11/6/18 The Front Runner Sony $2,000,105 807 $51,543 4 7
5/4/18 Tully (2018) Focus $9,369,755 1,356 $3,282,610 1,353 6
10/1/14 Men, Women & Children Par. $705,908 608 $48,024 17 8
1/31/14 Labor Day Par. $13,371,528 2,584 $5,175,282 2,584 5
12/9/11 Young Adult Par. $16,311,571 987 $310,263 8 4

5 movies thru the 2010s that got wide releases and they all tanked this badly. it's actually kind of impressive. he's really got a nose for what people don't want.

Edited by CoolioD1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I see no reason why it should make more. No China and overseas numbers showed me that OS doesn't care one bit about this franchise. 

If there’s indeed some connections to the original 2 films as well as Bill Murray and etc reprising their roles, it’s gonna easily surpass it domestically.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

No China and overseas numbers showed me that OS doesn't care one bit about this franchise. 

They would care about it if it was a proper GB3. The only reason 2016 version bombed and this one will bomb too because nobody wanted these movies and nobody liked the cast, people wanted Force Awakens style GB3 with old cast passing a torch to new adult team, that version would have made a lot of money, especially with some big stars as new team members. They wanted Jonah Hill, Anne Hathaway and some other big names as new team. It would have made at least 500 mln WW, no matter of quality.

Edited by Firepower

In this movie's defense, one of the biggest faults that GB '16 had overseas was its cast. Wiig and McCarthy only have a domestic pull, while McKinnon and Jones have zero. The biggest draw for overseas audiences was Christ Hemsworth.

While this one will also have no-names and no starpower, at least this film can ride on the coattails of It/Stranger Things rather than rely on its actors.

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

They would care about it if it was a proper GB3. The only reason 2016 version bombed and this one will bomb too because nobody wanted these movies, people wanted Force Awakens style GB3 with old cast passing a torch to new adult team.

5 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

If there’s indeed some connections to the original 2 films as well as Bill Murray and etc reprising their roles, it’s gonna easily surpass it domestically.

I just think the OG cast is what made the original films so well liked and I have a hard time believing that this film is going to replicate that magic, if that makes sense. I could very well be wrong of course. But I’m still expecting a gross around $200 for it, which as I said for a $50M budget movie would be great but I doubt that’s what the budget for this is gonna be. 

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

While this one will also have no-names and no starpower, at least this film can ride on the coattails of It/Stranger Things rather than rely on its actors.

Or it could pull The Kid Who Would Be Shit numbers + some more millions from brand recognition/better marketing and bomb completely.

With the original cast coming back and with the story being a true sequel to Ghostbusters part 2 this one will more than likely clear 200 million in North America. Part of what made the female Ghostbusters such a horrible piece of crap was that a completely ignored the Ghostbusters universe. So I'm looking forward to this one I'm glad Jason Reitman is doing it and I'm glad the original cast is coming back including Bill Murray.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You guys are underestimating this for real. If this is indeed a continuation with the original cast, no matter if they’re (the leads) kids or teens, the film is still going to be huge. Maybe not $500M WW but certainly maybe $300M-$400M. This is a perfect opportunity to wash away that embarrassment of a reboot from 2016.

On 1/26/2019 at 11:19 PM, JB33 said:

Ugh, what is the point of this movie? Why, Sony? Why dip into this well?

This is the same studio that's still churning out Men In Black movies. Trailblazing originality is not its MO right now.

Edited by Hatebox

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

This is the same studio that's still churning out Men In Black movies. Trailblazing originality is not its MO right now.

As opposed to other studio's franchises which are just so original?

Edited by Clayman
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Christmas baumer said:

With the original cast coming back and with the story being a true sequel to Ghostbusters part 2 this one will more than likely clear 200 million in North America. Part of what made the female Ghostbusters such a horrible piece of crap was that a completely ignored the Ghostbusters universe. So I'm looking forward to this one I'm glad Jason Reitman is doing it and I'm glad the original cast is coming back including Bill Murray.

the original cast are not back, the cast is teenagers. maybe they will have small roles but that will not be enough to draw people in. unless its got some misdirection marketing which presents the original cast as the main characters here - in which case it'll have a good OW then drop like a rock and that'll be the end of the franchise.